To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
oki

When poor is richer than middle class.

Rate this topic

oki
On 7/30/2020 at 11:10 PM, MontyPython said:

Lumberjack? LOL, nope. I'm pretty much just like all my friends: Either musicians or bikers or both. Not a single hunter among 'em, now that the one hunter friend passed on. Seriously, it's pointless pursuing this. I get my meat just like everybody else I know gets it - From a store, on a styrofoam platter wrapped in plastic. It's true I miss venison, but if I ever went hunting I'd just make a fool of myself and come back empty-handed anyway, after spending a whole day or even weekend miserable. I hate being in "the outdoors", whether camping or hiking or fishing or hunting or anything else. I like my bed, my couch, my TV, my computer, my fridge, my shower, my hot & cold running water & flushing toilet, my stove & oven & microwave, etc etc etc. I definitely ain't no lumberjack, nor Dan'l Boone nor Davy Crockett, nor any other "outdoorsy" type.

No sirree, not me.

:no:

Per the camping, I thought for sure you would have made the Sturgis Pilgrimage at least once and done it the 'right way' camping out, or sleeping next to your bike each night.  

Also, most people in these parts have a cabin with all the creature comforts.  Hell, I have been in a few bars that the Latrine/Bathroom was rougher then the Deer Camp accommodations.

To be honest though, one of the best parts is how nice it is just to relax for a few hours and tune into nature, listening and watching for the smallest things.  It's actually a really nice way to unwind.  Ironically, I just don't really have the patience for fishing, much less every damn time I go it's over crowded and you can't even find a spot. 

MontyPython
41 minutes ago, oki said:

Per the camping, I thought for sure you would have made the Sturgis Pilgrimage at least once and done it the 'right way' camping out, or sleeping next to your bike each night.  

Nope. Naturally I've have many MANY MANY opportunities to go to Sturgis. I've been a biker since my teens and a member of an "outlaw" motorcycle club for more than 4 decades. But I just have no interest in "camping" except for local parties where I can dash for home if necessary. Sturgis is just plain too far away. Nope, I'll stay home thankyouverymuch.

Also, most people in these parts have a cabin with all the creature comforts.  Hell, I have been in a few bars that the Latrine/Bathroom was rougher then the Deer Camp accommodations.

Then that would be a bar I wouldn't frequent.

To be honest though, one of the best parts is how nice it is just to relax for a few hours and tune into nature, listening and watching for the smallest things.  It's actually a really nice way to unwind.  Ironically, I just don't really have the patience for fishing, much less every damn time I go it's over crowded and you can't even find a spot.

I can relax and unwind at home, listening to some of my great collection of great music, watching some of my great collection of great movies, reading some of my great collection of great books, etc. Or playing my guitar. Or reading/responding right here at RN. Or even just watching some great retro TV shows from the 50s/60s/70s.

Seriously, why go anywhere else? To get outside and get fresh air and stuff? I can go to the park only a couple blocks away. Or the beach/marina only a few blocks further. 

:shrug: 

oki
1 minute ago, MontyPython said:

Nope. Naturally I've have many MANY MANY opportunities to go to Sturgis. I've been a biker since my teens and a member of an "outlaw" motorcycle club for more than 4 decades. But I just have no interest in "camping" except for local parties where I can dash for home if necessary. Sturgis is just plain too far away. Nope, I'll stay home thankyouverymuch.

Then that would be a bar I wouldn't frequent.

I can relax and unwind at home, listening to some of my great collection of great music, watching some of my great collection of great movies, reading some of my great collection of great books, etc. Or playing my guitar. Or reading/responding right here at RN. Or even just watching some great retro TV shows from the 50s/60s/70s.

Seriously, why go anywhere else? To get outside and get fresh air and stuff? I can go to the park only a couple blocks away. Or the beach/marina only a few blocks further. 

If you ever make it to these parts i need to take ya' into the woods for a few hours during the early spring or late fall(no bugs ).  Yeah, when I was younger i had no desire to sit in the woods.  But when my desire for venison became ovetwhelming I learned that a day sitting in the woods was relaxing.  Not for everyone of coarse, I think part of the reason I cant really relax watching a movie is I am looking at screens all day for my job.  Guess I enjoy getting away from technology when I can.  But camping with no shower for days and crapping in a hole? Thats a bit much. 

Magic Rat
18 hours ago, oki said:

If you ever make it to these parts i need to take ya' into the woods for a few hours during the early spring or late fall(no bugs ).  Yeah, when I was younger i had no desire to sit in the woods.  But when my desire for venison became ovetwhelming I learned that a day sitting in the woods was relaxing.  Not for everyone of coarse, I think part of the reason I cant really relax watching a movie is I am looking at screens all day for my job.  Guess I enjoy getting away from technology when I can.  But camping with no shower for days and crapping in a hole? Thats a bit much. 

Oki, Western Washington does have a tree or two.  If one wants to spend time in the forest, he can accomplish it rather easily.

• Best Post (+1) 1

oki
3 hours ago, Magic Rat said:

Oki, Western Washington does have a tree or two.  If one wants to spend time in the forest, he can accomplish it rather easily.

True,  not so much where you do it so much as enjoying it that matters.  Grew up in the city, live in the city.  Just that to me at least its a the peace and quite of just sitting there and trying to tune into nature to see or hear that deer, find it very relaxing.  Its like your senses start to come alive. 

MontyPython
4 hours ago, Magic Rat said:

1 hour ago, oki said:

True,  not so much where you do it so much as enjoying it that matters.  Grew up in the city, live in the city.  Just that to me at least its a the peace and quite of just sitting there and trying to tune into nature to see or hear that deer, find it very relaxing.  Its like your senses start to come alive. 

Yeah, LOL, tune in to that nature . . . eat food with bugs in it . . . use fern leaves for toilet paper . . . chop wood if you wanna be warm . . . just be sh*t outta luck if you wanna cool off . . . be sh*t outta luck if you wanna watch your favorite TV show or movie or listen to your favorite music or blog or radio show . . . etc etc etc. Nope, all that "outdoorsy" stuff holds no "whoop-ti-doo" for us truly city-fied city folks. It's all I can do to stand living here in teeny-tiny Blaine after having grown up in Big-City Seattle.

JerryL
On 8/2/2020 at 2:56 AM, Magic Rat said:

Everybody talks about when comparing beef and venison is the price.  There is one thing they hardly talk about.  That is that except for very few applications like sausage and jerky, (And a roast if it is done right, and I've only experienced that once.) venison tastes awful and beef doesn't.  It is true, you will pay for a nice marbled beef steak and if you know how to cook it, will taste like heaven.  You won't get a nice marbled venison steak because wild game doesn't stand around, eating grass getting marbled.  So you get a gamey, dried out piece of meat that has the texture of the boot you wore to bag it,  but hey, it's free! 

You can also get this problem if you buy beef from someone who is an amateur when raising the steer.  The ground was okay but the roasts and steaks weren't as good as supermarket beef and that isn't near as good as a well reputed butcher.  We ate most of it, but gave the rest away.  It was a rip off.  I've bought better beef out of the trunk of car.  (Yes, I've done that.  Used to buy cigarettes, perfume, etc. that way too.)

I'm with you MR.  I just don't like venison, with two exceptions.  The first is the sausage.  Love that.  The second is something we used to do all the time in college at the U of I.  In Idaho, someone always has some deer and no one liked the deer burger because it was the about the gamiest of the animal.  A friend who was from San Diego would take all the deer burger he could get and he would crock pot it with his family blend of taco spices for about 24 hours.  Good tacos...but they were good because the meat DIDN'T taste like deer.

oki
10 hours ago, MontyPython said:

Yeah, LOL, tune in to that nature . . . eat food with bugs in it . . . use fern leaves for toilet paper . . . chop wood if you wanna be warm . . . just be sh*t outta luck if you wanna cool off . . . be sh*t outta luck if you wanna watch your favorite TV show or movie or listen to your favorite music or blog or radio show . . . etc etc etc. Nope, all that "outdoorsy" stuff holds no "whoop-ti-doo" for us truly city-fied city folks. It's all I can do to stand living here in teeny-tiny Blaine after having grown up in Big-City Seattle.

More like a heated RV with Electrical hook ups, parked right next to a house.  About the only rouging it part is going in the house when nature calls.

Hell, in the late afternoon and evening we sit and watch TV.  In the very early morning we wake up get, ready and walk at most 200 yards to our spots. 

Bugs in food?  If you see bugs in these parts that time of the year would probably be a good idea to have made peace with your maker.  Hunting isn't for everyone of coarse, but I do believe it's an experience that people often mis understand.   And all these years I thought you where some big burly biker who would ride for months at a time, only stopping for gas, booze, and an occasional bar room brawl.  :drinkers:

oki
9 hours ago, JerryL said:

I'm with you MR.  I just don't like venison, with two exceptions.  The first is the sausage.  Love that.  The second is something we used to do all the time in college at the U of I.  In Idaho, someone always has some deer and no one liked the deer burger because it was the about the gamiest of the animal.  A friend who was from San Diego would take all the deer burger he could get and he would crock pot it with his family blend of taco spices for about 24 hours.  Good tacos...but they were good because the meat DIDN'T taste like deer.

