Who’d’ve thought? White students sometimes ‘resist’ lessons on racism

Rate this topic

pepperonikkid

Who’d’ve thought? White students sometimes ‘resist’ lessons on racism

https://www.thecollegefix.com/

DAVE HUBER - ASSOCIATE EDITOR 

JULY 26, 2020

Article:

Here’s a surprise (not): It seems being force-fed theories from popular “anti-racist” screeds like Robin DiAngelo’s “White Fragility” doesn’t sit well with some — white — students.

The Chronicle of Higher Education’s Beckie Supiano sought out Jennifer Sims, a sociology professor at the University of Alabama at Huntsville, to get advice on dealing with student “pushback” in that area. Sims had recently tweeted out some thoughts on the matter.

Unfortunately, Professor Sims offers Supiano little of substance.

For one, Sims comes off as thinking that touting her “expertise” is all she needs when faced with student “resistance” or “pushback.” But more significantly, she includes one incident of obvious student racism (upon which her back-and-forth with Supiano heavily relies) as a legitimate example of student “pushback” (“Black women [are] simply less attractive,” a student had said).

It’s not, of course.

Sims notes that in her early days, after “literally just g[iving] a statistic,” some students “rolled their eyes” and “shook their heads.” As a result, she now puts a note on her syllabi indicating that “sociology is a social science built on empirical evidence and data, not her opinion.”

If Sims didn’t offer a bit of her history, this would seem rather innocuous. As it is, the syllabi addition appears to say “I am the professor with degrees in an evidence- and data-based subject area, so don’t challenge me.” Fortunately, most of the (13 total) students who chimed in on Sims’ Rate My Professors page don’t feel this way. Their ratings are mostly positive, including comments such as “she’s willing to answer all of your questions.”

Full Story

DJGoody

Let me guess....  Any opposing views and/or data are roundly denounced as racist, illiterate, and unwoke!  Opposing views will also be proof of white privilege in a systematically racist society!  

I sent a joke to a black friend of mine.  It was a video of Obama and his friends watching a game.  A Biden for President commercial came on showing him as the fool he is with Obama's endorsement.  His buddies just give him the bug eyes as if to say, "What the h-ll were you thinking?'.  If was a good joke no matter what president was in the commercial.  You could have made this for Clinton endorsing Gore.  There was no racial connotation at all, save for the fact that the President was black and his friends were black.  THE HORROR!  She yelled at me for sending her a racist joke.  I asked her how it was racist. She said. b/c you were making fun of Obama.  I defended myself and said, well I disagree.  There is absolutely no racism at all.  It is just a joke making fun of a former President.  She said to me...  "You do not get to make that determination?"  I asked then who does?  ...  and she said, ONLY US BLACK FOLK!  Hmmmmm.  

Oathtaker

Sims is full of crap. She buttresses her “lived experience” with vague claims of empirical data driven “science”. All a soft science like sociology or any of its offshoots can hope to give is qualitative data. That is, data “derived” for one’s senses. Form what I’ve seen, most of the “empirical data” from these “sciences” is not the result of a rigorous testing/experiment paradigm nor is there any indication of following the scientific method even a little bit. Most of it is deconstruction of the desired answer and looking for the data to prove it. Sort of like what Michael Mann did. 

As far as “lived experience” Is concerned, I have two words for you “Perception Bias”.

Any reasonable person would reject systemic racism or any of the “nouveau” buzzwords form the last decade or so. 

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

These"woke" lefty idiots are surprised when those who can think for themselves do not just sit back and blindly accept their :bs: propaganda and being told that they are to blame for everything? 

• Agree (+1) 1

Junto
3 minutes ago, Rock N' Roll Right Winger said:

These"woke" lefty idiots are surprised when those who can think for themselves do not just sit back and blindly accept their :bs: propaganda and being told that they are to blame for everything? 

Imagine growing up in these Democrat echo chamber cities, with Leftist parents, Leftist teachers, Leftist friends, Leftist college professors - all anti-American way of life. We are literally the embodiment of evil and what's wrong with their world.  You ARE nazis in their eyes/tiny brains.

• Agree (+1) 1

Weaseljd

Its just not the schools.  In Missouri ALL attorneys as part of their annual CLE's must now complete a 1 hour course in implicit bias training.

Rock N' Roll Right Winger
1 minute ago, Weaseljd said:

Its just not the schools.  In Missouri ALL attorneys as part of their annual CLE's must now complete a 1 hour course in implicit bias training.

We have similar crap that they "teach" us here at work.

