The Economy Is Struggling, but Gun Sales Are Soaring

Rate this topic

pepperonikkid

The Economy Is Struggling, but Gun Sales Are Soaring

https://amgreatness.com/

By Salena Zito 

August 10, 2020

Article:

When protests and riots started sweeping the country after the May 25 death of George Floyd, the FBI clocked another record in June by conducting more than 3.9 million background checks.

OAKMONT, Pennsylvania—Long before you find yourself standing in front of the Smoke N’ Guns shop, the delicate aroma of coffee beans and hand-rolled cigars beckons your senses as you walk along Allegheny River Boulevard.

Outside the shop, four black leather chairs spread a respectable 6 feet apart are waiting for either the overflow of customers or locals such as Marcello Frollo to hold court. He enjoys a rolled cigar along with his double espresso as he listens to the cars rumble along the brick-lined street.

Inside, the store is a visual delight, with a coffee bar and a handful of tables and chairs at the entrance. Boxes filled with the best cigars money can buy are stacked high, and an impressive walk-in humidor is designed to keep them preserved at the perfect temperature.

In the back, a balcony overlooks the rest of the store and spans its entire width. A glass display case with an array of long guns hangs along the wall. In the center, begging to be held, is a Tommy gun. Gregory “Gooch” Ionadi, the owner, waits to help you find the gun you need or want to protect yourself.

That is, if there are any left to buy.

“Prior to the COVID outbreak, President Obama was the best gun salesman we ever had,” says Ionadi. “Anytime he was going to ban this, ban that, there was a rush on gun sales. When President Trump was elected, the fear of a gun ban subsided, and sales were so flat that several gun manufacturers went out of business.”

Things changed dramatically in gun shops across the country in February, when the first concentrated COVID-19 cases in one town were reported out of New Rochelle, New York. “We made more here in … March and April than we did in the last three years,” he says. “It was crazy.”

It wasn’t just his regular customers walking in the door or calling the store. Many of them never imagined themselves owning a gun, an experience reflected in the latest FBI statistics on background checks associated with the sale, transfer or permitting of firearms. An all-time sales high was recorded in March, when the virus outbreak hit and much of the country closed down: The FBI saw 3.7 million background checks.

When protests and riots started sweeping the country after the May 25 death of George Floyd, the FBI clocked another record in June by conducting more than 3.9 million background checks.

Last month, as activists set fires, looted and called for defunding or abolishing the police, the FBI showed that more than 3.6 million firearm background checks were conducted, making July the third-highest month on record.

Those numbers reflect Ionadi’s experience: a surge in sales in March and April, and big numbers in June and July following the riots.

“You wouldn’t believe the first-time gun buyers I’ve seen,” says Ionadi. “I started seeing little old ladies—70, 80 years old—wanting to defend themselves because of what was going on. So, I had to change my thinking. I had to start buying .22 Magnum revolvers. I have some revolvers here, but I had to start buying revolvers that women and older folks could use because they are easy to handle. Semi-auto and a revolver are two different things.”

Full Story

ThePatriot

More evidence that the silent majority is going to break their silence in November as the pull the lever for Trump!

Severian

My gunsmith buddy who owns a shop says he can't keep any handguns in stock, and he's building and selling ARs as fast as he can make them. And revolvers are especially popular as there are a lot of noobs out there, they sell out as fast as he can find them to put on the shelves.

zipndun

In other news, the sun rises in the west, sets in the east. Stories like this, "no it's not rioting" https://www.thegatewaypundit.com/2020/08/good-public-health-behaviors-nm-tyrant-governor-announces-will-keep-covid-19-practices-place-even-pandemic/

A massive lose of freedom, couldn't possibly have anything to do with gun sales climbing. Then lets add the rioting by terrorist. I see no cause for gun sales to be climbing, none! Period, stop buying guns. THERE IS NOTHING TO FEAR!!!! Sarcasm off.

I'm lucky, my dad owned a gun shop for many years, was a war vet as well. He taught me well on this subject. I hope all the newbies to it, I'm sure there are many, get some training. If a first timer, you are going to need it.

• Agree (+1) 1

Ma Deuce

Anybody with a lick of sense will know that it's human nature to buy arms in a time of uncertainty. People will want to protect themselves whether they know how to operate the firearm or not.

As for me, I'm more surprised that I can buy a pump action, 12 gauge shotgun cheaper than I can a tube fed .22 rifle.

Which to buy...which to buy...

What the heck, I think I'll buy both!

• Haha (+1) 1

ffmc65

Add me to this list.  

zipndun
1 hour ago, Ma Deuce said:

Anybody with a lick of sense will know that it's human nature to buy arms in a time of uncertainty. People will want to protect themselves whether they know how to operate the firearm or not.

As for me, I'm more surprised that I can buy a pump action, 12 gauge shotgun cheaper than I can a tube fed .22 rifle.

Which to buy...which to buy...

What the heck, I think I'll buy both!

Good luck.

grimreefer

Noclevermoniker

I started stocking up in 1994 with the advent of the AWB and have not stopped since. 

Severian
Posted (edited)

There are two basic types of gun owners I think, those who buy for a specific purpose and are not interested in guns, or may even dislike them in general. They will buy a pistol for home defense, or a shotgun to go quail hunting, and then generally stop. But for many it becomes a hobby, and you tend to start collecting them because, well, different ones are interesting. As an example, I bought an Uberti reproduction of an 1851 Colt Navy Model revolver, the 1871 cartridge conversion model. Just because I thought it'd be cool to own such an old design, and the gun has a history (Wild Bill Hickok, various robbers, Robert E. Lee). While picking it up I decided I just had to also own an Uberti 1872 Colt Army revolver (the famous Peacekeeper of Westerns everywhere). Now I've got the bug to buy a Henry 1860 lever action rifle to go with them, just because, well, it goes with them!

I will say one thing, compared to a modern plastic pistol there's a world of difference. Something like a Glock or such is a much more practical and useful pistol for defense in the modern world, but holding a piece of plastic and alloy in your hand will never have the kind of tactile satisfaction and feel of holding a brass, case hardened steel, and walnut old style gun. It's quite cool.

Edited by Severian
  • Best Post (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1