John Lewis, congressman and civil rights leader, dead at 80

Rate this topic

pepperonikkid

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/

by Noah Garfinkel

July 17, 2020

Article:

John Lewis, the Georgia Democratic congressman and civil rights leader who was beaten on Bloody Sunday in Alabama in 1965, died at 80 on Friday.

At the end of December, Lewis announced that he was undergoing treatment for stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

Lewis, a confidante of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., was among the last surviving leaders of the civil rights movement. Known as the "conscience of the House," Lewis had represented Georgia's 5th Congressional District since 1987.

In the 1960s, he embraced King's message of nonviolent protest against racist, white local and state officials. Over the following years, he participated in the Nashville, Tennessee, lunch counter sit-ins, the 1961 Freedom Rides, the 1963 March on Washington, and the 1965 Bloody Sunday march in Alabama, during which he was beaten by a state trooper.

Full story

Howsithangin

Bye

• Agree (+1) 1

Taggart Transcontinental

Yep.

• Agree (+1) 1

zurg

My statement: _____ . 

• Agree (+1) 1

Ladybird
Posted (edited)

I read they may rename the Edmund Pettus bridge after him.  Good choice. May he RIP.

Edited by MTP Reggie
Removed quoted post now deleted.
  • Haha (+1) 1

Howsithangin
Posted (edited)
44 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

I read they may rename the Edmund Pettus bridge after him.  Good choice. May he RIP.

Won't be a single road, building, bridge, statue, museum, boat, ship, plane, airport, brand, college, scholarship or anything else with a white name on it by the time The Left's storm troopers get done.  We'll be naming bridges after POC who performed such magnificent deeds as inventing the paperclip or the scrunchie

Edited by Howsithangin
  • Agree (+1) 3

Dean Adam Smithee
21 minutes ago, Howsithangin said:

Won't be a single road, building, bridge, statue, museum, boat, ship, plane, airport, brand, college, scholarship or anything else with a white name on it by the time The Left's storm troopers get done.  We'll be naming bridges after POC who performed such magnificent deeds as inventing the paperclip or the scrunchie

Yup.

I will mourn John Lewis's passing for ONE reason only: Here in the Atlanta area, they just aren't very original when it comes to street names. There's at least 71 different streets or roads with the word "Peachtree" in the name. I'm willing to bet that by this time next year there will be at least twice that many with the name "John Lewis".

Heck, it's already started, they've renamed Freedom Parkway to...

586640724_1140x641.png

... and that was even BEFORE he died. Next thing you know there will be a John Lewis avenue,  John Lewis street, John Lewis boulevard, John Lewis Memorial boulevard, John Lewis BLM boulevard, etc., etc.

• Agree (+1) 1

grimreefer

Not a fan of the guy but he did do some good earlier in life so may he rest in peace.

* He has a whole ship class named after him now since the first new T-ATX Oiler built at NASSCO shipyard in San Diego is the USNS John Lewis. Also not a fan of naming ships after living people but it was a decision from Bobo's clown show.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

kestrel

RIP John Lewis and may God comfort his family.

Kestrel...

Ladybird
1 hour ago, Howsithangin said:

I know. Up in these parts, there’s even a push to rename Rochester Airport after Frederick Douglas.. Gosh almighty! 

Oathtaker

Condolences.

• Agree (+1) 1

Magic Rat
8 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

I know. Up in these parts, there’s even a push to rename Rochester Airport after Frederick Douglas.. Gosh almighty! 

Probably not a good idea.  Peaceful protesters will burn it down.  

• Best Post (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 2

Magic Rat

Glad I'm going out of town this afternoon.  This way I can avoid all the over praising and phony eulogies.  "A civil rights giant, blah, blah, blah...  Such courage and conviction, crap, crap crap...  He'll be sorely missed, we could all learn something from his example, bull<censored>, bull<censored>, bull<censored>..."  Barf!

• Best Post (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 2

RedSoloCup
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, pepperonikkid said:

https://www.washingtonexaminer.com/

by Noah Garfinkel

July 17, 2020

Article:

John Lewis, the Georgia Democratic congressman and civil rights leader who was beaten on Bloody Sunday in Alabama in 1965, died at 80 on Friday.

At the end of December, Lewis announced that he was undergoing treatment for stage 4 pancreatic cancer.

Lewis, a confidante of Dr. Martin Luther King Jr., was among the last surviving leaders of the civil rights movement. Known as the "conscience of the House," Lewis had represented Georgia's 5th Congressional District since 1987.

In the 1960s, he embraced King's message of nonviolent protest against racist, white local and state officials. Over the following years, he participated in the Nashville, Tennessee, lunch counter sit-ins, the 1961 Freedom Rides, the 1963 March on Washington, and the 1965 Bloody Sunday march in Alabama, during which he was beaten by a state trooper.

Full story

:zip:

Edited by RedSoloCup

RedSoloCup
2 hours ago, Howsithangin said:

Had he stopped at civil rights leader and not morphed into a racemonger, I believe people's.opinion would be different. As for civility in grace, those are the first to go in a war.  And make no mistake, we are in a Civil War vs The Left, who has not possessed either civility or grace since I first started getting interested in politics, which was the Reagan era.  Indeed, in all of the hundreds of posts illustrating such over the years that you have been a member here, I'm hard pressed to remember much (if any) pushback or criticism of it when the source is a democrat.

:exactly:

Howsithangin
39 minutes ago, Magic Rat said:

Glad I'm going out of town this afternoon.  This way I can avoid all the over praising and phony eulogies.  "A civil rights giant, blah, blah, blah...  Such courage and conviction, crap, crap crap...  He'll be sorely missed, we could all learn something from his example, bull<censored>, bull<censored>, bull<censored>..."  Barf!

It's gotten such that anytime a prominent black politician or entertainer dies, the media launches the wailing-and-crying machine that we're all supposed to perform, for a minimum of 3-5 days,.  Very third world.  In the case of Lebron, it was a month, I swear.

• Agree (+1) 2

Howsithangin
53 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

Glad to see you acknowledge my point. 

• Agree (+1) 2

zurg
1 minute ago, Howsithangin said:

It's gotten such that anytime a prominent black politician or entertainer dies, the media launches the wailing-and-crying machine that we're all supposed to perform, for a minimum of 3-5 days,.  Very third world.  In the case of Lebron, it was a month, I swear.

Kobe? 

But I agree. 

Howsithangin
Just now, zurg said:

Kobe? 

But I agree. 

whatever.  I"m not a sports guy. :P

Magic Rat
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Howsithangin said:

All the sad looks, head shaking and synthetic piety makes me sick.  And if you don't jump on the boat, you are simply a racist.  Sharpton will be at the funeral and bunch of lousy musicians will put on a concert, hamming up "gospel" standards.  It's going to be really interesting to hear JayZ's Take My Hand Precious Lord.

Edited by Magic Rat
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 3

Howsithangin
2 minutes ago, Magic Rat said:

All the sad looks, head shaking and synthetic piety makes me sick.  And if you don't jump on the boat, you are simply a racist.

Mob mentality, mob motion.  If one reads up on 1930s Germany, one will recognize the same behavior.  

• Agree (+1) 3

MontyPython
52 minutes ago, Magic Rat said:

Glad I'm going out of town this afternoon. 

Going north?

:)