Jump to content
To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
pepperonikkid

‘Cousin Brucie’ Morrow Leaving SiriusXM Radio After 15 Years; Last Show Saturday Night

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

pepperonikkid

‘Cousin Brucie’ Morrow Leaving SiriusXM Radio After 15 Years; Last Show Saturday Night

 

https://deadline.com/

By Bruce Haring

July 30, 2020 

 

Article:

 

Cousin Bruce Morrow, the New York radio DJ whose long career reaches from the Beatles at Shea Stadium through satellite radio, is leaving SiriusXM after one last show on Saturday night.

The 84-year-old Morrow will depart the SiriusXM ’60s on 6 channel but vows he is not retiring. He referred fans to his Facebook page for updates on his next move.

Cousin Brucie (real name Bruce Meyerowitz) has been a giant of New York radio since the 1950s. After a stint in Bermuda, he joined 1010 WINS in 1959, where he became “Cousin Brucie.” From there, he joined WABC-AM in 1961, leading the heyday of the British Invasion and American pop radio on the 50,000-watt giant.

Beyond radio, Morrow hosted many live shows at New Jersey’s Palisades Amusement Park and introduced the Beatles at their famed Shea Stadium appearance in 1965.

 

 

Full Story

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ladybird

We had a big old radio that sat on top of the fridge (or “ice box” as my auntie called it) that played all the hits on WABC AM.  Cousin Brucie and Dan Ingram are seared in my memory. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ticked@TinselTown

Didn't Cousin Brucie have cameo of sorts in the movie Dirty Dancing where he was making announcements over the PA at the resort they were staying at?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MontyPython
5 hours ago, pepperonikkid said:

Beyond radio, Morrow hosted many live shows at New Jersey’s Palisades Amusement Park and introduced the Beatles at their famed Shea Stadium appearance in 1965.

 

???

Huh? No, it was Ed Sullivan who introduced the Beatles at their now-famous 1965 Shea Stadium concert. Don't believe me? Here ya go:

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kestrel
4 minutes ago, MontyPython said:

 

???

Huh? No, it was Ed Sullivan who introduced the Beatles at their now-famous 1965 Shea Stadium concert. Don't believe me? Here ya go:

 

 

Only you man...only you:):):) the things you know.

Kestrel...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MontyPython
3 minutes ago, kestrel said:

Only you man...only you:):):) the things you know.

Kestrel...

Well the Beatles have been one of my most passionate hobbies and fields of expertise for 56 years. I've had that (bootleg) Shea stadium concert on vinyl record, cassette tape, videotape and CD for years & years. I knew the second I read that line in the opening article that the author had no idea what he was talking about. It took me about 5 seconds to locate that short video clip on YouTube.

B)

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kestrel
1 minute ago, MontyPython said:

Well the Beatles have been one of my most passionate hobbies and fields of expertise for 56 years. I've had that (bootleg) Shea stadium concert on vinyl record, cassette tape, videotape and CD for years & years. I knew the second I read that line in the opening article that the author had no idea what he was talking about. It took me about 5 seconds to locate that short video clip on YouTube.

B)

 

I know they are..gonna re-name you as Rocky Racoon!..you got a Gideon's Bible?

K...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MontyPython
2 minutes ago, kestrel said:

I know they are..gonna re-name you as Rocky Racoon!..you got a Gideon's Bible?

K...

No, but I've got a yellow submarine. I keep it in my Bungalow (with Bill) at the corner of the long & winding road and penny lane. Right there next to strawberry fields.

;) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pepperonikkid

ON AUGUST 23, 1965, IT WAS MORROW WHO INTRODUCED THE BEATLES DURING THE FIRST OF THEIR HISTORIC SHEA STADIUM CONCERTS.
MORROW ALSO APPEARED IN THE 1978 FILM SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND

 

Story

Edited by pepperonikkid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kestrel
5 minutes ago, MontyPython said:

No, but I've got a yellow submarine. I keep it in my Bungalow (with Bill) at the corner of the long & winding road and penny lane. Right there next to strawberry fields.

