To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
pepperonikkid

NPR station boots weatherman off-air for comparing Seattle riots to Kristallnacht in Nazi Germany on his personal blog

Rate this topic

pepperonikkid

NPR station boots weatherman off-air for comparing Seattle riots to Kristallnacht in Nazi Germany on his personal blog

https://www.americanthinker.com/

By Thomas Lifson

August 10, 2020

Article:

Don’t you dare compare the ideologically motivated mobs attacking and destroying shops and other property in Seattle with the ideologically motivated mobs that attacked and destroyed Jewish-owned shops in Nazi Germany during Kristallnacht (‘the night of broken glass”) in 1938! Not if you work for nonprofit “public” radio station (and NPR affiliate) KNKX in Tacoma, WA and appear on its air. That station has permanently booted University of Washington Professor Cliff Mass from his weekly weather segment for daring to make such a comparison on his personal blog. In other words, an ideological test has been imposed.

Professor Mass’s blog entry has since been revised to remove the paragraph that apparently caused the greatest controversy, but he remains off air:

222790_5_.png

(screen grab via Ari Hoffman in the Post Millenial)

Reaction came swiftly from the left on social media accusing Mass of anti-Semitism and exaggerating what was going on in riots in Seattle. This is what led to KNKX issuing a public statement and removing Mass and his weather report from the air.

They wrote: "At KNKX, we value high-quality, factual information in our news programming and we aim to present an array of voices that reflect our region.

"We turn to our regular commentators for their expertise and points-of-view when it comes to sports, food and the weather. But if a commentator, even on his own independent platform, delivers rhetoric that is offensive and inaccurate, we cannot support it.

This is the case today with Cliff Mass. His post on his personal blog compares recent events in Seattle to Kristallnacht, the 1938 pogrom carried out by Nazi Germany, and draws distorted, offensive parallels between protesters and Nazi Brownshirts. We abhor the comparison and find it sensationalized and misleading — it does not reflect who we are and what we stand for at KNKX."

Mass explained to KING-TV why he made the comparison:

Mass is Jewish and said his reaction to what he saw in Seattle triggered an emotional chord.  

"To me, this is not academic. My family, even here in the United States, went through a lot of discrimination," he explained. "For example, my father wanted to move to a certain neighborhood, Jews and Blacks weren’t allowed."   

He said parts of his family who lived in Poland were never heard from again after World War II ended. Hitler’s "final solution" was the extermination of millions of European Jews with Poland at the center of it. Most Nazi death camps, including Auschwitz, were located in Poland.

But KNKX said the parallel went too far. In a statement Thursday evening, the radio station said: 

"We turn to our regular commentators for their expertise and points-of-view when it comes to sports, food and the weather. But if a commentator, even on his own independent platform, delivers rhetoric that is offensive and inaccurate, we cannot support it.  This is the case today with Cliff Mass. His post on his personal blog compares recent events in Seattle to Kristallnacht, the 1938 pogrom carried out by Nazi Germany, and draws distorted, offensive parallels between protesters and Nazi Brownshirts. We abhor the comparison and find it sensationalized and misleading -- it does not reflect who we are and what we stand for at KNKX."

KNKX Manager Joey Cohn added the below statement in response to an inquiry from KING 5 on Friday: "I stand by KNKX’s original statement on this issue. I will also add that obviously Cliff had second thoughts about what he wrote, and deleted photos and language from his original blog that compared the protesters to Nazis or fascists. It was those inaccurate, unfair and disrespectful comparisons that led to our decision to remove his segment from KNKX."

Mass said he deleted the reference to Kristallnacht, calling it a distraction.

Full Story

Taggart Transcontinental

Burn down NPR, I am tired of paying for the salaries of that marxist organization.

• Best Post (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 3

Natural Selection

Professor Cliff Mass should add KNKX to his Nazi comparison in his next blog entry.

Hieronymous

Weatherman as in meteorologist or as in that stupid group that Bill Ayers founded?

LongKnife

Before you head into town, remember...

79350273_2696265420456055_16983846232365

• Haha (+1) 2

Martin

I met an American who witnessed Kristallnacht in Berlin.  He said, "The Propaganda Ministry called it a 'spontaneous riot'.  If so, then it was the best-organized 'spontaneous riot' you ever saw.  The men looting the stores were wearing overcoats but when the overcoats parted you could see the Brownshirts uniforms underneath or sometimes the blue uniforms of the Labor Front.  They were busy loading the merchandise into trucks and chasing away everybody else.  One boy tried to steal something for himself and one of the men looting the store chased him away with a whip.  Everyone knew where all the merchandise was going.  It was going to warehouses owned by Nazi big shots."

I don't approve of "cancel culture" in general.  It is an abridgement of freedom of speech.  But, Professor Mass is totally wrong to compare the riots in Seattle with Kristallnacht because the latter was entirely anti-Semitic.  Hundreds of synagogues were burned all over Germany.  The stores which were smashed open and looted on Kristallnacht were Jewish-owned.  The Nazi government refused to require insurance companies to pay claims for the damage.  The two cases are completely different but that historical error should not cost Mass his job.  

• Agree (+1) 2

Joe the Pagan

Looks like KNKX  is in the running for the Leni Riefenstahl prize this year.

Ticked@TinselTown

NPR:   Neo Progressive Radicals

They should be put out of business, and since I am one of their employers thanks to my taxes, I say they're all fired.

• Agree (+1) 1

Dean Adam Smithee
12 hours ago, Hieronymous said:

Weatherman as in meteorologist or as in that stupid group that Bill Ayers founded?

Yes.

Dean Adam Smithee
6 hours ago, Ticked@TinselTown said:

They should be put out of business, and since I am one of their employers thanks to my taxes, I say they're all fired.

FWIW, NPR and PBS get almost nothing from taxpayers these days.

I like PBS for one show only: NOVA.

Ticked@TinselTown
1 hour ago, Dean Adam Smithee said:

FWIW, NPR and PBS get almost nothing from taxpayers these days.

I like PBS for one show only: NOVA.

Then the CPB should be disbanded and the funds should go to some other organization that can stick to the letter of the contract they have with them.

• Agree (+1) 2

Howsithangin
15 hours ago, Taggart Transcontinental said:

Burn down NPR, I am tired of paying for the salaries of that marxist organization.

It is the very first thing I'm doing to do when I become emperor.  :flash:

• Best Post (+1) 1

Howsithangin
15 hours ago, pepperonikkid said:

Full Story

In times of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act.

--Orwell

Howsithangin
9 hours ago, Ticked@TinselTown said:

New Pravda Radio

• Agree (+1) 1

RedSoloCup
On 8/10/2020 at 7:44 AM, Taggart Transcontinental said:

:exactly: