Cancelling The 9/11 Lights Dishonors New York’s Heroes

Rate this topic

pepperonikkid

Cancelling The 9/11 Lights Dishonors New York’s Heroes

https://thefederalist.com/

By David Marcus

AUGUST 14, 2020

Article:

It is bad enough to come to the realization that Americans are becoming a cowardly people. What makes it worse is that within living memory we have the example of heroic men and women who laid down their lives to save others as the Twin Towers toppled and thousands of heartbeats fell silent.

Friday, the feckless leaders of New York City’s September 11th Memorial Museum have chosen to dishonor the memory of those heroes by cancelling the annual light display to their lasting memory.

The reason given for cancelling this display, an annual prayer and tender opportunity for reflection, is absurd and cynical. Like everything in our locked down lives the coronavirus is to blame. How, the non-profit museum wonders, could the lights be assembled without creating a super spreader event? Nevermind that grocery stores, pharmacies, bodegas, and yes, don’t forget protests go on apace. No, there is just no way that lighting can be assembled without risking a new outbreak. It is ridiculous on its face.

Michael Bloomberg, the worrywart former mayor of Gotham, is the Chairman of the museum’s board, which also includes Robert De Niro and Mets Chief Operating Officer Jeff Wilpon. Maybe the latter explains this dumb decision-making. As Staten Island City Councilman Joe Borelli put it, “This was the wrong call by the museum’s board. They have the opportunity to be leaders and live up to the museum’s mission, but I suppose some, like Robert De Niro, would prefer to just keep lecturing us on everything else.”

Indeed. What is the not-so-subtle message behind this decision to erase the two thin blue lights? Could it be that along with our city’s brave firemen those lights also commemorate the 23 police officers who died that tragic day, or the more than 200 who died from related illness? Is this not the right time to honor cops? Would that be insensitive to the cultural moment? It is far easier for the museum’s leadership to sulk away from honoring police officers with pathetic excuses like coronavirus.

It’s not good enough, not by half. We need those lights. We need the shock of remembrance on that first cool evening as dusk reveals them climbing to the heavens. Our children, too young to have seen that day, need to see this tribute and be told the stories of heroes, their heroes who men in fancy suits and positions of power once claimed they would “never forget.”

Full Story

USNJIMRET

Personally I don't think it has much to do with not honoring police at all.
It's all about the left's sick love affair with muslims.

Don't want to remind real Americans how those islamic basturds murdered so many of us, do we?

• Best Post (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 3

Squirrel
20 minutes ago, USNJIMRET said:

Personally I don't think it has much to do with not honoring police at all.
It's all about the left's sick love affair with muslims.

Don't want to remind real Americans how those islamic basturds murdered so many of us, do we?

Well said. If it was actually a saftey employee issue hire 30 grocery store clerks, baggers or Walmart employees. You could pay them 2x what they make and they’d love the work. There’s nothing about any of the shut down that makes sense unless a person can admit they claim some lives are expendable. It’s just anouther excuse by the left to say Muslim feelings matter more then American lives matter. It’s the left being the left.

• Agree (+1) 1

Dean Adam Smithee
4 hours ago, pepperonikkid said:

It is bad enough to come to the realization that Americans are becoming a cowardly people.

If the author believes that "Americans are becoming a cowardly people." then he's OBVIOUSLY hanging with the wrong group of Americans.

As for 9/11 "day"? Meh. I believe in celebrating victories rather fretting over defeats; I don't do anything special on EITHER 9/11 nor 12/7. But I DO celebrate Veteran's Day and Memorial Day.

I also recognize "National Police week", the week surrounding May 15th which JFK designated as Nat'l Peace Officers Day".  You're supposed to change your porch light color to Blue. Yeah, I can do that.

But... I'm confused about colors. Up north, cops have red lights and volunteer firemen have blue lights. Down south it's just the opposite.  Use to be a third category of green light reserved  for EMS being neither FIRE nor LEO. Never seems to have caught on, I dunno why. All I know is, I see "disco lights" behind me of whatever color, I'm going to pull over and let them pass.

As for porch lights, I suggest a fourth color for a porch light: Purple,  as in "purple heart". Especially the weeks of Memorial Day and Veteran's day.

What do Y'all think? Heck, I might send this up to at least the Cobb Co Commission if not the GA legislature. 

• Agree (+1) 1

Ticked@TinselTown

Let's be brutally honest here, given the way the politicos have been ham stringing the police, it has become VERY obvious that TERRORISTS lives matter and everyone else is merely fodder for the machine.

Shuttering the lights at the memorial is merely a signal to the enemy that their cronies here on American soil are feeling victorious.

• Agree (+1) 2

Rock N' Roll Right Winger
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Ticked@TinselTown said:

Let's be brutally honest here, given the way the politicos have been ham stringing the police, it has become VERY obvious that TERRORISTS lives matter and everyone else is merely fodder for the machine.

Shuttering the lights at the memorial is merely a signal to the enemy that their cronies here on American soil are feeling victorious.

:exactly::exactly:

Demoncraps LOVE every form of lowlife deviant criminal degenerate that there is and HATE all good normal law abiding people.

We see our resident lefties here defend and champion them all of the time the same as all democrap politicians.

Edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger
  • Agree (+1) 1

Diamond369

Sad.  Who else thinks this is a bad thing to do?  I wonder what if they had family who died that day?  I wonder what decision they would make.

• Agree (+1) 1

Ladybird

NYS to provide health personnel to allow 9/11 tribute in light

Posted: Aug 15, 2020 / 03:54 PM EDT / Updated: Aug 15, 2020 / 03:57 PM EDT

Too short to excerpt

https://www.rochesterfirst.com/

ALBANY, N.Y. (WWTI) — New York State will provide proper health personnel to allow for a safe 9/11 tribute in light.

Governor Andrew Cuomo announced on Saturday that the tribute in light show will be held safely for New Yorkers.

The Governor said:

“This year it is especially important that we all appreciate and commemorate 9/11, the lives lost, and the heroism displayed as New Yorkers are once again called upon to face a common enemy. I understand the Museum’s concern for health and safety, and appreciate their reconsideration. The state will provide health personnel to supervise to make sure the event is held safely while at the same time properly honoring 9/11. We will never forget.”

link

Squirrel
29 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

Too short to excerpt

ALBANY, N.Y. (WWTI) — New York State will provide proper health personnel to allow for a safe 9/11 tribute in light.

Governor Andrew Cuomo announced on Saturday that the tribute in light show will be held safely for New Yorkers.

The Governor said:

“This year it is especially important that we all appreciate and commemorate 9/11, the lives lost, and the heroism displayed as New Yorkers are once again called upon to face a common enemy. I understand the Museum’s concern for health and safety, and appreciate their reconsideration. The state will provide health personnel to supervise to make sure the event is held safely while at the same time properly honoring 9/11. We will never forget.”

link

Awe how many lives would be endansgered running it again? I think an earlier post said it would take 20-30 people to set up. As I stated and now will ask you even if it’s 100 people why not offer that job to the grocery , Walmart, Home Depot , or Lowe’s employee? You don’t think they would love extra hours at even 20$ an hour. But I guess that doesn’t matter to you. Those lives are worth less then you when they serve you. But we have to take away their money when it might do something that offends you or reminds Americans what the Muslim religion caused. 

Ladybird
13 hours ago, Squirrel said:

Awe how many lives would be endansgered running it again? I think an earlier post said it would take 20-30 people to set up. As I stated and now will ask you even if it’s 100 people why not offer that job to the grocery , Walmart, Home Depot , or Lowe’s employee? You don’t think they would love extra hours at even 20$ an hour. But I guess that doesn’t matter to you. Those lives are worth less then you when they serve you. But we have to take away their money when it might do something that offends you or reminds Americans what the Muslim religion caused. 

What in Gods name are you babbling about? 

Magic Rat
19 hours ago, Ladybird said:

Too short to excerpt

The Governor said:

link

Good for Cuomo to do that.  My cynical side suspects that, because they hate each other's guts, it is more a big "screw you" to DeBlasio than out of any patriotic motivation but it's good he announced this.