;) 

 

forever ensconced in your octopus's garden😉

K...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MontyPython
8 minutes ago, pepperonikkid said:

ON AUGUST 23, 1965, IT WAS MORROW WHO INTRODUCED THE BEATLES DURING THE FIRST OF THEIR HISTORIC SHEA STADIUM CONCERTS.
MORROW ALSO APPEARED IN THE 1978 FILM SGT. PEPPER'S LONELY HEARTS CLUB BAND

 

Pepperoni - That video is almost half an hour long. Can you tell me at what exact point the video asserts that it was Cousin Brucie who introduced the Beatles at Shea Stadium, so I can hear it for myself? Because it's simply incorrect. Did you watch that short video I posted? It proves who it was - It was Ed Sullivan.

I'm tellin' ya, I'm the biggest Beatle expert/freak/authority you'll ever meet. Anything you ever wanna know about the Beatles, I'm your go-to source.

Here's the thing - Yes Cousin Brucie was there at Shea. He is one of the people featured in the bootleg video. He might even have introduced one or more of the opening acts (which included Brenda Holloway, King Curtis, Sounds Incorporated, the Young Rascals and Cannibal & the Headhunters.) But as the video I posted proves beyond all possible dispute, it was Ed Sullivan who introduced the Beatles themselves.

B) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Jon Wayne

Cousin Brucie had a terrific guest role in a  Babylon 5 episode I recently saw the rerun of.  He played second in command on a military space battleship.  I couldn't believe it was him.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pepperonikkid

Hi Monty this is the closests I can find Of Brucie introducing the Beatles.

It would be August of 1966 not 65.

 

Sorry I can't find more.

Edited by pepperonikkid

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
pepperonikkid
5 hours ago, MontyPython said:

 

Pepperoni - That video is almost half an hour long. Can you tell me at what exact point the video asserts that it was Cousin Brucie who introduced the Beatles at Shea Stadium, so I can hear it for myself? Because it's simply incorrect. Did you watch that short video I posted? It proves who it was - It was Ed Sullivan.

I'm tellin' ya, I'm the biggest Beatle expert/freak/authority you'll ever meet. Anything you ever wanna know about the Beatles, I'm your go-to source.

Here's the thing - Yes Cousin Brucie was there at Shea. He is one of the people featured in the bootleg video. He might even have introduced one or more of the opening acts (which included Brenda Holloway, King Curtis, Sounds Incorporated, the Young Rascals and Cannibal & the Headhunters.) But as the video I posted proves beyond all possible dispute, it was Ed Sullivan who introduced the Beatles themselves.

B) 

 

This one only has the listing on the bottom but see my next entry

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MontyPython

Wait - Did you just say that footage of Cousin Brucie was from 1966? Well there's the problem right there. The opening article CLEARLY refers to "their famed Shea Stadium appearance in 1965." And in your second post, it also specifically states "ON AUGUST 23, 1965, IT WAS MORROW WHO INTRODUCED THE BEATLES DURING THE FIRST OF THEIR HISTORIC SHEA STADIUM CONCERTS." And therefore both were just plain wrong. The Beatles' FIRST appearance at Shea Stadium was in 1965, and they were indisputably introduced at that show by Ed Sullivan.

And those shots of the Beatles backstage in the last video you posted? During Brucie's comments? While they're getting into their stage outfits? That footage was from 1965 too. Here's a photo from the '66 show. Pay particular attention to their suits:

515817900.jpg

 

Now here's a photo from the '65 show. Again, pay particular attention to their suits:

 

650815-beatles-shea-stadium_01-580x441.j

 

NOW - watch that last video you posted, and see which suits they're putting on. To save time fast-forward to 1:24 in the video and watch through 1:46. See which suits they're wearing? The 1965 suits, not the 1966 suits. Why would they show Brucie's 1966 comments during the documentary footage of their 1965 show???

Face it, the opening article and the comments posted under your follow-up video were just plain wrong.

 :yes: 

 

Edited by MontyPython

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LeansToTheRight

Monty -  I know you don’t see too many modern movies, but have you seen “Yesterday”?  If so, what did you think of it?  If not, you should - not because it’s some great movie, but lots of good Beatles music and a cute story (some suspension of belief for artistic license has to done, however).  I consider it a good but not great movie.  It’s a concept that has been done many times over, but this version is decent - and the music (being the Beatles) is great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ladybird
1 hour ago, LeansToTheRight said:

Monty -  I know you don’t see too many modern movies, but have you seen “Yesterday”?  If so, what did you think of it?  If not, you should - not because it’s some great movie, but lots of good Beatles music and a cute story (some suspension of belief for artistic license has to done, however).  I consider it a good but not great movie.  It’s a concept that has been done many times over, but this version is decent - and the music (being the Beatles) is great.

