Republicans flat-out reject Trump’s suggestion to delay election

Rate this topic

Moderator T

Republicans flat-out reject Trump’s suggestion to delay election

ANDREW DESIDERIO

Politico

7/30/20

EXCERPT:

President Donald Trump on Thursday faced resounding, near-universal opposition from Republicans to his suggestion that the November election should be delayed due to unsubstantiated claims of mail-in voter fraud.

Trump does not have the power to unilaterally push back the date of the Nov. 3 election; only Congress holds that authority under the Constitution. Lawmakers from both parties on Thursday said they oppose delaying the election, and many Republicans in particular have touted the merits of voting by mail during the coronavirus pandemic.

“He can suggest whatever he wants. The law is what it is. We’re going to have an election that’s legitimate, it’s going to be credible, it’s going to be the same as we’ve always done it,” Sen. Marco Rubio (R-Fla.), the chairman of the Senate Intelligence Committee, told reporters.

In bipartisan public reports, the Senate Intelligence Committee has emphasized that American officials, including the president, should not seek to undermine faith in U.S. elections, arguing that such statements aid malign efforts by foreign countries to meddle in campaigns.

“I wish he hadn’t said that. But it’s not going to change,” Rubio added. “We’re going to have an election in November. And people should have confidence in it.”

Sen. Chuck Grassley (R-Iowa), who is in the line of succession for the presidency as the president pro tempore of the Senate, dismissed Trump’s tweet as just the opinion of one person, noting that it would take an act of Congress to change the date of a federal election.

“It doesn’t matter what one individual in this country says,” Grassley said. “We still are a country based on the rule of law. And we must follow the law until either the Constitution is changed or until the law is changed.”

House Minority Leader Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.) similarly said he opposes pushing back the date of the election. “No way should we ever not hold an election on the day that we have it,” McCarthy told reporters.

The president’s tweet stems from his long-running allegations, without evidence, that mail-in voting is unreliable and riddled with fraud. It also comes as he is trailing significantly in the polls to presumptive Democratic presidential nominee Joe Biden, who predicted in April that Trump would seek to push back the date of the election.

(Full Story)

---

Someone really needs to change the password to his Twitter account.

Moderator T
6 minutes ago, gravelrash said:

PRESIDENT Donald J. Trump is a troll god.

He was being serious.

• Agree (+1) 1

johnnybravo
6 minutes ago, gravelrash said:

PRESIDENT Donald J. Trump is a troll god.

Exactly! Anyone falling for this hasn’t been paying attention for the last 3 years.

• Agree (+1) 2

CHANG

Gotta love this guy. 

He knows where their buttons are and is happy to press ‘em. 

• Agree (+1) 4

LeansToTheRight

He floats this, gets everyone with TDS to lose their mind.  Now when the numbers start to switch in favor of Trump, they are all going to clamor for delaying the election because because because.

• Agree (+1) 2

kestrel
Posted (edited)
30 minutes ago, Moderator T said:

He was being serious.

Okay....He said:

"With Universal Mail-In Voting (not Absentee Voting, which is good), 2020 will be the most INACCURATE & FRAUDULENT Election in history. It will be a great embarrassment to the USA. Delay the Election until people can properly, securely and safely vote??? (as in a voting booth?)

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 30, 2020..His Spox said:After the president’s tweet, his campaign spokesman, Hogan Gidley, issued a statement in which he said that the president “is just raising a question about the chaos Democrats have created with their insistence on all mail-in voting.

Still eluding you?..or do you really think he was being "serious"?

Kestrel...

Edited by kestrel
  • Agree (+1) 1

Dean Adam Smithee
31 minutes ago, johnnybravo said:

Exactly! Anyone falling for this hasn’t been paying attention for the last 3 years.

I wish he wouldn't have said it ANYWAY. It was needless ""Red Meat" for the Coyotes on the opposition.

• Disagree (-1) 1

Dean Adam Smithee
3 minutes ago, kestrel said:

Okay....He said:

With Universal Mail-In Voting (not Absentee Voting, which is good), 2020 will be the most INACCURATE & FRAUDULENT Election in history. It will be a great embarrassment to the USA. Delay the Election until people can properly, securely and safely vote??? (as in a voting booth?)

— Donald J. Trump (@realDonaldTrump) July 30, 2020..His Spox said:After the president’s tweet, his campaign spokesman, Hogan Gidley, issued a statement in which he said that the president “is just raising a question about the chaos Democrats have created with their insistence on all mail-in voting.

