RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Howsithangin

Boston “Abolishes” Special SWAT Team That Captured Marathon Bomber

Rate this topic

Howsithangin

Boston “Abolishes” Special SWAT Team That Captured Marathon Bomber

Hotair.com; JAZZ SHAWPosted at 9:31 am on August 2, 2020

If you happen to be an aspiring domestic terrorist, particularly in or around Boston, with a hankering to blow up a marathon or some other large, public event, it’s been a pretty good week for you. First we learned that Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev’s death penalty sentence has been revoked. (At least temporarily.) And now we find out that the elite Boston Transit SWAT team that was widely celebrated for bringing Tsarnaev to justice has been unceremoniously disbanded. Officers assigned to the highly-trained unit were told to turn in their special equipment and return to more regular duty.

(CBS Boston)

"The highly trained Transit SWAT team that was once celebrated for capturing Boston Marathon bomber Dzhokhar Tsarnaev has been dissolved. Transit Police spend a lot of time training for anything that could happen. And in 2013, the unimaginable did…

For a unit that was so highly trained and regarded, sources say the team is disappointed that it has been dissolved. The I-Team reached out to the Transit Police and were told it had no comment on disbanding the unit."

The obvious question here would be… why? The CBS News team who broke this story asked the Boston PD but received no comment. The closest they came was an observation made by some inside sources who said that the tactical team “had not been used on calls much over the last few years.”

LINK to Bostonian stupidity

It's been my experience over the past 50+ years that liberal New Englanders see themselves as the creme de la creme of American society: cultured and oh so intelligent (which is why they keep electing Kennedys....but I digress).  And they do this.  :huh:

USNJIMRET
1 hour ago, Howsithangin said:

had not been used on calls much over the last few years.”

Ya know....I have had vehicle insurance for as long as I have owned a car, and THAT'S going on 47 years now.
Have never used it for ONE accident.

But I'll bet the State would have a crap fit if I said I haven't used it so I don't want to pay for it anymore.

• Agree (+1) 1

mjperry51

There are lots of cities being added to my" Do Not Go' list. . .

• Agree (+1) 2

Dean Adam Smithee

The authors are largely overstating it. This isn't so much a "abolishment" but a "reorganization".

As the article says,  they “had not been used on calls much over the last few years.” That's because they've become redundant to the SWAT team maintained by a consortium of local PDs known as NEMLEC (North East Massachusetts  Law enforcement Council). 

From NEMLEC.com:

What we do: What is a Law Enforcement Council?

Simply stated, a law enforcement council coordinates a collaborative partnership of police agencies in a region that share knowledge, resources and personnel for the benefit of public safety.

There are over 18,000 law enforcement agencies in the United States. Approximately 85% have less than 24 sworn police officers. Agencies must efficiently manage the resources they have to provide public safety services in their communities, and most often provide patrol, 911 response, and criminal investigations. The ability to provide specialized services, such as electronic media assistance , search & rescue, and school safety may be limited. NEMLEC partnerships make many additional services available. By coordinating the sharing of police personnel, NEMLEC offers member police departments access to added resources on a moment’s notice. This allows one agency, if they request aid, to increase its resources temporarily in response to an emergency or large event. NEMLEC’s member agencies are committed to sharing assets and ensuring that communities are prepared for unplanned special occurrences.

I think it's a good idea, and I've seen with my own eyes how such a thing can work. When I lived in Orlando FL in the '80s and '90s, There were a dozen or so LEO agencies in the "Greater" Orlando area. Orlando PD, Ocoee PD, Edgewood PD, Winter Park PD, Orange Co SO, Kissimmee PD, Osceola Co SO. At some point they banded together to  create the "Metropolitan Bureau of Investigation" (MBI), a shared resource available to all to handle everything from Major investigations to SWAT.

Seems to work, and as an assistant to an Orange Co commissioner I once got a peek at MBI's garage and arsenal. Holy Crap! WAY more than any single agency could do on their own.

I've also heard (unofficially) that one of MBIs tasks was "wargaming" a takeover of Disney World ala Black September and then defeating it. That such a thing HASN'T happened says much.

I'm a fan of such things. And as conservatives, aren't we supposed to be all about reducing inefficiencies and redundancies?

Ticked@TinselTown

Now I understand where the name Boston Butt Roast came from...

I have a feeling that the Founding Fathers ( and Mothers) are furiously spinning in their graves.