To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
pepperonikkid

University of Massachusetts Nursing Dean Fired After Saying “Everyone’s Life Matters” [Updated]

Rate this topic

pepperonikkid

University of Massachusetts Nursing Dean Fired After Saying “Everyone’s Life Matters” [Updated]

https://jonathanturley.org/ 

JONATHAN TURLEY

July 2, 2020

Article:

We have been discussing the growing fear of professors and students over the loss of free speech on campuses for years, but recently those concerns have been greatly magnified with the investigation or termination of professors for expressing opposing views about police abuse, Black Lives Matter movement or aspects of the protests following the killing of George Floyd.  There is a sense of a new orthodoxy that does not allow for dissenting voices as campaigns are launched to fire faculty who are denounced as insensitive or even racist for such criticism.  The most recent controversy involves the recently installed University of Massachusetts-Lowell Dean of Nursing Leslie Neal-Boylan. Dr. Neal-Boylan had only been in her position for a few months when she was fired.  The reason, according to many reports, is that she sent an email on June 2 to the Solomont School of Nursing on the recent anti-racism demonstrations across the country that include the words “everyone’s life matters.” As a blog dedicated to free speech, it has been difficult to keep up with the rising number of cases of the curtailment of speech or academic freedom on our campuses.  What is equally alarming is the relative silence of most faculty members as individual professors are publicly denounced by their universities, forced into retirement, or outright terminated for expressing dissenting views.  This case however raises an equally serious concern over the loss of due process for academics who find themselves the focus of a campaign for removal — or simply summary dismissal.

I reached out to the University and updated the column with the response, which does not clarify most of these questions but suggests that the Dean may have been terminated for other reasons.  I have also reached out to Dr. Neal-Boylan for a response on both the cause and merits for her termination.

Dr. Neal-Boylan was heralded last September as a “visionary leader” by the university in taking over the deanship.  Her writings include strong advocacy for those with disabilities in the nursing field. Those writings show tremendous empathy and concern for inclusivity in the profession.

This controversy began when Dr. Neal-Boylan wrote the email which started with the following words: “Dear SSON Community,” the email provided to Campus Reform begins. “I am writing to express my concern and condemnation of the recent (and past) acts of violence against people of color. Recent events recall a tragic history of racism and bias that continue to thrive in this country. I despair for our future as a nation if we do not stand up against violence against anyone. BLACK LIVES MATTER, but also, EVERYONE’S LIFE MATTERS. No one should have to live in fear that they will be targeted for how they look or what they believe.”

One can understand that many felt that the statement detracted from the need to focus on the treatment and loss of black lives. However, one can also read these words as a nursing dean expressing opposition to all violence.  However, the email was immediately denounced in a tweet as “uncalled for” and “upsetting”  by “Haley.”  The university quickly responded to Haley and said “Haley – Thank you for bringing this to our attention. The university hears you and we believe black lives matter. See the letter the chancellor sent out Monday.”  The letter isa statement in support of Black Lives Matter.  Soon thereafter the University reportedly fired Dr. Neal-Boylan.

Full Story

Ticked@TinselTown

The truth cannot be allowed to be spoken when an agenda is white hot and the money is pouring in as fast as it is right now...

• Like (+1) 1

USNRETWIFE

How many want to go into a hospital with a life threatening emergency and have nurses who went to this school of nursing, where they teach that not all lives matter?  I guess if you are black, you are safe, but what kind of treatment are you going to get if you are any other race? 

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

Dean Adam Smithee
2 hours ago, pepperonikkid said:

...The most recent controversy involves the recently installed University of Massachusetts-Lowell Dean of Nursing Leslie Neal-Boylan. Dr. Neal-Boylan had only been in her position for a few months when she was fired.  The reason, according to many reports, is that she sent an email on June 2 to the Solomont School of Nursing on the recent anti-racism demonstrations across the country that include the words “everyone’s life matters.” ...

So, add UMA-Lowell to the increasingly long list of Universities I am "'boycotting" by not hiring alumni from.

When I first got to Georgia with my small biz in '12 or so, it didn't take long to figure out that other similar small engineering firms had a preference for alumni from Auburn in next-door Alabama. At first I dismissed this as just the "Good Ole Boy" network. At some point it dawned on me WHY; I've met idiot engineers from OTHER schools who couldn't engineer their way out of a wet paper sack.  But of all the Auburn engineers I've met, not one falls into that category.

• Agree (+1) 1

RedSoloCup
2 hours ago, Ticked@TinselTown said:

The truth cannot be allowed to be spoken when an agenda is white hot and the money is pouring in as fast as it is right now...

:exactly:

Dean Adam Smithee
1 hour ago, USNRETWIFE said:

How many want to go into a hospital with a life threatening emergency and have nurses who went to this school of nursing, where they teach that not all lives matter?  I guess if you are black, you are safe, but what kind of treatment are you going to get if you are any other race? 

As (volunteer) EMS in Cobb County GA, ALL Lives matter, and I can also say that freely here without fear of retribution. If a person thinks that ("ONLY") Black Lives Matter, then I have no use for them on my team.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 2

Howsithangin
6 hours ago, Ticked@TinselTown said:

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act"

--Orwell