• Agree (+1) 1

Junto

999.JPG

• Best Post (+1) 1
  • Sad 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

Ticked@TinselTown

When a 'professor' runs their class in such a way as to call her students 'racially illiterate' and goes on to tack on:  

the syllabi addition appears to say “I am the professor with degrees in an evidence- and data-based subject area, so don’t challenge me.” 

This 'educator' has already displayed the fact that they run their class like a monarchy and this one thinks she's the queen.

• Agree (+1) 4

Howsithangin

I'm reminded of the old saying: "The beatings will continue until morale improves"  <_<

• Agree (+1) 1

JerryL
3 hours ago, firecoco said:

227350CD-90A4-48F7-B10F-319538508E22.jpeg

This!  My GAS factor with these leftist morons is at right about ZERO.

Howsithangin
11 hours ago, Ticked@TinselTown said:

When a 'professor' runs their class in such a way as to call her students 'racially illiterate' and goes on to tack on:  

This 'educator' has already displayed the fact that they run their class like a monarchy and this one thinks she's the queen.

The type of attitude displayed by him/her/it is precisely why I never went for my PhD, and decided against going into academic research. Smug prima donnas, the lot

Howsithangin
5 hours ago, firecoco said:

Boy and I spreading this one around!!!

Howsithangin
11 hours ago, Junto said:

999.JPG

why are some photos darkened?  Are they in blackface?!  I'm offended! I'm enraged!  :tantrum:

MontyPython
11 hours ago, Junto said:

999.JPG

8 minutes ago, Howsithangin said:

why are some photos darkened?  Are they in blackface?!  I'm offended! I'm enraged!  :tantrum:

(Even though I think you're just kidding, LOL) I see the ones with a white "X" are the color pictures, and the ones without the "X" are the black & white pictures. So the ones in B&W are the seven who aren't public school teachers, and the color pictures are the thirteen who ARE public school teachers.

And that's just scary. These worthless violent criminals are in charge of educating children?? They should be in prison, not schools.

:redhot:

MontyPython
5 hours ago, firecoco said:

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: 

Howsithangin
2 minutes ago, MontyPython said:

(Even though I think you're just kidding, LOL) I see the ones with a white "X" are the color pictures, and the ones without the "X" are the black & white pictures. So the ones in B&W are the seven who aren't public school teachers, and the color pictures are the thirteen who ARE public school teachers.

And that's just scary. These worthless violent criminals are in charge of educating children?? They should be in prison, not schools.

:redhot:

Explains a lot, doesn't it?

MontyPython
1 minute ago, Howsithangin said:

Explains a lot, doesn't it?

Yes it does, none of it good.

I feel so sorry for my grandkids. This is the school system they'll be stuck in for their entire "education". Naturally I'll do whatever I can to UN-indoctrinate them, but I fear it won't be enough.

<_< 

gravelrash

Teachers Urge Government To Reopen Schools Before Students Learn To Think For Themselves

March 31st, 2020 | Babylon Bee 

U.S.—Teachers at government schools have raised their concerns that the recent closure of their institutions will have a damaging effect on students. In particular, the nation's educators are worried that the longer the schools are closed, the more likely it is that students will begin thinking for themselves, learn life skills away from the government school system, and realize how much more they learn at home.

"We must reopen as soon as possible -- before they regain their ability to have independent thoughts," said New York 4th-grade teacher Ms. Jenny Mudd. "This is an urgent crisis. We realize we have to do our part to prevent the spread of the virus, but we must also prevent the spread of unapproved ideas. There's a balance there."

"Reopen the schools before it is too late."

<snip>

Link

• Haha (+1) 3

Howsithangin
11 hours ago, gravelrash said:

Teachers Urge Government To Reopen Schools Before Students Learn To Think For Themselves

U.S.—Teachers at government schools have raised their concerns that the recent closure of their institutions will have a damaging effect on students. In particular, the nation's educators are worried that the longer the schools are closed, the more likely it is that students will begin thinking for themselves, learn life skills away from the government school system, and realize how much more they learn at home.

"We must reopen as soon as possible -- before they regain their ability to have independent thoughts," said New York 4th-grade teacher Ms. Jenny Mudd. "This is an urgent crisis. We realize we have to do our part to prevent the spread of the virus, but we must also prevent the spread of unapproved ideas. There's a balance there."

<snip>

Link

More than an ounce of truth in this.

Indeed, I mentioned to a friend the other day how now that the schools are closed, the kids are actually starting to learn something.

• Agree (+1) 2

zurg
12 hours ago, gravelrash said:

<snip>

Link

I see the error of my thinking now!

Trump is wrong! Keep schools closed!

DEFUND THE TEACHERS!

• Agree (+1) 2