To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Ladybird

The USPS is shutting down mail-sorting machines crucial for processing absentee ballots as the 2020 election looms

Rate this topic

Ladybird
Posted (edited)

The USPS is shutting down mail-sorting machines crucial for processing absentee ballots as the 2020 election looms

Aaron Holmes 

https://www.businessinsider.com/

22 hours ago

United States Postal Service workers say mail-sorting machines are being taken apart and removed from distribution facilities across the US, raising concerns about their ability to handle a surge in mail-in ballots for the general election in November.

At least 19 mail-sorting machines, which can process up to 35,000 pieces of mail per hour, have been removed without any explanation, postal workers told Motherboard. And an internal letter published by the USPS in June outlines a plan to remove hundreds of mail-sorting machines from operation this year.

It's the latest in a series of sweeping changes that Postmaster General Louis DeJoy, a major donor to President Donald Trump, has made to the agency since taking office earlier this summer. Postal workers and elected officials have said the changes dismantle the US Postal Service and could have devastating effects on the election, when many people are expected to vote by mail because of the coronavirus pandemic.

Kimberly Karol, the president of the Iowa Postal Workers Union, confirmed that machines were being removed and told NPR in an interview this week that DeJoy's policies were "now affecting the way that we do business and not allowing us to deliver every piece every day."

In a letter to DeJoy last week, the Democratic congressional leaders Nancy Pelosi and Chuck Schumer said that the removal of mail-sorting machines and other cost-cutting measures "threaten the timely delivery of mail," including absentee ballots.

In a statement to Business Insider, a USPS representative, Dave Partenheimer, said the notion that mail-sorting machines were being deactivated to sabotage mail-in voting was "erroneous."

"The Postal Service routinely moves equipment around its network as necessary to match changing mail and package volumes," Partenheimer said. "Package volume is up, but mail volume continues to decline. Adapting our processing infrastructure to the current volumes will ensure more efficient, cost effective operations and better service for our customers."

Trump has repeatedly attacked the USPS and its role in the 2020 election, claiming that voting by mail is inherently fraudulent despite evidence that the rate of fraud is extremely low and that mail-in voting doesn't help or hurt one political party over the other. On Thursday, Trump told Fox Business that he would withhold funding from the USPS to harm mail-in voting.

"They want $25 billion — billion — for the post office. Now they need that money in order to have the post office work so it can take all of these millions and millions of ballots," Trump said, adding, "But if they don't get those two items, that means you can't have universal mail-in voting."

DeJoy, a major Trump donor, has overseen sweeping changes at the USPS, slashing its budget amid the COVID-19 pandemic and freezing hiring since he took control of the agency in May.

<snip>

Link

Edited by Ladybird
  • Disagree (-1) 1

Ladybird
Just now, NH Populist said:

If you can shop for groceries wearing a mask, you can vote wearing one.  Biden's not a serious threat to win in November unless the Left can convince voters it's too dangerous for in-person voting.   Period...

Right.. Because everyone in US does their shopping on the same day..

• Disagree (-1) 3

NH Populist
Just now, Ladybird said:

And...?!

• Agree (+1) 4

Ladybird
1 minute ago, NH Populist said:

And...?!

You don't think conditions would be a tad more crowded than an average day in the A & P?  Social distancing, remember? We're in a pandemic..

• Disagree (-1) 3

USNJIMRET
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

Well first off, not "everyone in US" does much of anything on the same day. Certainly not shop or vote.

In fact, a sizable percent of the people who DO shop on any given day aren't even legally eligible to vote. (Read teens not yet 18 and illegals of ANY age.)
Also if the effectiveness of 'social distancing' and mandatory mask wear is determined by the number of people doing it, then it is naught but a hoax.
Then again the insane notion that 6' separation works but 5' 11'' is damn near attempted murder.......but THAT insanity is for another discussion.

Edited by USNJIMRET
Additional thoughts
  • Agree (+1) 2

USNJIMRET

Another thought on that 'social distancing' stupidity.
The ''protestors'' are all distant from each other for hours on end, yeah?

• Agree (+1) 4

LongKnife
8 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

You don't think conditions would be a tad more crowded than an average day in the A & P?  Social distancing, remember? We're in a pandemic..

If you give it even a little honest thought, the risks presented by the the pandemic are far outweighed by the benefit of in-person voting. If you can't understand the potential for massive fraud with mail-in voting and what that could result in, then I'm quite sure you see no reason to avoid it.

• Agree (+1) 4

kestrel
Posted (edited)
10 minutes ago, LongKnife said:

If you give it even a little honest thought, the risks presented by the the pandemic are far outweighed by the benefit of in-person voting. If you can't understand the potential for massive fraud with mail-in voting and what that could result in, then I'm quite sure you see no reason to avoid it.

From a cult member? SHE/HE/IT would be Shunned if anything remotely resembling Honest Thought occurred

Kestrel...

Edited by kestrel

Taggart Transcontinental
28 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

I went and voted in the primary election in July. Guess what!?!?! No Wuhan Flu. You can hide in your basement if you are afraid of this disease. Know what we aren't talking about? The total percentage of people that get the infection and RECOVER from it. In order to make any sort of rational decision about anything you need to know the rate of infection and the rate of recovery.  We aren't being told about that, now isn't that odd? Of course not. It's not odd to someone conditioned to fear at the drop of the hat.

• Agree (+1) 3

Weaseljd
42 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

Even Fauci said either yesterday or today there is no reason we cannot have in person voting.  Is Fauci no longer a reliable opinion now that he has said something that does not fit the Democrat narrative?

• Agree (+1) 2

Weaseljd
14 minutes ago, Taggart Transcontinental said:

I went and voted in the primary election in July. Guess what!?!?! No Wuhan Flu. You can hide in your basement if you are afraid of this disease. Know what we aren't talking about? The total percentage of people that get the infection and RECOVER from it. In order to make any sort of rational decision about anything you need to know the rate of infection and the rate of recovery.  We aren't being told about that, now isn't that odd? Of course not. It's not odd to someone conditioned to fear at the drop of the hat.

I voted in Missouri's primary elections last week in person.  Took me all of 20 minutes and I never got within 6 feet of a single person who was not sitting behind a plastic shield as they scanned my drivers license to ensure I was me and I was eligible to vote.

• Agree (+1) 2

Taggart Transcontinental
1 minute ago, Weaseljd said:

I voted in Missouri's primary elections last week in person.  Took me all of 20 minutes and I never got within 6 feet of a single person who was not sitting behind a plastic shield as they scanned my drivers license to ensure I was me and I was eligible to vote.

Exactly, this wuhan scam was a generated fear box designed to force us into submission. It's about controlling us before the election so they can foist the crypt keeper onto us to enslave us.

• Confused 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

Martin

I once lived on a street named Oak River Drive.  I kept getting mail for the same house number on Oak Drive.  The party who lived at that address kept getting my mail, too.  I complained to the local postmaster.  She shrugged and said there was nothing she could do about it.  You might assume that getting mail to the correct address is the exact responsibility of a postmaster but she considered herself helpless to do that.  

I suspect that she was talking about was the consistent failure of postal sorting machines to distinguish between Oak River Drive and Oak Drive.  She was obliged to use those machines and if they directed the mail to the wrong address, so be it.  She could not change how the sorting machines worked or failed to, so if they malfunctioned that was not her problem.  

• Agree (+1) 1

Dutch13
1 hour ago, Ladybird said:

I haven't voted on "Election day" in a long time time.  Our county allows you to go to the courthouse and vote IN PERSON by showing an ID.  About a week before election day, that process ends so they can move the voting roll books to the correct precinct.

If we can protest by the 10's of thousands, we can do elections normally.

• Agree (+1) 3

Magic Rat

Everyone seems to riot on the same day with no fear of any kind of "pandemic".

• Agree (+1) 4

USNJIMRET
53 minutes ago, Martin said:

I once lived on a street named Oak River Drive.  I kept getting mail for the same house number on Oak Drive.  The party who lived at that address kept getting my mail, too.  I complained to the local postmaster.  She shrugged and said there was nothing she could do about it.  You might assume that getting mail to the correct address is the exact responsibility of a postmaster but she considered herself helpless to do that.  

I suspect that she was talking about was the consistent failure of postal sorting machines to distinguish between Oak River Drive and Oak Drive.  She was obliged to use those machines and if they directed the mail to the wrong address, so be it.  She could not change how the sorting machines worked or failed to, so if they malfunctioned that was not her problem.  

I worked for USPS a few years back in a small rural town. The first class mail arrived from, I believe, Denver already sorted by the bar code under the address.
The postmaster had ZERO ability to do anything but hope that the carriers knew their routes well enough to make an on the fly correction.
It wasn't that the local postmaster didn't want to fix the issue, they are not able to.
Yes, it can be more then a little frustrating to not get your mail. But the system is so complex, large and unionized that it's near impossible to fix such a relatively minor issue as you noted.

• Agree (+1) 1

4LetterState

I plan to go the early voting route. I’m also looking into being a pill worker because there may be a shortage of workers given their average age is 70 or so. I suspect, and I think we have seen, that there may be decrease of available polling locations. 
Yes, I support voting in person if it can be done safely and effectively (I don’t consider waiting in line for hours on end to be effective or efficient). But the reality is that there are going to be a whole lot of people who don’t feel they can do in-person voting. I include my 76 and 78 year old parents who have asthma and diabetes (respectively), my aunt with MS, and other health-compromised family members. Most of whom, much to my chagrin, are Republicans. We owe it to everyone to have a secure and well-managed Mail-in ballot option. 

Fed_up

Most places in the USA do not require everyone to show up on one day to vote. Early voting .....in person.....starts in mid October in Texas. 

• Agree (+1) 2

firecoco
1 minute ago, 4LetterState said:

I plan to go the early voting route. I’m also looking into being a pill worker because there may be a shortage of workers given their average age is 70 or so. I suspect, and I think we have seen, that there may be decrease of available polling locations. 
Yes, I support voting in person if it can be done safely and effectively (I don’t consider waiting in line for hours on end to be effective or efficient). But the reality is that there are going to be a whole lot of people who don’t feel they can do in-person voting. I include my 76 and 78 year old parents who have asthma and diabetes (respectively), my aunt with MS, and other health-compromised family members. Most of whom, much to my chagrin, are Republicans. We owe it to everyone to have a secure and well-managed Mail-in ballot option. 

It's called absentee ballot...Look it up

Sheesh this isn't rocket science 

• Agree (+1) 4

MontyPython
1 minute ago, 4LetterState said:

Yes, keep in mind nobody here (or anywhere else I've ever seen) has complained about absentee ballots for those (like your parents) with a legitimate need. It's only when the voter-fraud-ripe proposal to send EVERYBODY a mail-in ballot, with or without a legitimate need, is brought up that sensible people object.

B)

• Agree (+1) 2