Kestrel...

Yeah, what I said in my prior post.

Look, I LIKE that Trump occasionally tweets what he thinks. The problem is that he sometimes does it WITHOUT thinking it through.

• Disagree (-1) 1

kestrel
Just now, Dean Adam Smithee said:

Yeah, what I said in my prior post.

Look, I LIKE that Trump occasionally tweets what he thinks. The problem is that he sometimes does it WITHOUT thinking it through.

Meh...he's done fairly well doing what he does..and what makes you think he's not "thinking it through"...look at just this small thread most "got it right away"...I don't remember if you were "Never Trump" but  it seems that he is able to yank their chains at will...

Kestrel...

• Agree (+1) 1

Natural Selection
1 hour ago, LeansToTheRight said:

He floats this, gets everyone with TDS to lose their mind.  Now when the numbers start to switch in favor of Trump, they are all going to clamor for delaying the election because because because.

And he'll have them on record saying it can't be delayed. :rofl:

• Agree (+1) 3

Moderator T
2 hours ago, kestrel said:

Okay....He said:

"With Universal Mail-In Voting (not Absentee Voting, which is good), 2020 will be the most INACCURATE & FRAUDULENT Election in history. It will be a great embarrassment to the USA. Delay the Election until people can properly, securely and safely vote??? (as in a voting booth?)

Kestrel...

Yes I think he was being serious.  If he was "trolling" as some think, he needs to stop as he's not helping himself as it does nothing but help his enemies.  It is possible to bring attention to his belief that mail in voting is bad except when its absentee voting without giving liberals fuel for their nonsense "fascist dictator" beliefs.  Now we'll have a week of the MSM being able to quote him directly to make their anti-Trump arguments to the large numbers who get their news from places other than OAN and obscure conservative blogs.  I'm talking about people who believe that polling isn't a lie, people who listen to the big 3 channels still for news, and people who still read newspapers but aren't lockstep Dem voters.

• Disagree (-1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

zurg
Posted (edited)

It is an interesting play to counter one illegitimate desire (non-requested mail-in voting ballots) that’s claimed to be due to covid with another illegitimate desire (delayed voting) that’s also basically claimed to be due to covid. 

If the delay proposal ends up being called a dictatorial method of cheating, it can be countered by calling the mail-in proposal a fascist method of cheating. Every time democrats and their media say that Trump can’t be trusted, Trump can say that democrats and their fake media can’t be trusted. 

I’d most definitely say that the odds of that battle are on Trump’s side. When will queasy people learn that Trump’s truth isn’t ever in what he tweets, it’s in what he does. Oh well, I’ll keep trying to bring up this point. 

Edited by zurg
  • Agree (+1) 1

kestrel
33 minutes ago, Moderator T said:

Yes I think he was being serious.  If he was "trolling" as some think, he needs to stop as he's not helping himself as it does nothing but help his enemies.  It is possible to bring attention to his belief that mail in voting is bad except when its absentee voting without giving liberals fuel for their nonsense "fascist dictator" beliefs.  Now we'll have a week of the MSM being able to quote him directly to make their anti-Trump arguments to the large numbers who get their news from places other than OAN and obscure conservative blogs.  I'm talking about people who believe that polling isn't a lie, people who listen to the big 3 channels still for news, and people who still read newspapers but aren't lockstep Dem voters.

Fair enough Mod-T I just see it another way...I just don't think the American People are that Stupid...the Media will go at him no matter what he says and the "people who believe that polling isn't a lie" ?  Really? after the last election? Ok I'll stipulate that there is a percentage of people that trust the polling and the MSMedia (um those "polls you say people "believe in" put out by large MSM types ie Pew/Reuters etc, say that somewhere between 60 and 70 percent don't trust the media and believe it's biased) But I think those people are about as likely to be swayed outside their little nexus by information from any media source (OAN notwithstanding, Not too mention those obscure conservative blogs) as the most vehement Never Trumper regarding anything good about the Trumpster. Period. As to the greater question what will be the result of Trump tossing these little hooks?..Well the msm is definitely talking about it  and talking about it and talking about it...do you see where I'm going with this?..So in the end what we have here is a simple disagreement I don't think the American People (specifically the People who do not haunt the likes of OAN or Obscure Conservative Blogs {your description of those sources of information brought visions of trailer parks full of toothless meth heads..you didn't mean it that way I hope?} Are stupid enough to fall for it..But you do. No big deal...and Time will Tell.

