To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Martin

I'm a Racist. If You're White, You're A Racist, Too

Rate this topic

Martin

I am a racist. So is Katherine Kersten. She can't admit it.

By Jack Nelson-Pallmeyer

https://www.startribune.com/counterpoint-i-am-a-racist-so-is-katherine-kersten/571937132/

I have read articles by Katherine Kersten since the 1980s. And after reading “Racial justice: The new religion?” (Opinion Exchange, July 25) I believe for the first time I can say we share something in common:  It is clear that we are both racists.

Kersten denies this. In fact, she rejects the existence of “white privilege” and “white supremacy” and rails against the very idea of “systemic racism.” She claims that “racial justice” is a new “secular religion” with followers guilty of “Puritan-style intolerance.” Ironically, her denials illuminate her racism as well as the reasons for my own confession.

My name is Jack. I am a 69-year-old white male. The sad truth is that I am a racist even though I try not to be, and if you are a white person reading this, odds are you are, too.

Our first problem is that most white people, including Kersten, associate racism with overt, disgusting expressions of hate and bigotry directed at people of color. We don’t own slaves, publicly use the “N” word, burn crosses on the lawns of Black-owned homes or belong to the KKK. We may have a Black person as a friend.  This is progress of a sort, but limiting our understanding of racism to hateful acts and speech of malicious individuals is problematic. It allows white people to deny being racist,

Implicit bias is a second dimension of racism. Sociologist Ian Haney Lopez calls implicit bias “common-sense racism” communicated through “culture and social structures.”  A third dimension of racism denied by Kersten is structural. Slavery and Jim Crow were racist systems. The Minneapolis Police Department may have good and bad personnel, but all work within a dysfunctional racist police culture and system. Redlining, inadequate health care, low wage jobs, poor schools, inadequate housing, money-dominated politics, militarized policing, an unequal economy and a discriminatory criminal justice system are a few examples of structural racism.

A fourth dimension is “strategic racism.” Haney Lopez defines strategic racism as “purposeful efforts to use racial animus as leverage to gain material wealth, political power or heightened social standing.” For 40 years, Republican Party leaders have thrown racially coded messages like headhunting fastballs. Instead of the now-forbidden “N” word and other forms of overt hate speech they’ve campaigned against welfare, run commercials about Willie Horton, made up stories about “welfare queens,” exaggerated inner city crime, stoked fears about “illegal aliens,” immigrants, drugs, and gangs, and vilified the “unworthy poor.” Coded language avoids the backlash of direct hate speech while continuing to mobilize voters by fueling resentments and fear.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Let's analyze this logically.  First, racists deny that they are racist, therefore anyone who denies that he is a racist must be a racist.  Second, white people who are not explicitly racists are still racists because their racism is implicit.  If they do not say or do anything racist they are still racist.  "Black Americans, however, deal with additional negative consequences because of racial profiling."  (But. Professor Nelson-Pallmeyer, by arguing that all white people are racist, are you not engaging in racial profiling as well?)  Third, if you are white you are a racist because of redlining by mortgage lenders, inadequate health care for black people, low wage jobs, expensive schools which do a bad job, money-dominated politics, militarized police forces, an unequal economy and discriminatory courts.  Finally, if you are white you are a racist because while the Republicans have not used explicitly racist appeals they have used racially coded messages like talking about welfare, inner city crime, illegal aliens, sneer-quoted by the author as "illegal aliens", drugs, and gangs.  

Next, let's apply the same logic to other questions.  If you say that you are an alcoholic, then you are an alcoholic.  If you deny that you are an alcoholic, then you are in denial and you are an alcoholic.  It is irrelevant that you do not drink alcohol.  It is not enough for you to admit to yourself that you are an alcoholic, you must admit it to everybody else whether they want to hear it or not.  According to the professor, "An alcoholic’s first step in healing is personal and public acknowledgment of the problem."   

I wonder, when will Professor Nelson-Pallmeyer admit his own problem, that he cannot reason much better than a county fair chicken who beats you at tic-tac-toe?  That day may never come, since he has a large number of enablers at the Star-Tribune and at the University of St. Thomas.  For them to point out that his logic stands up about as well as wet cardboard would be like a bartender telling his best customer he needs to cut down.  

LongKnife

This from a professor of Justice and Peace Studies. 😄

kestrel
28 minutes ago, LongKnife said:

I know right!...Like a PHD in Virtue Signalling:):):)

Kestrel...

ThePatriot

The guy is delusional.  What a colossal waste of time. 

• Agree (+1) 1

Severian
3 hours ago, Martin said:

A fourth dimension is “strategic racism.”

Well boys, looks like this is it. Nukular racism, toe to toe with the Lefties.

MV5BMzM5MDQyNjI3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTA1

• Haha (+1) 2

Ticked@TinselTown

Horse.