You have not had Venison until you have had Deer Bacon.  Your right though, it has to be prepared right.  Marinating is key, longer the better. 

MontyPython
7 hours ago, oki said:

More like a heated RV with Electrical hook ups, parked right next to a house.  About the only rouging it part is going in the house when nature calls.

Hell, in the late afternoon and evening we sit and watch TV.  In the very early morning we wake up get, ready and walk at most 200 yards to our spots. 

Bugs in food?  If you see bugs in these parts that time of the year would probably be a good idea to have made peace with your maker.  Hunting isn't for everyone of coarse, but I do believe it's an experience that people often mis understand.   And all these years I thought you where some big burly biker who would ride for months at a time, only stopping for gas, booze, and an occasional bar room brawl.  :drinkers:

LOL :rolleyes: 

First off - when you're in your 60s-70s "nature calls" several times a night are commonplace. Having to leave a trailer and go into a house several times a night would be a genuine pain in the ass. Much easier when the bathroom is right there next to the bedroom.

And second - Being a big burly biker has never required "enjoying" camping. Sure, I was willing to go through the discomfort and displeasure of camping way back when I was younger & healthier, but there was never a time when I found it "pleasant". And now that I'm older and less healthy it's just a version of hell for the most part.

And by coincidence there's a party coming up later this month where I'm booked as the entertainment, but will require that I stay in a tent for a couple days. I'll survive, LOL, but I'll be miserable the whole time. But I'm getting paid PLUS free food PLUS free beer & whiskey, so I'll do it.

Now if somebody PAID me to go through the pain and horror and discomfort of hunting, that'd be different.

;) 

oki
36 minutes ago, MontyPython said:

LOL :rolleyes: 

First off - when you're in your 60s-70s "nature calls" several times a night are commonplace. Having to leave a trailer and go into a house several times a night would be a genuine pain in the ass. Much easier when the bathroom is right there next to the bedroom.

And second - Being a big burly biker has never required "enjoying" camping. Sure, I was willing to go through the discomfort and displeasure of camping way back when I was younger & healthier, but there was never a time when I found it "pleasant". And now that I'm older and less healthy it's just a version of hell for the most part.

And by coincidence there's a party coming up later this month where I'm booked as the entertainment, but will require that I stay in a tent for a couple days. I'll survive, LOL, but I'll be miserable the whole time. But I'm getting paid PLUS free food PLUS free beer & whiskey, so I'll do it.

Now if somebody PAID me to go through the pain and horror and discomfort of hunting, that'd be different.

;) 

Your the entertainment?  I don't now weather to be intrigued or terrified....  just how will you be 'entertaining' the crowd?  :tongue2:

You are right though about it getting harder as you get older.  I am with you, I am not big on actual camping.  A nice RV, Camper/Trailer with all the creature comforts, know your talking.

MontyPython
19 minutes ago, oki said:

Your the entertainment?  I don't now weather to be intrigued or terrified....  just how will you be 'entertaining' the crowd?  :tongue2:

You are right though about it getting harder as you get older.  I am with you, I am not big on actual camping.  A nice RV, Camper/Trailer with all the creature comforts, know your talking.

Ummm . . . No, if you have to leave the damn RV and go into the house to use a bathroom, it doesn't have "all the creature comforts".

:rolleyes: 

JerryL
2 hours ago, oki said:

I have had beer and whiskey with Monty and we were also privileged to hear him play and sing a bit!  The group will be entertained...but not sure if they realize they need a BIG beer budget!!  LOL.

oki
3 hours ago, MontyPython said:

Ummm . . . No, if you have to leave the damn RV and go into the house to use a bathroom, it doesn't have "all the creature comforts".

:rolleyes: 

The trailor we use has the hook ups and tanks but no point as the house is only a few feet away.  In the near future my friend is going to be building a stand alone cabin with all the goodies.  My dream hunting cabin is a small house or cabin about 30 feet up with a wrap around deck wake up wake up walk out the door and sit in a recliner.  Or, open a window and wait.  People have actually done this.

MontyPython
1 hour ago, JerryL said:

I have had beer and whiskey with Monty and we were also privileged to hear him play and sing a bit!  The group will be entertained...but not sure if they realize they need a BIG beer budget!!  LOL.

:2up:

Yup, LOL, a little food, a little cash, both will be fine. But if they intend to keep me in beer & whiskey for two whole days & nights . . . well let's just say they're gonna need at least one very large ice-filled bin and some deep pockets, LOL.