Across the Universe sounds similar. Overall the movie was kind of meh for me, but the music and imagery were beautiful. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MontyPython
5 hours ago, LeansToTheRight said:

Monty -  I know you don’t see too many modern movies, but have you seen “Yesterday”?  If so, what did you think of it?  If not, you should - not because it’s some great movie, but lots of good Beatles music and a cute story (some suspension of belief for artistic license has to done, however).  I consider it a good but not great movie.  It’s a concept that has been done many times over, but this version is decent - and the music (being the Beatles) is great.

Nope I haven't seen it. But I've been meaning to, so thanks for the reminder! Is it available on CD?

:) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LeansToTheRight
3 hours ago, MontyPython said:

Nope I haven't seen it. But I've been meaning to, so thanks for the reminder! Is it available on CD?

:) 

 

Maybe?   I know many people can stream it online, but....well, you know.  (Or rather you don’t know.  :)  )

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MontyPython
4 minutes ago, LeansToTheRight said:

Maybe?   I know many people can stream it online, but....well, you know.  (Or rather you don’t know.  :)  )

Exactly, LOL. Yup, you nailed it - I wouldn't know how to "stream" anything besides urine.

If it's available on CD I'd love to get it. If it's something that must be "streamed" I'm just SOL.

:shrug: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LeansToTheRight
2 minutes ago, MontyPython said:

Exactly, LOL. Yup, you nailed it - I wouldn't know how to "stream" anything besides urine.

If it's available on CD I'd love to get it. If it's something that must be "streamed" I'm just SOL.

:shrug: 

 

What about DVD?  You might be able to rent it through redbox, but not sure.  Otherwise, search the net (maybe Amazon.com?) for a version on cd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MontyPython
4 minutes ago, LeansToTheRight said:

What about DVD?  You might be able to rent it through redbox, but not sure.  Otherwise, search the net (maybe Amazon.com?) for a version on cd.

LOL! Oops! That's what I meant - DVD. See how modern-format illiterate I am? Nobody even does CD or DVD anymore, and I'm so behind the times I still confuse them, LOL. Hey, they're both discs, right? Roughly the same size, right? I have a tough time remembering which is which. I still listen to vinyl records and cassette tapes, still watch VHS video tapes, etc.

I'm a dinosaur.

:shrug: 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LeansToTheRight
53 minutes ago, MontyPython said:

LOL! Oops! That's what I meant - DVD. See how modern-format illiterate I am? Nobody even does CD or DVD anymore, and I'm so behind the times I still confuse them, LOL. Hey, they're both discs, right? Roughly the same size, right? I have a tough time remembering which is which. I still listen to vinyl records and cassette tapes, still watch VHS video tapes, etc.

I'm a dinosaur.

:shrug: 

 

Haha!  No worries.

Ok then.  Check out your local redbox.  Send me a private message if you’re unsure what I mean by “redbox”.  Otherwise, check out whatever is your regular method for renting/buying dvds.

And again, it’s a good/decent, cute movie.  Not “great”.  It’s a romantic comedy, after all.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
MontyPython
38 minutes ago, LeansToTheRight said:

Haha!  No worries.

Ok then.  Check out your local redbox.  Send me a private message if you’re unsure what I mean by “redbox”.  Otherwise, check out whatever is your regular method for renting/buying dvds.

And again, it’s a good/decent, cute movie.  Not “great”.  It’s a romantic comedy, after all.

Even though I can't pretend to know how Redbox works, I know what it is, basically. I see those "Redbox" machines sitting on the sidewalks outside RiteAid and other stores. I wouldn't try to use one. If I want to buy a DVD and can't find it at Walmart or whatever, I order it from Amazon. 

B) 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LeansToTheRight
9 hours ago, MontyPython said:

Even though I can't pretend to know how Redbox works, I know what it is, basically. I see those "Redbox" machines sitting on the sidewalks outside RiteAid and other stores. I wouldn't try to use one. If I want to buy a DVD and can't find it at Walmart or whatever, I order it from Amazon. 

B) 

 

:)   I hear ya.  Don’t be afraid of Redbox, though.  It’s like a vending machine for DVDs.  Yes, a little more hi-tech - which makes it a little intimidating.  And because you are renting the DVDs that come out (instead of purchasing a candy bar or whatever), you do have to provide some personal identification.

But stick with what you are comfortable with.  (I know you don’t need me to tell you that.)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...