Sign in to follow this  
Capn'D

The crisis that shocked the world: America’s response to the coronavirus

Rate this topic

Capn'D

Washington Post

Joel Achenbach, William Wan, Karin Brulliard, Chelsea Janes

16 hrs ago

Isabelle Papadimitriou, 64, a respiratory therapist in Dallas, had been treating a surge of patients as the Texas economy reopened. She developed covid-19 symptoms June 27 and tested positive two days later. The disease was swift and brutal. She died the morning of the Fourth of July.

The holiday had always been her daughter’s favorite. Fiana Tulip loved the family cookouts, the fireworks, the feeling of America united. Now, she wonders whether she’ll ever be able to celebrate it again. In mourning, she’s furious.

Tulip, 40, had seen her country fail to control the novel coronavirus. She had seen Texas ease restrictions even as case counts and hospitalizations soared. She had seen fellow citizens refuse to wear masks or engage in social distancing.

Isabelle Papadimitriou devoted herself to treating patients as a respiratory therapist in Dallas. She was stricken with covid-19 as it surged in her state, and died on the Fourth of July. 

“I feel like her death was a hundred percent preventable. I’m angry at the Trump administration. I’m angry with the state of our politics. I’m angry at the people who even now refuse to wear masks,” she said.

Six months after the coronavirus appeared in America, the nation has failed spectacularly to contain it. The country’s ineffective response has shocked observers around the planet.

Many countries have rigorously driven infection rates nearly to zero. In the United States, coronavirus transmission is out of control. The national response is fragmented, shot through with political rancor and culture-war divisiveness. Testing shortcomings that revealed themselves in March have become acute in July, with week-long waits for results leaving the country blind to real-time virus spread and rendering contact tracing nearly irrelevant.

• Disagree (-1) 4
  • Agree (+1) 1

Noclevermoniker
15 minutes ago, Capn'D said:

Washington Post

16 hrs ago

Isabelle Papadimitriou, 64, a respiratory therapist in Dallas, had been treating a surge of patients as the Texas economy reopened. She developed covid-19 symptoms June 27 and tested positive two days later. The disease was swift and brutal. She died the morning of the Fourth of July.

The holiday had always been her daughter’s favorite. Fiana Tulip loved the family cookouts, the fireworks, the feeling of America united. Now, she wonders whether she’ll ever be able to celebrate it again. In mourning, she’s furious.

Tulip, 40, had seen her country fail to control the novel coronavirus. She had seen Texas ease restrictions even as case counts and hospitalizations soared. She had seen fellow citizens refuse to wear masks or engage in social distancing.

Isabelle Papadimitriou devoted herself to treating patients as a respiratory therapist in Dallas. She was stricken with covid-19 as it surged in her state, and died on the Fourth of July. 

“I feel like her death was a hundred percent preventable. I’m angry at the Trump administration. I’m angry with the state of our politics. I’m angry at the people who even now refuse to wear masks,” she said.

Six months after the coronavirus appeared in America, the nation has failed spectacularly to contain it. The country’s ineffective response has shocked observers around the planet.

Many countries have rigorously driven infection rates nearly to zero. In the United States, coronavirus transmission is out of control. The national response is fragmented, shot through with political rancor and culture-war divisiveness. Testing shortcomings that revealed themselves in March have become acute in July, with week-long waits for results leaving the country blind to real-time virus spread and rendering contact tracing nearly irrelevant.

It’s the end of the world!  Make sure you volunteer by offing yourself in advance, troll. 

• Best Post (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 2

KenpoDude

It's NOT a novel virus.  We already have a great deal of immunity to it.  This is all just hooey.

Fear.  Fear.  We must fear the boogey virus.

• Agree (+1) 3

firecoco

On an average day in this country 8000 people die

• Agree (+1) 3

Rock N' Roll Right Winger
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, firecoco said:

In an average year doctors and medical institutions kill over 440,000 people in this country alone.

Edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger
  • Disagree (-1) 2
  • Agree (+1) 4

RedSoloCup
1 hour ago, Capn'D said:

Washington Post

16 hrs ago

:yawn:

• Like (+1) 1

Ticked@TinselTown

An indictment piece from The Bezos... erm, The Washington Post, is as fact filled and impressive as what I clean out of the cat box twice daily.

But, thanks for the troll droppings, Capn!  You never fail to deliver those.

• Best Post (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 3
  • Disagree (-1) 1

Rock N' Roll Right Winger
5 minutes ago, Ticked@TinselTown said:

An indictment piece from The Bezos... erm, The Washington Post, is as fact filled and impressive as what I clean out of the cat box twice daily.

But, thanks for the troll droppings, Capn!  You never fail to deliver those.