Sh*t.

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

Alexis

Garbage!

Taggart Transcontinental

My name is Jack. I am a 69-year-old white male. The sad truth is that I am a racist even though I try not to be, and if you are a white person reading this, odds are you are, too.

So according to this jack-wagon, all white people are born with the original sin of racism. Sorry Kirsten is right, this jack-wagon and the other self flagellating morons out there are the problem. You want to beat yourself over the skull with a board in penitence, then you do so. I will not become part of your idiotic religion. 

Our first problem is that most white people, including Kersten, associate racism with overt, disgusting expressions of hate and bigotry directed at people of color. We don’t own slaves, publicly use the “N” word, burn crosses on the lawns of Black-owned homes or belong to the KKK. We may have a Black person as a friend.

The first problem is we don't own slaves or use racial comments, or belong to the KKK? That would be called PROGRESS. Now the new racism is simply being born a skin color? Sounds kind of racist to me.

They are victims of unwarranted police stops and harassment, and are denied jobs, job interviews and respect. The stress of being Black in America literally takes years off the life expectancy of African Americans.

This is kind of funny to me. How the hell would he know? He's a white guy, how does he know what it's like to be black in America? Where does he derive this belief that stress is out there? What does he base this claim upon? Some nonsense study designed to find exactly what they were looking for?

Structural racism explains why Minneapolis has some of the worst racial disparities in the nation and why Black people disproportionately suffer from the coronavirus pandemic. People of color here do significantly worse than white people in every common measure of social and economic well-being, including infant mortality, poverty, life expectancy, homeownership, income, wealth, health, incarceration, and educational opportunities and outcomes.

I wonder why this clown don't ask the obvious question. Who created this structural system of racism in that city. Which political party has ruled that place with an iron hand for 50+ years. Here's a hint, it don't start with a R and end in publican.

A fourth dimension is “strategic racism.” Haney Lopez defines strategic racism as “purposeful efforts to use racial animus as leverage to gain material wealth, political power or heightened social standing.” For 40 years, Republican Party leaders have thrown racially coded messages like headhunting fastballs. Instead of the now-forbidden “N” word and other forms of overt hate speech they’ve campaigned against welfare, run commercials about Willie Horton, made up stories about “welfare queens,” exaggerated inner city crime, stoked fears about “illegal aliens,” immigrants, drugs, and gangs, and vilified the “unworthy poor.” Coded language avoids the backlash of direct hate speech while continuing to mobilize voters by fueling resentments and fear.

Ohhhh my fault! Snap! It is the Republican party, that's been forcing democrats to control these cities so they can undermine the minorities living in them. Damn those super smart evil Republican's that can manipulate the opposition through passive aggressive actions while not even being elected to control those cities! How friggin super evil!!!

Did anyone see the Republican who was forcing her to say those words? Bring them to heel. You know those couched racist words Republicans like Hillary Clinton use.

• Agree (+1) 1

moocow

I remember someone posted a link to the “Kafka trap”. Well would be appropriate here again. 

zurg

If people like this author call me racist, I don't give a f***. In fact, I give much less than a f***. If zero is the lowest you can go in caring, and +1 is the highest, I'm a -1. F*** off, Jack.

• Agree (+1) 1

grimreefer
Posted (edited)
7 hours ago, Martin said:

She claims that “racial justice” is a new “secular religion” with followers guilty of “Puritan-style intolerance.” Ironically, her denials illuminate her racism as well as the reasons for my own confession.

And she is not wrong, racist. Ironically, your assertion merely reinforces her point.

Edited by grimreefer
  • Agree (+1) 1

MontyPython
4 hours ago, Severian said:

Well boys, looks like this is it. Nukular racism, toe to toe with the Lefties.

MV5BMzM5MDQyNjI3Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTcwMTA1

LOL! Great movie. And I loved how you even deliberately misspelled "nuclear".

:2up:

As for the subject, I couldn't help chuckling out loud when I read this particular sentence from the opening post:

We don’t own slaves, publicly use the “N” word, burn crosses on the lawns of Black-owned homes or belong to the KKK

You don't publicly use the "N" word? Does that mean you do use it privately? Well whaddaya know! I guess you really are a racist. Me, I don't use that word anytime, anywhere. Not publicly, not privately, not alone, not in the presence of others, not even if I hear others using it. Not ever. To me it's just an ugly word and I have no use for it.

But then, I'm not a racist.

:shrug: 

• Best Post (+1) 1

Martin
14 hours ago, LongKnife said:

The website of the University of St. Thomas at Minneapolis reports that it costs $59,300 a year to attend their university.  This is what you get for that.

Oathtaker
9 hours ago, moocow said:

I remember someone posted a link to the “Kafka trap”. Well would be appropriate here again. 

Here you go:

http://esr.ibiblio.org/?p=2122