Kestrel...

kestrel
36 minutes ago, zurg said:

It is an interesting play to counter one illegitimate desire (non-requested mail-in voting ballots) that’s claimed to be due to covid with another illegitimate desire (delayed voting) that’s also basically claimed to be due to covid. 

If the delay proposal ends up being called a dictatorial method of cheating, it can be countered by calling the mail-in proposal a fascist method of cheating. Every time democrats and their media say that Trump can’t be trusted, Trump can say that democrats and their fake media can’t be trusted. 

I’d most definitely say that the odds of that battle are on Trump’s side. When will queasy people learn that Trump’s truth isn’t ever in what he tweets, it’s in what he does. Oh well, I’ll keep trying to bring up this point. 

I agree..Well said Sir, well said.

K...

• Agree (+1) 1

Moderator T
25 minutes ago, kestrel said:

Fair enough Mod-T I just see it another way...I just don't think the American People are that Stupid...the Media will go at him no matter what he says and the "people who believe that polling isn't a lie" ?  Really? after the last election?

So one election shows close polls to be wrong and the entirety of polling is a lie?  I'm willing to beleive in a silent portion of the voter base that won't admit they'll vote for Trump.  I don't think its enough to make up for 15% of the voting populace or whatever Biden's lead is.  I'm not saying things are a lost cause either.   But if this was such a lock for Trump he wouldn't have replaced his campaign manager or suspended advertising until they could adjust messaging.  

As for the American people, you have more faith than I do.  Most don't realize that Trump is infallible and always 15 steps ahead of everyone.  They listen to the MSM.  They read social media.

Ok I'll stipulate that there is a percentage of people that trust the polling and the MSMedia (um those "polls you say people "believe in" put out by large MSM types ie Pew/Reuters etc, say that somewhere between 60 and 70 percent don't trust the media and believe it's biased) But I think those people are about as likely to be swayed outside their little nexus by information from any media source (OAN notwithstanding, Not too mention those obscure conservative blogs) as the most vehement Never Trumper regarding anything good about the Trumpster. Period. As to the greater question what will be the result of Trump tossing these little hooks?..Well the msm is definitely talking about it  and talking about it and talking about it...do you see where I'm going with this?.

Kestrel...

Except they're not talking about it in a helpful way.  They either trot out a dozen experts who say Trump has no evidence that mail in voting is bad at best, or at worst they paint him as the dictator the left wants him to be.  during the last few elections we heard fear mongering that Bush or Obama wouldn't leave office and hold on to power depending on what side of politics you were on.   There was never any evidence to back it up other than paranoia and media outlets going for views/clicks. The difference this time is they can use his own words as "proof" that he won't leave office.  Once again, he's doing their job for them better than they ever could.

.So in the end what we have here is a simple disagreement I don't think the American People (specifically the People who do not haunt the likes of OAN or Obscure Conservative Blogs {your description of those sources of information brought visions of trailer parks full of toothless meth heads..you didn't mean it that way I hope?}

No I mean people who watch OAN because FNC wasn't pro-Trump enough (not that being pro-anyone should be the media's job) or who only get their news from sites that didn't exist six months ago and rarely use facts.  Many of them have names that sound like traditional conservative sites but aren't.  Names like "Nationalist Review."  You'll see articles from them every so often about how "liberals are shocked, Obama's plan for world domination exposed!"  or "Trump finally got them!  All Democrats to be arrested for treason!!!!"  Or even blogs like Conservative Tree House that exist only to praise the President.  Or sites that report "Q" conspiracies as facts.

Are stupid enough to fall for it..But you do. No big deal...and Time will Tell.

No, it won't.  Either he'll win and you'll be proven right, or he'll lose by whatever percent and everyone on the right will cry stolen election.  No matter what happens, there is zero possibility anyone on the right will accept that he lost fairly.  None.  

• Best Post (+1) 1

kestrel
Posted (edited)

So one election shows close polls to be wrong and the entirety of polling is a lie?  I'm willing to beleive in a silent portion of the voter base that won't admit they'll vote for Trump.  I don't think its enough to make up for 15% of the voting populace or whatever Biden's lead is.  I'm not saying things are a lost cause either.   But if this was such a lock for Trump he wouldn't have replaced his campaign manager or suspended advertising until they could adjust messaging.  

As for the American people, you have more faith than I do.  Most don't realize that Trump is infallible and always 15 steps ahead of everyone.  They listen to the MSM.  They read social media.