:high5:

• Disagree (-1) 2
  • Agree (+1) 3

Ticked@TinselTown
1 minute ago, Rock N' Roll Right Winger said:

:high5:

:2up:

• Disagree (-1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 3

Holland25
3 hours ago, ThePatriot said:

Cut/Paste

Funny how fear mongers only post anecdotal cases and ignore the big picture and the science.

Apparently we are to ignore the actual number of people who have died as a direct result of the virus, which last I checked, was around 42k - to put that in perspective, a bad flu season is 80k deaths.

We're also apparently supposed to ignore that the death rate continues to decline, that the virus is NOT novel which means there was already some immunity among the populace, and that masks do NOTHING to prevent the spread of the virus nor stop anyone from catching it.

We're also apparently supposed to ignore all the false reporting and magical "re-classification" of deaths as "covid related" when NO tests were even conducted to warrant any such reclassification.

Well, morons who want to believe this virus is any more harmful than the flu are willfully clueless, and if they expect other people to follow their stupidity, they can go pound sand!

You are right on. It is maddening the freaks who live in constant fear and believe the endless lies of the media, politicians and public health. How about the fact that as viruses mutate they become weaker not stronger. It is a parasite and needs a healthy host not a dead one. It is killed within a few moments of being exposed to sunlight yet morons are walking the countryside with masks afraid that covid is everywhere. Exposure is inevitable for everyone. PPE will not stop that. We are also to believe that the covid virus is from a distant galaxy because this virus is unlike anything we ever encountered on Earth.  You build an immunity to anything but not this "unique" covid virus. It is all about total control and hurting the presidents election hopes. It is about feckless, creepy despots stepping all over your rights and freedoms in the name of public health. I am ready to fight over this. Of course the most troublesome aspect of this is how cowardly and weak Americans have become. These mindless sheep believe it is so virtuous obeying all their commands. I said it before. I am a nurse. Not saying that makes me any smarter or more informed but at least I am unplugged from the Matrix

• Agree (+1) 2

AntonToo
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, firecoco said:

But as of late ~500-1000 from Covid-19.

143,000 to date.

Edited by AntonToo
  • Disagree (-1) 3

AntonToo
3 hours ago, Rock N' Roll Right Winger said:

In an average year doctors and medical institutions kill over 440,000 people in this country alone.

The sad part is that you actually belive such insane horsecrap.

• Disagree (-1) 3

AntonToo
3 hours ago, ThePatriot said:

Apparently we are to ignore the actual number of people who have died as a direct result of the virus, which last I checked, was around 42k - to put that in perspective, a bad flu season is 80k deaths.

:rolleyes: Go ahead and try to source your (bs) numbers.

• Disagree (-1) 4

Hieronymous
3 hours ago, firecoco said:

Guess I better shelter in place then.  

• Haha (+1) 1

Taggart Transcontinental
4 hours ago, ThePatriot said:

Cut/Paste

Funny how fear mongers only post anecdotal cases and ignore the big picture and the science.

We're also apparently supposed to ignore that the death rate continues to decline, that the virus is NOT novel which means there was already some immunity among the populace, and that masks do NOTHING to prevent the spread of the virus nor stop anyone from catching it.

We're also apparently supposed to ignore all the false reporting and magical "re-classification" of deaths as "covid related" when NO tests were even conducted to warrant any such reclassification.

Well, morons who want to believe this virus is any more harmful than the flu are willfully clueless, and if they expect other people to follow their stupidity, they can go pound sand!

Remember anecdotes are only useful in one direction, and that is to support their perception that American's must submit to this crap. They ignore the facts that Demoncrats literally murdered their own citizens by pushing positive people into old folks homes but turn around and say that we in the south are killing people.

Truly the most despicable.

• Agree (+1) 2

Taggart Transcontinental
4 hours ago, Noclevermoniker said:

It’s the end of the world!  Make sure you volunteer by offing yourself in advance, troll. 

• Agree (+1) 1

Taggart Transcontinental
4 hours ago, firecoco said:

And apparently currently they are all dying because of Wuhan Flu.

• Agree (+1) 2

Dean Adam Smithee

Cut/Paste

Yes, there's a LOT of that going around... on BOTH sides. Erick Erickson was covering this today on his radio program: Way too many on BOTH sides want to cherry pick data until they hear what they want to hear that confirms what they've already made up their mind about, while finding excuses to disregard what they don't want to hear.

I tend to agree with Erickson: It's not "Justinian Plague II" as some on the left want to portray it, but it's also not a "nothingburger" as some on the right want to portray it, EITHER.

Perhaps you should check again, it's around 128,000 and the 2019-'20 flu season was between 24,000 and 62,000. (Same source for BOTH sets of numbers.) And it's not over yet.

• Agree (+1) 1

moocow
6 minutes ago, Dean Adam Smithee said:

Yes, there's a LOT of that going around... on BOTH sides. Erick Erickson was covering this today on his radio program: Way too many on BOTH sides want to cherry pick data until they hear what they want to hear that confirms what they've already made up their mind about, while finding excuses to disregard what they don't want to hear.

