Zoom educators call cops on virtual student

Rate this topic

pepperonikkid

https://www.americanthinker.com/

By Eric Utter

August 22, 2020

Article:

A Maryland fifth-grader got a visit from the police after his teacher called to report that she had seen a BB gun on the wall behind the student during a class video call. The boy’s mother, Courtney Lancaster Sperry, a navy veteran, wrote a Facebook post stating: “While my son was on a Zoom call, a ‘concerned parent’ and subsequently two teachers saw his properly stowed and mounted Red Ryder BB gun and one other BB gun in the background. He was not holding them and never intentionally showed them on video. In fact, he was oblivious that they could even be seen in the background.”

One of the teachers told the school’s principal, who decided to call the police to report the guns and ask that the home be searched. Hmm…have a warrant? Probable cause? Do teachers and principals now have the power of judges, juries, the FBI? (Ever notice that progressives disdain and eschew the police unless and until they want to use them to oppress those with whom they disagree?) When this country was lapping the world economically and defeating supposedly invincible foes like Hitler’s Germany and Tojo’s Japan—at the same time—nearly every kid had a Red Ryder BB gun and/or a .22 rifle…and a lot of them in rural areas brought them to school. That is when Uncle Sam had balls and was not “non-binary,” and when American citizens were unafraid of being disliked for…the right reasons.

Since her son was targeted by an “educator” who thought there was a scary-looking gun on her son’s bedroom wall, Sperry has been warning other parents about the lack of privacy during virtual classes. She stated that the principal and the teacher cited a rule stating that students may not bring guns to school and claimed it extended to virtual classes as well. She said that the school handbook does not address rules for virtual learning at all, and added, “he did not BRING anything to this meeting, and he is in his own home,” and noted (of the ‘guns’), “They were simply in the background in our home, safely stowed in a room behind a closed door, with no ammunition (if you can even call it that).”

Sperry’s son did not “bring anything to school.” Rather, the school was brought into their private home. It is offensive-- and scary-- to me that A Zoom-conveyed image of government academicians can invade the space where a perfectly innocent child, mother-- and firearm-- reside. Firearms, like mama Sperry’s Navy, have been tireless defenders of freedom and underdogs for many decades now.

The same can not be said of government schools.

Full Story

LeansToTheRight

This is yet another reason to defund public schools, provide vouchers for parents, and promote private education opportunities.

• Agree (+1) 2

Rock N' Roll Right Winger
Posted (edited)

I have read of a similar occurance like this in another city and state.

This is :bs:

It is none of the school's any damned business about anything lawful that goes on in any student's home.

Edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger

kestrel
1 hour ago, pepperonikkid said:

By Eric Utter

August 22, 2020

Article:

A Maryland fifth-grader got a visit from the police after his teacher called to report that she had seen a BB gun on the wall behind the student during a class video call. The boy’s mother, Courtney Lancaster Sperry, a navy veteran, wrote a Facebook post stating: “While my son was on a Zoom call, a ‘concerned parent’ and subsequently two teachers saw his properly stowed and mounted Red Ryder BB gun and one other BB gun in the background. He was not holding them and never intentionally showed them on video. In fact, he was oblivious that they could even be seen in the background.”

One of the teachers told the school’s principal, who decided to call the police to report the guns and ask that the home be searched. Hmm…have a warrant? Probable cause? Do teachers and principals now have the power of judges, juries, the FBI? (Ever notice that progressives disdain and eschew the police unless and until they want to use them to oppress those with whom they disagree?) When this country was lapping the world economically and defeating supposedly invincible foes like Hitler’s Germany and Tojo’s Japan—at the same time—nearly every kid had a Red Ryder BB gun and/or a .22 rifle…and a lot of them in rural areas brought them to school. That is when Uncle Sam had balls and was not “non-binary,” and when American citizens were unafraid of being disliked for…the right reasons.

Since her son was targeted by an “educator” who thought there was a scary-looking gun on her son’s bedroom wall, Sperry has been warning other parents about the lack of privacy during virtual classes. She stated that the principal and the teacher cited a rule stating that students may not bring guns to school and claimed it extended to virtual classes as well. She said that the school handbook does not address rules for virtual learning at all, and added, “he did not BRING anything to this meeting, and he is in his own home,” and noted (of the ‘guns’), “They were simply in the background in our home, safely stowed in a room behind a closed door, with no ammunition (if you can even call it that).”