Except they're not talking about it in a helpful way.  They either trot out a dozen experts who say Trump has no evidence that mail in voting is bad at best, or at worst they paint him as the dictator the left wants him to be.  during the last few elections we heard fear mongering that Bush or Obama wouldn't leave office and hold on to power depending on what side of politics you were on.   There was never any evidence to back it up other than paranoia and media outlets going for views/clicks. The difference this time is they can use his own words as "proof" that he won't leave office.  Once again, he's doing their job for them better than they ever could.

No I mean people who watch OAN because FNC wasn't pro-Trump enough (not that being pro-anyone should be the media's job) or who only get their news from sites that didn't exist six months ago and rarely use facts.  Many of them have names that sound like traditional conservative sites but aren't.  Names like "Nationalist Review."  You'll see articles from them every so often about how "liberals are shocked, Obama's plan for world domination exposed!"  or "Trump finally got them!  All Democrats to be arrested for treason!!!!"  Or even blogs like Conservative Tree House that exist only to praise the President.  Or sites that report "Q" conspiracies as facts.

No, it won't.  Either he'll win and you'll be proven right, or he'll lose by whatever percent and everyone on the right will cry stolen election.  No matter what happens, there is zero possibility anyone on the right will accept that he lost fairly.  None.  

You are in a tough spot my friend...If you're correct and Trump loses then Biden (or something) will become President and I don't think the slight gratification that your Semi-Never Trump side will feel can be offset by the reality coming straight at you..To be clear we would survive a Biden (whatever) Presidency I'm pretty sure but the only fun we'll be having is agreeing with each other about how it Sux..But! If I'm right and the propaganda arm of the DNC (Media/Polls/Never Trump Inc, Etc) fail to delude the populace in question Well...Donald John Trump will still be your President and I think you will be still be sad..It all comes down to the "Question" are the American People as Smart and aware of their own self interest as I think they are or as gullible and stupid as you think they are.  I think he's gonna do it....And No, I still don't want to have lunch with him or play golf, I don't read his tweets (or anybodies) and I very seldom watch Network anything..Mostly I just want to be left alone with regard to my various forms of Govt. if that fails..there is that "Oath" and the 2nd. nuff said I'm done..have a good night Mod-T I enjoyed the back and forth!

Kestrel...

Edited by kestrel

zurg

So one election shows close polls to be wrong and the entirety of polling is a lie?  I'm willing to believe in a silent portion of the voter base that won't admit they'll vote for Trump.  I don't think its enough to make up for 15% of the voting populace or whatever Biden's lead is.  I'm not saying things are a lost cause either.   But if this was such a lock for Trump he wouldn't have replaced his campaign manager or suspended advertising until they could adjust messaging.  

I'm absolutely convinced that this is exactly where you are wrong.

I know this is anecdotal, but anecdotes were proven right last time. All my friends and coworkers who I know to be Trump supporters would never admit it if a pollster called their cellphone or house phone. Why? Obviously, they're afraid of getting on a list. Maybe a list for Soros and Antifa and BLM.

That's why people don't put Trump bumper stickers on their cars, and don't wear MAGA hats. C'mon ModT, you can't possibly not have noticed that a tiny fraction of Trump voters actually display their upcoming voting preference to the rest of the world. Not only are Trump voters silent about it, they are the silent majority. There's just absolutely no way Biden is up, let alone up 12% or 15%.

If you just think about it with simple unbiased common sense, nothing else, you know I'm right.

MontyPython
1 hour ago, kestrel said:

You are in a tough spot my friend...If you're correct and Trump loses then Biden (or something) will become President and I don't think the slight gratification that your Semi-Never Trump side will feel can be offset by the reality coming straight at you..To be clear we would survive a Biden (whatever) Presidency I'm pretty sure but the only fun we'll be having is agreeing with each other about how it Sux..But! If I'm right and the propaganda arm of the DNC (Media/Polls/Never Trump Inc, Etc) fail to delude the populace in question Well...Donald John Trump will still be your President and I think you will be still be sad..It all comes down to the "Question" are the American People as Smart and aware of their own self interest as I think they are or as gullible and stupid as you think they are.  I think he's gonna do it....And No, I still don't want to have lunch with him or play golf, I don't read his tweets (or anybodies) and I very seldom watch Network anything..Mostly I just want to be left alone with regard to my various forms of Govt. if that fails..there is that "Oath" and the 2nd. nuff said I'm done..have a good night Mod-T I enjoyed the back and forth!