I tend to agree with Erickson: It's not "Justinian Plague II" as some on the left want to portray it, but it's also not a "nothingburger" as some on the right want to portray it, EITHER.

Perhaps you should check again, it's around 128,000 and the 2019-'20 flu season was between 24,000 and 62,000. (Same source for BOTH sets of numbers.) And it's not over yet.

That's if you believe those numbers.  And an honest question is, why should I believe pretty much anything published about this virus, particularly anything from the gov or or reported by the states.  Florida has been caught with fake numbers, including a motorcycle death attributed to COVID.  Texas is showing on their death certificates that COVID can be listed without a test. 

And there's certainly the political agenda on this which will cloud everything over.  For example, do you think hydroxychloriquine is effective against COVID?  We've got quite a few reports on that now?  As well as at least one fake study from Sugisphere.  

ThePatriot
1 hour ago, AntonToo said:

:rolleyes: Go ahead and try to source your (bs) numbers.

I've already sourced them countless times over the last 4 months (even in this thread now).

It's no one's fault but your own that your too inept to figure things out for yourself.  :comfort:

• Agree (+1) 1

Dean Adam Smithee
3 minutes ago, moocow said:

That's if you believe those numbers.  And an honest question is, why should I believe pretty much anything published about this virus, particularly anything from the gov or or reported by the states.  Florida has been caught with fake numbers, including a motorcycle death attributed to COVID.  Texas is showing on their death certificates that COVID can be listed without a test. 

And there's certainly the political agenda on this which will cloud everything over.  For example, do you think hydroxychloriquine is effective against COVID?  We've got quite a few reports on that now?  As well as at least one fake study from Sugisphere.  

I'm "skeptical" of HCQ. It's possibly effective for some... but I doubt it's the be-all end-all that others purport it to be. YES, we've got quite a few studies now. MOST say it doesn't do anything. The few that DO, combine it with other things, and maybe it's the "other things" that are primarily doing it? I dunno. I'm not a virologist or epidemiologist. Heck, I'm not an anything-ist, medically speaking. What I *AM* is a person willing to listen to the authorities who are.

Dean Adam Smithee
22 minutes ago, ThePatriot said:

100% wrong there, Adam.  According to the CDC (if they can be trusted), deaths involving covid19 excluding influenza is currently sitting at 55,244.  The number you're recklessly parroting are "covid related" deaths which is a wholly fabricated number that includes deaths caused by motorcycle accidents, shootings, "re-classified" deaths where no testing whatsoever was done, and undiagnosed causes.

And a few years ago, 80,000 Americans died from the flu.

So while covid19 exists, it's NO WORSE than the flu and all the fear mongering by the media and the politicians is COMPLETELY unwarranted and aimed towards controlling the populace and preventing Trump's re-election.  That's it.  End of story.

Yes, the 55,244 number is valid... as a comparison number for co-morbidity (And it's well-known that comorbidity IS a factor).

55,244 had covid-19 AND influenza. Would they have died of influenza anyway WITHOUT COVID-19  as an aggravating factor? Well, we'll never know. But given the small fraction of those who die from influenza alone, I suspect it would be an even smaller fraction.

Your argument defeats itself.

• Agree (+1) 1

ThePatriot
Posted (edited)
39 minutes ago, Dean Adam Smithee said:

Yes, the 55,244 number is valid... as a comparison number for co-morbidity (And it's well-known that comorbidity IS a factor).

55,244 had covid-19 AND influenza. Would they have died of influenza anyway WITHOUT COVID-19  as an aggravating factor? Well, we'll never know. But given the small fraction of those who die from influenza alone, I suspect it would be an even smaller fraction.

Your argument defeats itself.

Wrong again my friend - 55,244 covid19 and pneumonia EXCLUDING influenza - and that is a waaaayyyyy more accurate number of actual covid deaths than the completely made up number of "all deaths INVOLVING covid19".

You understand that a person who died of a gunshot wound but also had covid19 is COUNTED in that bogus 128k number you're citing, right?  And that people who die as a result of motorcycle accidents but also have covid19 are COUNTED in that bogus 128k number you're citing, right?

Also counted among them are the THOUSANDS of "re-classified" deaths that the Mayor of New York, Bill DeBlasio, just magically decided were due to covid19 without a single test.

The articles highlighting the FACTS above have been posted on this site - surely you've seen them, Adam.

Don't be one of those people who cherry pick data until they hear what they want to hear that confirms what they've already made up their mind about, while finding excuses to disregard what they don't want to hear.

And my argument is rock solid.  Yours, on the other hand, seems to be built on quick sand and is sinking quickly. ;)

Edited by ThePatriot