pepperonikkid

Award-winning “Fox & Friends” host fired

Rate this topic

pepperonikkid

Award-winning “Fox & Friends” host fired

https://thehornnews.com/

JULY 24, 2020

Article:

Fox News confirmed it “parted ways” with an award-winning anchor after she reportedly showed up to work “visibly ill” at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic.

Fox released early morning “Fox & Friends First” star Heather Childers following reports in March that she reportedly came to work in the New York City office “visibly sick” and coughing.

“Fox News and Heather Childers have parted ways,” Fox News said in a short statement Thursday. “We wish her all the best.”

Childers hasn’t appeared on-air since March. On social media, she has denied that she came to work ill and claimed a doctor had cleared her.

She later tested negative for coronavirus.

Childers has won multiple awards during her broadcasting career, including the National Academy of Television Journalists award for Best Female News Anchor.

Full Story

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

I hope that she sues them and wins big money.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 3

Ticked@TinselTown

That's a pretty chicken sh*t move...  

• Agree (+1) 2

searcher

Too much fear is a bad thing.

Mark

ThePatriot

I'm with RRRW on this - hope she sues and wins big.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

ASE
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Rock N' Roll Right Winger said:

You aren't making sense. She should have stayed home until the test (if indeed accurate) proved she was not a risk to others. What if she actually did have the virus and passed it to someone else at Fox? Fox would get sued for not making her go home until cleared. Would YOU work next to someone obviously sick while this virus is making the rounds, or would you expect your employer to do what it needed to keep you and others safe, until you knew the person didn't have the virus?

Edited by ASE
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree (-1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 2

Junto

I bet CNN/MSNBC wouldn't have done their news actors like that...

• Agree (+1) 2

moocow
1 hour ago, ASE said:

Then send her home and tell her not to come back until she’s well. Coming to work sick, as far as I’ve ever known, has never been a fireable offense. 

• Agree (+1) 1

Rock N' Roll Right Winger
Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, ASE said:

Yes. 

I have worked around a few people who had the seasonal flu back in January and March. They both were so bad that they were both hospitalized. What they had was far worse than covid19. Both of them had taken flu shots too.

Life is full of "what ifs". She did not have the virus so she should not have been fired for it anyhow. As was said above it is not a fireable offense for coming to work sick.

That's like saying when a person is legally conceal carrying a pistol "what if it goes off" and firing that person just for carrying it.

People need to deal with being overly paranoid.

Edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger
  • Agree (+1) 2

Magic Rat
12 hours ago, moocow said:

Then send her home and tell her not to come back until she’s well. Coming to work sick, as far as I’ve ever known, has never been a fireable offense. 

If you worked for me and you came to work "visibly ill", it could very possibly be a "fireable offense.  That is why my employees had paid sick days.  Covid or not, the last thing other employees need or want is someone hacking, coughing, sneezing in the office.  I probably wouldn't do it the first time.  I'd send you home.  But if it happened again, I probably would.  Grown ups are  supposed to be responsible and courteous when you share space with others.  If adults can't act like adults they can go find work elsewhere.

• Like (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 2

Junto
Just now, Magic Rat said:

If you worked for me and you came to work "visibly ill", it could very possibly be a "fireable offense.  That is why my employees had paid sick days.  Covid or not, the last thing other employees need or want is someone hacking, coughing, sneezing in the office.  I probably wouldn't do it the first time.  I'd send you home.  But if it happened again, I probably would.  Grown ups are  supposed to be responsible and courteous when you share space with others.  If adults can't act like adults they can go find work elsewhere.

Would you give someone a point against their attendance record for calling off 'sick'? If that person missed too many days because they were sick would you fire them?  

Magic Rat
Posted (edited)
4 minutes ago, Junto said:

Would you give someone a point against their attendance record for calling off 'sick'? If that person missed too many days because they were sick would you fire them?  

I didn't have a "point system".  If they took too many days or too many occurrences, I'd fire them too.  Like I said, these people are supposed to be adults. Since most positions are minimum plus commission, malingerers are weeded out rather quickly anyway.

Edited by Magic Rat
  • Agree (+1) 1

Junto
1 minute ago, Magic Rat said:

I didn't have a "point system".  If the took too many days or too many occurrences, I'd fire them too.  Like I said, these people are supposed to be adults. Since most positions are minimum plus commission, malingerers are weeded out rather quickly anyway.

So if I miss too many days for being sick, I get fired. I also get fired for coming to work sick. Doesn't seem to be a lot of room for regular adults experiencing life.

Do you at least get a sense or idea why some might feel pressure to come in to work sick to avoid attendance issues or failing to produce for their employer (you)? Just seems kind of callous (dare I say heartless) to put it the way you did - but I've never owned my own business and I'm sure I'd have a different attitude were it my business.

Magic Rat
4 minutes ago, Junto said:

So if I miss too many days for being sick, I get fired. I also get fired for coming to work sick. Doesn't seem to be a lot of room for regular adults experiencing life.

Do you at least get a sense or idea why some might feel pressure to come in to work sick to avoid attendance issues or failing to produce for their employer (you)? Just seems kind of callous (dare I say heartless) to put it the way you did - but I've never owned my own business and I'm sure I'd have a different attitude were it my business.

Yes.  If you miss too many days, you can get fired.  If you have a chronic malady or a family member does, I'd take it in consideration, of course.  I could also fire you if you came to work "visibly ill".  If some "might feel pressure", they can go work for someone who will put up with that kind of crap.  Why would I want an employee who is so selfish, she is willing to make coworkers sick because she "feels pressure"?

• Agree (+1) 1

Junto
2 minutes ago, Magic Rat said:

Yes.  If you miss too many days, you can get fired.  If you have a chronic malady or a family member does, I'd take it in consideration, of course.  I could also fire you if you came to work "visibly ill".  If some "might feel pressure", they can go work for someone who will put up with that kind of crap.  Why would I want an employee who is so selfish, she is willing to make coworkers sick because she "feels pressure"?

Sounds like I'd withdraw my employment application long before you walked me around on a tour of the place. ;)

Magic Rat
2 minutes ago, Junto said:

Sounds like I'd withdraw my employment application long before you walked me around on a tour of the place. ;)

That is your right and privilege.

• Agree (+1) 1

Moderator T
23 hours ago, Rock N' Roll Right Winger said:

What exactly is she supposed to sue for to win this big money? 

New York is an at will state.  I'm not sure if she was in a union as an on screen personality, but if not or if she didn't have a contract limiting the reasons they can fire her, then they can fire her for any legal (non discriminatory) reason.  I'm going to go out on a limb and guess that at some point FNC, like every other employer in the country at some point sent a memo or an email to their employees telling them to stay home if they have any of the various COVID symptoms.  If she chose to come to work anyhow that's insubordination. 

• Disagree (-1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

Magic Rat
7 hours ago, Rock N' Roll Right Winger said:

Yes. 

I have worked around a few people who had the seasonal flu back in January and March. They both were so bad that they were both hospitalized. What they had was far worse than covid19. Both of them had taken flu shots too.

Life is full of "what ifs". She did not have the virus so she should not have been fired for it anyhow. As was said above it is not a fireable offense for coming to work sick.

That's like saying when a person is legally conceal carrying a pistol "what if it goes off" and firing that person just for carrying it.

People need to deal with being overly paranoid.

Like I said, it sure could be a "fireable offense" and the bold is a really, really dumb analogy.  Firearms don't spontaneously "go off" uncontrollably the way coughs and sneezes do.  Neither do they leave residue on surfaces the way bodily fluids do.  This is what spreads viruses, whether is is corona virus or even the common cold.

• Disagree (-1) 2
  • Agree (+1) 2

Major Payne
21 hours ago, Magic Rat said:

Like I said, it sure could be a "fireable offense" and the bold is a really, really dumb analogy.  Firearms don't spontaneously "go off" uncontrollably the way coughs and sneezes do.  Neither do they leave residue on surfaces the way bodily fluids do.  This is what spreads viruses, whether is is corona virus or even the common cold.

It's only dumb to someone like you because the analogy was about potential danger and that obviously flew right over your head.

Guns have accidentally gone off many times while people have carried them. I know that's news to you?

My employer's attorneys used that excuse against state law to try to ban us from carrying concealed on the job and on district property and their vehicles (a public utility) but we appealed to the state and the employer was overruled because the Ky. law specifically forbids public employers from doing so.

MontyPython
32 minutes ago, Major Payne said:

It's only dumb to someone like you because the analogy was about potential danger and that obviously flew right over your head.

Guns have accidentally gone off many times while people have carried them. I know that's news to you?

My employer's attorneys used that excuse against state law to try to ban us from carrying concealed on the job and on district property and their vehicles (a public utility) but we appealed to the state and the employer was overruled because the Ky. law specifically forbids public employers from doing so.

New here, huh?

I think it's just slightly possible you bit off a little more than you anticipated. Let's see how well you chew it . . . 

:popcorn: 

Magic Rat
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Major Payne said:

I shouldn't have to explain this.  Most people can figure it out on their own but from time to time, some sorry people and ignorant individual needs to be reminded that no modern firearm has ever just "gone off".

Guns do not spontaneously "go off".  They are machines that must be physically manipulated to work.  An involuntary bodily function like a sneeze or a cough are by definition involuntary.  Since you obviously need an explanation,  this means that the person is not spreading whatever ailment on command.  Most people cannot control bodily fluids, coughing, etc... while infected with a flulike virus.  

If someone is carrying a pistol in his holster and just leaves ot there, doesn't play around with it like an idiot,  it is impossible for his firearm to "go off". This doesn't apply to a flu virus or typhoid or Goddamn Covid-19.

That is why the analogy was dumb.

Oh yeah!  Although I believe it is a stupid policy, particularly for those who have to leave site, I think that if the employer doesn't allow the employees to concealed carry at work, they should be allowed to make that rule.  If the employee doesn't like it, he can find employment where the rules and culture more suit him.  The State of Kentucky and every other government should stay the Hell out of it.

Edited by Magic Rat
  • Disagree (-1) 2

zurg
Posted (edited)

FWIW, at my company the rule for entry into an office is that a "health screen" is conducted. It's simple. Disinfect hands. Take mask (new one every day). Get temp taken. Respond to question list (which everyone memorizes quickly because it's "have you traveled anywhere, have you had contact with a sick person, do you feel any trouble breathing, do you feel anything is off"). If temp and questions are okay, go to your desk. Else go to another room, have a phone call with nurse and HR, who decide if you should go home. Even though the company is pretty big, the local office is only about 30-40, less than half coming in daily. We've never once sent anyone home. Been doing this for about 3+ months. Nobody complains, they put up with the stuff even if they aren't crazy about it. They know the company is run by good people and this is transient. People stay home voluntarily if they don't feel right. But we're mostly white males, and our females aren't leftwing man-hating bitches.

Edited by zurg

Ticked@TinselTown
On 7/24/2020 at 11:28 PM, moocow said:

I've had a boss that insisted that we show up sick to prove that we were, otherwise he wouldn't approve sick pay.