To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Martin

White People Should be Twice as Kind to Black People

Rate this topic

Martin

People of Color Learn at a Young Age That They Must Be Twice as Good. Now White People Need to Be Twice as Kind

By Savala Trepczynski

Trepczynski is Executive Director of the Center for Social Justice at UC Berkeley School of Law.

https://time.com/5871387/white-people-must-be-twice-as-kind/

I wish I could speak to this neighbor, because people of color have a golden rule that would be useful for white people, too. Our rule says be twice as good. Starting when we’re children, people of color learn in overt and subtle ways that we must often be twice as good (and work twice as hard) to get half as far as our white counterparts. This adage is a way of recognizing how systemic racism impacts our lives, and it encourages us to keep pushing against it.

I’m calling for white folks to adopt a version of this rule for themselves and their anti-racist work: be twice as kind. This is a way to recognize how systemic racism works in your lives. Be twice as kind, thoughtful, and peaceful to the Black and brown people you encounter these days. Because you may harbor unconscious bias that gets in the way of being kind, particularly with black and brown people you don’t know very well. We see this bias in everyone from doctors to employers, from teachers to strangers on the street, and even in children. And because right now we are the walking wounded. We’re not just that, it must be said. But we are so very, very tired. We’re grieving. We’re recovering. We’re freshly injured almost every day. And it would help to have white people practice extra basic kindness with us even in the small interactions between neighbors, strangers, and colleagues. Yes, we need systemic change, too. But our lives are made of moments (and memories) like what I experienced with my neighbor. They add up.

Strange though it may be for white people to begin adding extra kindness to their interactions with black and brown people, it’s time for this shoe to be worn on the other foot, too...Along with learning about things like white apathy and white fragility, redlining and convict leasing, and the over-policing and under-resourcing of Black neighborhoods, white people’s work should include a heightened standard of kindness toward the Black and brown people they run into in life. Consider it an intentional counterweight to the unconscious racism that is almost certainly present in your mind and heart.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Black people who have learned they must be twice as good...

looters_target.jpg

• Agree (+1) 1

Specs

Lol this propagandist is crazy.

• Agree (+1) 3

Martin
Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, USNRETWIFE said:

Sorry, I couldn't read all of this rubbish. 

You don't have to.  Just read the final sentence. 

"If you are white, you are a racist so you should be extra-nice to me because I am black.  If you have never done anything racist, that means you are still guilty of subconscious racism, systemic racism and micro-aggressions.  Now, get your white @ss to the back of the bus or I shall taunt you a second time."

Photo of 92-year-old white woman being extra nice to Mr. Rashid Brimmage:

rashid-brimmage-assault-92-year-old-woman.jpg

Edited by Martin
add photo
  • Agree (+1) 3

zipndun

How about a radical idea? Really a radical idea? Love thy neighbour, treat everyone with the respect and dignity they show to you. Regardless of skin color! Problem solved.

• Best Post (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 3

Shaky McSelfie

Here she is in all of her blackness.

trepczynski_savala_210x270-2-210x270.jpg

Looks like she is missing some of that blackness I might add. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Confused 1

USNRETWIFE
48 minutes ago, MontyPython said:

Well c'mon . . . When you knew it was written by the "Executive Director of the Center for Social Justice at UC Berkeley School of Law", you had to know it was going to be vile, racist nonsense.

And sure enough it was.

<_< 

I made the mistake of not looking at the author or where it was from.  Won't make that mistake again!

• Agree (+1) 4

Rock N' Roll Right Winger
Posted (edited)
3 hours ago, Martin said:

People of Color Learn at a Young Age That They Must Be Twice as Good. Now White People Need to Be Twice as Kind

By Savala Trepczynski

Trepczynski is Executive Director of the Center for Social Justice at UC Berkeley School of Law.

https://time.com/5871387/white-people-must-be-twice-as-kind/

I wish I could speak to this neighbor, because people of color have a golden rule that would be useful for white people, too. Our rule says be twice as good. Starting when we’re children, people of color learn in overt and subtle ways that we must often be twice as good (and work twice as hard) to get half as far as our white counterparts. This adage is a way of recognizing how systemic racism impacts our lives, and it encourages us to keep pushing against it.

I’m calling for white folks to adopt a version of this rule for themselves and their anti-racist work: be twice as kind. This is a way to recognize how systemic racism works in your lives. Be twice as kind, thoughtful, and peaceful to the Black and brown people you encounter these days. Because you may harbor unconscious bias that gets in the way of being kind, particularly with black and brown people you don’t know very well. We see this bias in everyone from doctors to employers, from teachers to strangers on the street, and even in children. And because right now we are the walking wounded. We’re not just that, it must be said. But we are so very, very tired. We’re grieving. We’re recovering. We’re freshly injured almost every day. And it would help to have white people practice extra basic kindness with us even in the small interactions between neighbors, strangers, and colleagues. Yes, we need systemic change, too. But our lives are made of moments (and memories) like what I experienced with my neighbor. They add up.

Strange though it may be for white people to begin adding extra kindness to their interactions with black and brown people, it’s time for this shoe to be worn on the other foot, too...Along with learning about things like white apathy and white fragility, redlining and convict leasing, and the over-policing and under-resourcing of Black neighborhoods, white people’s work should include a heightened standard of kindness toward the Black and brown people they run into in life. Consider it an intentional counterweight to the unconscious racism that is almost certainly present in your mind and heart.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

Black people who have learned they must be twice as good...

looters_target.jpg

The bolded/highlighted text is the biggest load of bullshidt ever. Blacks have to work only half as hard for the same pay with much lower standards/qualifications and they are hardly ever held accountable for anything as compared to whites. There. I said it.

It's been that way everywhere that I have been all of my life, especially at my current workplace.

In fact the whole article is censoreding :bs:

Edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger
  • Best Post (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 3

3 hours ago, Ticked@TinselTown said:

Hey, Salsa Trapsink!

White people HAVE been twice as kind.

Are you familiar with affirmative action? That's a program that puts people of color, with lower grades into colleges with full ride scholarships while white students with better grades, and equally NO MONEY, get nothing.

It's a program that puts less qualified candidates into jobs that they are not capable of doing by themselves, while white candidates who ARE qualified to do the job themselves get turned away.

You see, that extra kindness is what has taught SOME people of color that they should get what they want SIMPLY based on the color of their skin, without having to put any effort into anything to achieve it, JUST GIVE IT TO ME BECAUSE I'M ________________. 

They don't understand what it is to simply be an American, they have to be a hyphenated American, and they have to have special privileges OTHER than being an American to achieve something because they don't want to have to work for what they have in their lives.

You'd be surprised at the number of Americans of varying colors who don't think the way you do, because they live their lives as Americans, no hyphens required.

They go to school and work hard to get good grades, which is what EVERY student regardless of color should do.

They apply for jobs and get hired based on their qualifications, not a special metric applied to them to give them a leg up in the process.

They read articles like yours and become deeply offended that someone spews this kind of garbage because YOU are the racist and bigot displaying your ignorance from a very large pulpit, and other ignorant people are buying your swill.

To perpetuate that mindset is insulting to EVERYONE.

:clap: :welldone:

People like me and even a few blacks that I work with (the good workers) are also tired of the dumbed down :bs: and other blacks not doing their job and not being expected to while we all have to do ours well.

• Agree (+1) 3

2 hours ago, erp said:

Somebody probably slapped it off of her?

• Haha (+1) 2

Specs
2 hours ago, erp said:

She is as ugly as her soul.

• Agree (+1) 2

Noclevermoniker
3 hours ago, erp said:

Along with those light eyes.... Sure, Karen. 

• Haha (+1) 3

AntiObama

Any Liberal SOB attacks me when out in public I am capable of sending you to hell and I will not give you a second chance. So bring it on you filthy maggots !!!

Liberal maggots beating on the bongos and a protest.

• Agree (+1) 1

JerryL
Posted (edited)

Here are some more pearls from this "educator:"

"This year, I’ll remember that my urge to be thin is deeply connected to anti-black racism. It took me a long time to see this, but controlling my weight was often a way to feel and seem more white and less black. Dieting became a compensation for my blackness as I navigated primarily white institutions, from grade school to law firms."  Scratch the surface of diet culture and you’ll see that it’s rooted in female obedience and even racism. 

Everything that a black comes in contact is rooted in racism.  Even their eating habits and their body types.  There is nothing negative, or perceived as negative, in a black person's life that can't be traced back to racism.

What about white men and women who struggle with weight (me, included)?  Why don't I get to blame that on racism?   Should I feel like I need to be thinner to feel wholly "white?"  How about Hispanics?  Lot of heavy Hispanics out there.  If they desire to lose weight, is it racial pressure that is making them feel this way?

We are seriously messed up as a country when BS like this is what we PAY university professors to think and write and indoctrinate our youth with.  

Edited by JerryL
  • Best Post (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

Howsithangin

Considering how many treat white (and asian, and hispanic) people like shiese, 2x schiese still equals schiese

• Agree (+1) 2

ScottZ

This professor  is a genius! We could actually eliminate racism, if only we were all required to follow a set of rules, based on our race. And treat others based on their race!

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

RedSoloCup
14 hours ago, erp said:

Ugly on the outside, as she is on the inside. 

• Agree (+1) 1

RedSoloCup
11 hours ago, Rock N' Roll Right Winger said:

Somebody probably slapped it off of her?

:biglaugh:

zurg
31 minutes ago, ScottZ said:

This professor  is a genius! We could actually eliminate racism, if only we were all required to follow a set of rules, based on our race. And treat others based on their race!

Perfect! Let’s rank people by race so that we can eliminate racism! 

• Haha (+1) 1

Natural Selection
16 minutes ago, zurg said:

Perfect! Let’s rank people by race so that we can eliminate racism! 

Then we can focus on eliminating gender so we can elect the first female President!

• Haha (+1) 3