Sperry’s son did not “bring anything to school.” Rather, the school was brought into their private home. It is offensive-- and scary-- to me that A Zoom-conveyed image of government academicians can invade the space where a perfectly innocent child, mother-- and firearm-- reside. Firearms, like mama Sperry’s Navy, have been tireless defenders of freedom and underdogs for many decades now.

Full Story

But my siri/alexa...and God knows what all of like nomenclature is just fine!...🦂

Kestrel...

Dean Adam Smithee

This whole thing over a BB Gun is asinine.  THAT SAID, the article does raise a legit question:

27 minutes ago, pepperonikkid said:

One of the teachers told the school’s principal, who decided to call the police to report the guns and ask that the home be searched. Hmm…have a warrant? Probable cause? Do teachers and principals now have the power of judges, juries, the FBI?...

The answer is YES... to a degree.  Bear in mind that teachers are "mandatory reporters" of certain things. And seeing something via zoom would fit the "plain sight" exception to needing a warrant. 

For example, if a teacher sees something on zoom that would lead them to believe the student is being or has been abused or neglected, the teacher is not merely allowed to report it but REQUIRED to report it.   

Word to Parents, and I'm serious: I'm NOT opposed to corporal punishment (within reason).  But if you're at home and see your kid doing or saying something that you feel deserves a smack upside the head (or elsewhere), PLEASE don't do it in "Plain sight" of anyone on Zoom/WebEx/Whatever.

Another example would be a teacher seeing something plainly illegal: Drug use, underage alcohol etc.

image.png

• Disagree (-1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

zurg
40 minutes ago, Dean Adam Smithee said:

This whole thing over a BB Gun is asinine.  THAT SAID, the article does raise a legit question:

The answer is YES... to a degree.  Bear in mind that teachers are "mandatory reporters" of certain things. And seeing something via zoom would fit the "plain sight" exception to needing a warrant. 

For example, if a teacher sees something on zoom that would lead them to believe the student is being or has been abused or neglected, the teacher is not merely allowed to report it but REQUIRED to report it.   

Word to Parents, and I'm serious: I'm NOT opposed to corporal punishment (within reason).  But if you're at home and see your kid doing or saying something that you feel deserves a smack upside the head (or elsewhere), PLEASE don't do it in "Plain sight" of anyone on Zoom/WebEx/Whatever.

Another example would be a teacher seeing something plainly illegal: Drug use, underage alcohol etc.

image.png

Why do you have to lecture people about imagined things they haven’t done? 

• Agree (+1) 1

Dean Adam Smithee
12 minutes ago, zurg said:

Why do you have to lecture people about imagined things they haven’t done? 

(Apologies for any weird images in my post. I was online with Microsoft support building a PC at the same time as posting this, and the screenshot I was trying to send to MS  about "office 19 activation" apparently somehow got embedded here. )

"imagined things they haven’t done"???

I've been doing corporate meetings via Cisco WebEx (similar to Zoom) since late March. Let's just say, I've seen things that I didn't really need to see. Talking with a plastics exec and the wife walks in stark nekkid. Yeah, okay, nice tits (But are they real?)  and.... ALL I CAN SAY IS... just be CAREFUL when the webcam is on.   

• Disagree (-1) 1

zurg
29 minutes ago, Dean Adam Smithee said:

(Apologies for any weird images in my post. I was online with Microsoft support building a PC at the same time as posting this, and the screenshot I was trying to send to MS  about "office 19 activation" apparently somehow got embedded here. )

"imagined things they haven’t done"???

I've been doing corporate meetings via Cisco WebEx (similar to Zoom) since late March. Let's just say, I've seen things that I didn't really need to see. Talking with a plastics exec and the wife walks in stark nekkid. Yeah, okay, nice tits (But are they real?)  and.... ALL I CAN SAY IS... just be CAREFUL when the webcam is on.   

Look, what I’m saying is, we’ve all seen stuff... okay, you mean well, I’ll drop it, but I’m just saying we aren’t all naive either... 

• Agree (+1) 1

Ticked@TinselTown

THIS certainly explains the teacher's unions getting all up in arms about NOT wanting kids back in seats at school and instead want to do virtual classes!

They want to be able to spy on kids in their homes to see what they can find out and report to the authorities.

Gestapo Tactics for $2000, Alex...