Kestrel...

???

Sorry to butt in here, but I can't help being curious: Where do you get the idea Mod-T is "Semi-Never-Trump"?

:scratch: 

kestrel
1 minute ago, MontyPython said:

???

Sorry to butt in here, but I can't help being curious: Where do you get the idea Mod-T is "Semi-Never-Trump"?

That's ok 'We's family!..You know...that's a fair point..I would say that because I have the impression that I've seen several people defending Trump in their various Trump musings with Mod-T.  I'm not sure I ever have, but its akin to what is very obvious with a certain British Football Club Fan who is more... vehement in his criticisms of the Prez than M/T and I have to admit I was a bit surprised at what M/T was apparently referencing with the slight jab (more than fair in the type of Convo we were having) in regards to OAN and various conservative bloggers ie;

"Now we'll have a week of the MSM being able to quote him directly to make their anti-Trump arguments to the large numbers who get their news from places other than OAN and obscure conservative blogs.  I'm talking about people who believe that polling isn't a lie, people who listen to the big 3 channels still for news, and people who still read newspapers but aren't lockstep Dem voters."..

In the heat of the debate this felt somewhat of the elitism that I saw from George Will and National Review, Jonah Goldberg and such..Intelligent People from the past, whom I had enjoyed reading till they came to understand that the unruly commoners had gone their own way and became contemptuous of many they would find here at R/N. Is that my opinion of M/T?...Hell No! but that is what I felt at the time I was writing my reply..So in summation when I was writing my reply "Never Trumper" wasn't right...Always Trumper?..nope..sometimes Trumper?..well closer but not quite right given the original topic (Trump being a Genius? Or Idiot? and M/T on the Idiot side) "Semi Never Trumper" seemed like the kind that would vote for Trump against Biden (unlike George Will and Co) but is going to bitch and complain about the perceived stupidity that M/T is calling out...Ya know we could just ask M/T? even though M/T is a "Moderator" and could probably with a few keystrokes have us "dealt with" ...I willing if you are?:tap:

Kestrel...

MontyPython
22 minutes ago, kestrel said:

That's ok 'We's family!..You know...that's a fair point..I would say that because I have the impression that I've seen several people defending Trump in their various Trump musings with Mod-T.  I'm not sure I ever have, but its akin to what is very obvious with a certain British Football Club Fan who is more... vehement in his criticisms of the Prez than M/T and I have to admit I was a bit surprised at what M/T was apparently referencing with the slight jab (more than fair in the type of Convo we were having) in regards to OAN and various conservative bloggers ie;

"Now we'll have a week of the MSM being able to quote him directly to make their anti-Trump arguments to the large numbers who get their news from places other than OAN and obscure conservative blogs.  I'm talking about people who believe that polling isn't a lie, people who listen to the big 3 channels still for news, and people who still read newspapers but aren't lockstep Dem voters."..

In the heat of the debate this felt somewhat of the elitism that I saw from George Will and National Review, Jonah Goldberg and such..Intelligent People from the past, whom I had enjoyed reading till they came to understand that the unruly commoners had gone their own way and became contemptuous of many they would find here at R/N. Is that my opinion of M/T?...Hell No! but that is what I felt at the time I was writing my reply..So in summation when I was writing my reply "Never Trumper" wasn't right...Always Trumper?..nope..sometimes Trumper?..well closer but not quite right given the original topic (Trump being a Genius? Or Idiot? and M/T on the Idiot side) "Semi Never Trumper" seemed like the kind that would vote for Trump against Biden (unlike George Will and Co) but is going to bitch and complain about the perceived stupidity that M/T is calling out...Ya know we could just ask M/T? even though M/T is a "Moderator" and could probably with a few keystrokes have us "dealt with" ...I willing if you are?:tap:

Kestrel...

Well my own opinion of Mod-T (and several others here) is the very thing I'd like to believe I live up to, myself: When Trump is right, support him, and when he's wrong, call him on it. You & Mod-T & I might not agree which times Trump's right and which times he's wrong, but I just don't recall Mod-T displaying anything resembling a "Never Trump" attitude. Clearly this is one of the times you and Mod don't agree, but the "Never Trump" crack was kinda below the belt, I thought.

Just my opinion.

:shrug: 

Ticked@TinselTown
1 hour ago, MontyPython said:

???

🤔

MontyPython
1 minute ago, Ticked@TinselTown said:

🤔

:shrug: