To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Moderator T

Not the Bee: College math prof says "the idea that math is in any way objective is a MYTH" that "reeks of white supremacist patriarchy"

Rate this topic

Moderator T

Not the Bee: College math prof says "the idea that math is in any way objective is a MYTH" that "reeks of white supremacist patriarchy"

Adam Ford

DISCRN

8/10/20

EXCERPT:

Welcome to another edition of Not the Bee.

No, this story is not satire. Yes, it actually happened.

A — don't miss this part, now — a math professor who teaches at Brooklyn College tweeted last week her mind-numbingly postmodern-woke-Marxist sentiment that math is not "in any way objective" and any such idea "reeks of white supremacist patriarchy."

It is odd that she then deleted the tweets, given that she penned them with such enthusiasm. But the good folks at Campus Reform preserved them for us and our posterity:

(Full Story)

• Sad 1

Howsithangin

Well, this certainly explains the condition of inner city finances... :whistling:

• Agree (+1) 1

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

This kind of stupidity and it being inflicted upon students ought to be a criminal offense.

• Agree (+1) 2

Natural Selection
4 hours ago, Moderator T said:

From the "Party of Science". :rofl:

• Haha (+1) 1

Bubbajoebob

15 years ago when I was doing orientation for new faculty, I mentioned to another new faculty member that I'd probably use multiple choice exams for my large introductory physics classes. She was horrified, asking something like "What if they have different reasoning and get a different answer?"  She didn't seem to like that I agreed that in a philosophy or literature class that might be a good point, but that as far as physics goes there is almost always a "right answer", the bridge stays up or it collapses, the ball lands where it lands and it doesn't depend on the background, nationality, family situation, etc. of who threw the ball or designed the bridge.

• Agree (+1) 2

Buckwheat Jones

Sure, Lori, there are other ways to put yourself out of a job. You can tell your boss her ass looks fat in that pantsuit. You can put a Trump 2020 sticker on your car.

But this one’s good too. Nothing like telling your students that the discipline you’re trying to teach them is just a big crock of bullsh!t, right? Once they learn that, who needs you?

• Agree (+1) 2

Ticked@TinselTown

Common Core Retards Example A

• Agree (+1) 1

Dean Adam Smithee
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Buckwheat Jones said:

Sure, Lori, there are other ways to put yourself out of a job. You can tell your boss her ass looks fat in that pantsuit. You can put a Trump 2020 sticker on your car.

But this one’s good too. Nothing like telling your students that the discipline you’re trying to teach them is just a big crock of bullsh!t, right? Once they learn that, who needs you?

It gets worse. According to her bio, she's not a professor of math, but a professor of math education. That is, she doesn't teach math itself but teaches people HOW to teach math. From her faculty profile:

Laurie Rubel

Professor
Secondary Education

Before coming to teach in Brooklyn College's mathematics education program, Laurie Rubel taught high school mathematics, statistics and computer science for nine years, in Manhattan and in Tel Aviv. Her research interests include probabilistic thinking, teacher education, diversity and equity in mathematics education, and the use of real-world urban contexts in the teaching of mathematics...

<cue the sound of a phonograph record scratching>

Waitaminute. You mean to tell me that I've been mistaken all these years in think that the below had to be just a joke???

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

THE CITY OF LOS ANGELES — HIGH SCHOOL MATH PROFICIENCY EXAM

NAME: __________________
GANG: __________________

1. Johnny has an AK-47 with an 80-round clip. If he misses 6 out of 10 shots and shoots 13 times at each drive-by shooting, how many drive-by shootings can he attempt before he has to reload?
  2. Jose has 2 ounces of cocaine and he sells an 8-ball to Jackson for $320 and 2 grams to Billy for $85 per gram. What is the street value of the balance of the cocaine if he doesn't cut it?
  3. Rufus is pimping for three girls. If the price is $65 for each trick, how many tricks will each girl have to turn so Rufus can pay for his $800-per-day crack habit?
  4. Jarone want to cut his 1/2 pound of heroin to make 20% more profit. How many ounces of cut will he need?
  5. Willie gets $200 for stealing a BMW, $50 for a Chevy, and $100 for a 4X4. If he has stolen 2 BMWs, 3 4X4s, how many Chevies will he have to steal to make $800?
  6. Raoul got 6 years for murder. He also got $10,000 for the hit. If his common-law wife spends $100 per month, how much money will be left when he gets out?
  7. Extra credit bonus: how much more time will he get for killing the bitch that that spent his money?
  8. If an average can of spray paint covers 22 square feet and the average letter is 3 square feet, how many letters can be sprayed with 3 eight ounce cans of spray paint with 20% paint free?
  9. Hector knocked up 3 girls in the gang. There are 27 girls in his gang. What is the exact percentage of girls Hector knocked up?
  10. Thelma can cook dinner for her 16 children for $7.50 per night. She gets $234 a month welfare for each child. If her $325 per month rent goes up 15%, how many more children should she have to keep up with her expenses?

EtA: Link to the whole test. Including the apparently necessary disclaimer: "Do not use this at school, especially not in the USA"

Edited by Dean Adam Smithee
  • Haha (+1) 1

Diamond369

Wow.  White supremacy?  I thought that "Persons of Color" such as the Ancient Egyptians, Arabs, and the Chinese made contributions to modern mathematics way, way back in the day.  Maybe I need to brush up on my history.  

Severian
3 hours ago, Diamond369 said:

Wow.  White supremacy?  I thought that "Persons of Color" such as the Ancient Egyptians, Arabs, and the Chinese made contributions to modern mathematics way, way back in the day.  Maybe I need to brush up on my history.  

Don't forget the Indians and of course the Persians. And of course the ancient Greeks, nothing heteronormative there of course. Derp to the nth power!

• Agree (+1) 1