:drinkers:

oki
1 hour ago, JerryL said:

Still curious as to how Monty will be entertaining the crowd.  Its not large amountsof beer or whiskey he is quite capable of enjoying that is scary.  Its the fact he has spoken about his uncanny ability to clog toilets, love of spicey foods AND he is the entertainment.  I have known a many a strong man brought to their knees by good beer and spicey foods. 

MontyPython
1 minute ago, oki said:

Still curious as to how Monty will be entertaining the crowd.  Its not large amountsof beer or whiskey he is quite capable of enjoying that is scary.  Its the fact he has spoken about his uncanny ability to clog toilets, love of spicey foods AND he is the entertainment.  I have known a many a strong man brought to their knees by good beer and spicey foods. 

You knew I sing & play guitar, and spent many years in rock bands, right?

:scratch: 

oki

As I have a bad stomach and no tolerance for spicey I wouldnt even dare try compete.

oki
14 minutes ago, MontyPython said:

You knew I sing & play guitar, and spent many years in rock bands, right?

:scratch: 

I remember now.  Phew thought maybe you meant you would be entertaining all by yourself.  Short of stand up comedy there is only a hand full of ways a single person can 'entertain' a crowd. 

MontyPython
Just now, oki said:

I remember now.  Phew thought maybe you meant you would be entertaining all by yourself.  Short of stand up comedy there is only a hand full of ways a single person can 'entertain' a crowd. 

Ummm . . . I will be performing by myself.

Well, that is unless there happen to be other musicians there, who brought their instruments with them. In that case I'll definitely invite them up onstage if they wanna jam for a while. But in any case I'll be doing most of the show by myself. And frankly that's how I prefer it. I know what songs I like, which ones I know how to play, what the chords are, what the lyrics are, etc etc etc. Jam sessions are lots of fun, but they rarely produce lots of "great music". Mostly it's a bunch of sloppy-sounding noise, LOL.

I've learned over the years that when somebody is paying you to put on a show, they don't appreciate large portions of that show being filled with sloppy-sounding noise, no matter how much fun it is for the musicians themselves.

B) 

JerryL
1 minute ago, MontyPython said:

Well, that is unless there happen to be other musicians there, who brought their instruments with them. In that case I'll definitely invite them up onstage if they wanna jam for a while. But in any case I'll be doing most of the show by myself. And frankly that's how I prefer it. I know what songs I like, which ones I know how to play, what the chords are, what the lyrics are, etc etc etc. Jam sessions are lots of fun, but they rarely produce lots of "great music". Mostly it's a bunch of sloppy-sounding noise, LOL.

I've learned over the years that when somebody is paying you to put on a show, they don't appreciate large portions of that show being filled with sloppy-sounding noise, no matter how much fun it is for the musicians themselves.

B) 

Have fun and don't be too uncomfortable in that nasty outdoors!  Cheers!

oki
2 minutes ago, MontyPython said:

B) 

By yourself, WOW.  Much respect to ya'.  Not many people would ever even think about attempting such a thing. 

MontyPython
5 minutes ago, JerryL said:

Have fun and don't be too uncomfortable in that nasty outdoors!  Cheers!

Rochelle takes EXCELLENT care of me. She knows how much I hate camping, so she does everything in her power to make it as comfortable as possible. She went out years ago and bought us a HUGE tent, big enough to divide into three separate "rooms" capable of sleeping at least two in each "room", PLUS a mosquito-netted "porch" attached. We call it the "Taj Mahal" LOL. And she brings folding chairs & tables, a huge king-size air-mattress, plenty of sleeping bags & blankets & cushions & pillows & such, bug spray, clean clothes, food & water & coffee & so forth. And when I'm not being supplied with beer & whiskey as part of my pay she also makes sure I'm supplied with those too. But of course this time that particular detail won't be necessary.

What a great wife!

4 minutes ago, oki said:

By yourself, WOW.  Much respect to ya'.  Not many people would ever even think about attempting such a thing. 

Well as I said, that's how I prefer it. When trying to put on a show with other musicians there are problems unless you've already rehearsed a whole show's worth of material with them: There are disagreements about what to play . . . I know songs they don't know how to play . . . they know songs I don't know how to play . . . and even when it's a song we all know sometimes we're used to playing it in different keys or at different tempos . . . they wanna do it in a key that's too high for me to sing the high notes . . . they play too loud or I play too quietly . . . and so forth. It's the perfect scenario where the old adage applies: If you want it done right, you have to do it yourself. I'm fully confident in my ability to play great music for hours and hours without any need for any help from anybody else. I have more than 200 songs in my repertoire.

:D