• Agree (+1) 3

Oathtaker

This happened in the spring near where I live.

The lazy school board has decided to do virtual school this fall. 

You can have virtual backgrounds in Zoom just like the other video apps.

I’m thinking about using Trump 2020 signs as a privacy backdrop for my kid. Figuring that’ll piss the critical clowns off immensely. 

• Haha (+1) 2
  • Agree (+1) 1

Tikk

But it was an assault BB gun, which makes it more dangerous.

And he'll shoot his eye out!

Taggart Transcontinental
5 hours ago, pepperonikkid said:

By Eric Utter

August 22, 2020

Article:

Full Story

This would have been handled by 10-21 (phone call) and I would have explained to the idiot fascist that this is the private property of the parents and as long as there are no threats of violence involved then it's none of their idiotic business. Status 13, back 10-8 (no action taken, available for calls.) These moron's are the danger to our society, not "violent" children.

Taggart Transcontinental
4 hours ago, Dean Adam Smithee said:

image.png

Your fascism is showing. Teachers and principals are not judges, they may have plain view capabilities like law enforcement, but this is overboard. Depending on the state children are allowed to own rifles. This is nothing more than a threat to the liberty of individuals in this nation. Nothing more. You have a right to privacy in your home,

Dean Adam Smithee
20 hours ago, zurg said:

Look, what I’m saying is, we’ve all seen stuff... okay, you mean well, I’ll drop it, but I’m just saying we aren’t all naive either... 

Yeah, I get what you're saying. And of course we aren't all Naive.

However, it's a whole new paradigm out there with this COVID-19 thing. How many families now have a webcam in their house that never did before and thus never have never had to fully think through the implications?

Even without anyone here being "naive", how many just aren't tech-savvy enough to understand that webcams can be on even when it's not obvious? And/or aren't legal-savvy enough to have  ever thought about teachers being mandatory reporters or what "plain view" is all about? And ESPECIALLY have never thought through the full potential ramifications of a mandatory reporter having plain view of the inside of your house?

And this is without EVEN considering that this story is about a 5th grader having a computer with a webcam... in his bedroom. I'm sure none of us here are so naive as to not understand why maybe that's not such a good idea once you start thinking about it. But how many people never think this stuff through UNTIL it becomes an issue?

Severian
20 hours ago, Oathtaker said:

I’m thinking about using Trump 2020 signs as a privacy backdrop for my kid. Figuring that’ll piss the critical clowns off immensely. 

Use the image of Big Brother from the movie 1984.

• Agree (+1) 1

BootsieBets
On 8/22/2020 at 4:00 PM, Oathtaker said:

Yea, how about using a huge American flag?  Or the Declaration of Independence?  Or pictures of the Founding Fathers?  I can think of several interesting backgrounds that might be used. 

I can understand if a teacher sees something illegal, like drugs or mom in the background beating little brother.  A BB gun isn’t illegal, except in the feverish mind of leftist teachers.

BootsieBets
On 8/22/2020 at 2:42 PM, Ticked@TinselTown said:

THIS certainly explains the teacher's unions getting all up in arms about NOT wanting kids back in seats at school and instead want to do virtual classes!

They want to be able to spy on kids in their homes to see what they can find out and report to the authorities.

Gestapo Tactics for $2000, Alex...

Actually, there were teachers who didn't want parents being able to see what was being taught to the kids via the virtual classes.  They were afraid that the full extent of their indoctrination would be discovered.

Severian
17 minutes ago, BootsieBets said:

I can think of several interesting backgrounds that might be used. 

Perhaps a scene from "Gone With The Wind" would be appropriate. Personally I'd go with Debbie Does Dallas.

Ticked@TinselTown
2 hours ago, BootsieBets said:

Actually, there were teachers who didn't want parents being able to see what was being taught to the kids via the virtual classes.  They were afraid that the full extent of their indoctrination would be discovered.

Yeah, I remember that, THEY want cover for what they do and while they do it, they want to spy on the kids and their families to get the parents they don't approve of away from the kids so they have wider berth to indoctrinate them without interference.

BootsieBets
2 hours ago, Ticked@TinselTown said:

Yeah, I remember that, THEY want cover for what they do and while they do it, they want to spy on the kids and their families to get the parents they don't approve of away from the kids so they have wider berth to indoctrinate them without interference.

Yep!