To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
That_Guy

17-year-old in custody, accused of shooting 3 people, killing 2 during Kenosha protest

Rate this topic

That_Guy

17-year-old in custody, accused of shooting 3 people, killing 2 during Kenosha protest

Cellphone video of at least two of the shootings that was posted online shows a young man with a rifle jogging down the middle of a street.

By Mike Householder and Scott Bauer

KENOSHA, Wisconsin -- A 17-year-old suspect is in custody in Illinois after a shooting during protests in Kenosha, Wisconsin, left two people dead and one injured.

The suspect identified as Kyle Rittenhouse, is being held at a juvenile facility in Illinois. He is expected to be charged with first-degree intentional homicide, but the official complaint (which would contain the charge) has not been released yet.

Rittenhouse has been assigned a public defender and will make his first court appearance Friday.

The shooting he is accused of erupted late Tuesday, just before midnight, during the third straight night of unrest in Kenosha over the police shooting of a Black man, Jacob Blake.

Three people in total were shot--two died. Sheriff David Beth said one victim was shot in the head and the other in the chest, the Milwaukee Journal Sentine l reported. A third person was also shot, but the wounds were not believed to life-threatening.

<snip>

The sheriff told the Journal Sentinel that armed people had been patrolling the city's streets in recent nights, but he did not know if the gunman was among them.

"They're a militia," Beth said. "They're like a vigilante group."

The FBI said it is assisting in the case.

Wisconsin Lt. Gov. Mandela Barnes, who is Black, said in an interview with the news program "Democracy Now!" that the shootings were not surprising and that white militias have been ignored for too long.

"How many times across this country do you see armed gunmen, protesting, walking into state Capitols, and everybody just thinks it's OK?" Barnes said. "People treat that like it's some kind of normal activity that people are walking around with assault rifles."

Cellphone video of at least two of the shootings that was posted online shows a young man with a rifle jogging down the middle of a street as a crowd and some police officers follow him. Someone in the crowd can be heard asking, "What did he do?" and another person responds that the man had shot someone.

<snip>

In the cellphone footage, as the crowd scatters, the gunman stands up and continues walking down the street as police cars arrive. The man puts up his hands and walks toward the squad cars, with someone in the crowd yelling at police that the man had just shot someone, but several of the cars drive past him toward the people who had been shot.

Protester Devin Scott told the Chicago Tribune that he witnessed one of the shootings.

"We were all chanting 'Black lives matter' at the gas station and then we heard, boom, boom, and I told my friend, 'That's not fireworks,'" said Scott, 19. "And then this guy with this huge gun runs by us in the middle of the street and people are yelling, 'He shot someone! He shot someone!' And everyone is trying to fight the guy, chasing him and then he started shooting again."

Scott said he cradled a lifeless victim in his arms, and a woman started performing CPR, but "I don't think he made it."

In other widely circulating video, police can be heard thanking and tossing bottled water from an armored vehicle to what appear to be armed civilians walking the streets.

"We appreciate you being here," an officer is heard saying over a loudspeaker.

<snip>

Before the two deadly shootings, the Kenosha County Board sent a letter Tuesday to Democratic Gov. Tony Evers requesting that at least 2,000 more National Guard troops be sent. Evers initially dispatched 150 troops on Monday and increased that to 250 on Tuesday. On Wednesday, the board sent a second request, for 1,500 troops.

"Our county is under attack. Our businesses are under attack. Our homes are under attack. Our local law enforcement agencies need additional support to help bring civility back to our community," board leaders wrote.

Evers did not immediately respond to a request for comment Wednesday.

Republican Sen. Ron Johnson and GOP Rep. Bryan Steil, whose district includes Kenosha, said Evers should accept federal troops from President Donald Trump.

Anger over the shooting has spilled into the streets of other cities, including Los Angeles and Minneapolis, the epicenter of the Black Lives Matter movement this summer following Floyd's death.

LINK

• Disagree (-1) 4

Natural Selection

Were the people who were shot rioters?

If so, good.

From what I've seen it appears to be a case of self-defense.

• Agree (+1) 3

Ticked@TinselTown

Wisconsin Lt. Gov. Mandela Barnes, who is Black, said in an interview with the news program "Democracy Now!" that the shootings were not surprising and that white militias have been ignored for too long.

"How many times across this country do you see armed gunmen, protesting, walking into state Capitols, and everybody just thinks it's OK?" Barnes said. "People treat that like it's some kind of normal activity that people are walking around with assault rifles."

You mean on the news when we watch the BLMM and Antifa rioters running rabid in the streets or 'policing' themselves in the CHAZ?

I've lost count, Mangled Brains, but I would venture to guess that people of all color are roundly SICK and TIRED of terrorists running loose in the streets without cease because people like YOU prevent any form of law enforcement to act to return calm to the streets.

• Agree (+1) 1

Ladybird

I don't know what kind of gun he has, but it appears to be a rifle. I don't believe 17 year olds are legally permitted to carry weapons, even if it's a hunting rifle, when he's not engaged in hunting activities.

• Disagree (-1) 6

Dutch13

In the case of the last two, I think that he was clearly acting in self defense.  One guy tries to stomp him and doesn't get shot.  One guy attacks him with a weapon and gets shot.  One guy comes at him with a pistol in his hand and gets shot.  

In the first shooting, I haven't seen the incident because the video was too far away.  

My questions are how he got there and where he got his weapon from.  My comments are that he needs to join the military when this is over.   He had amazing composure and control for a 17 year old. 

• Agree (+1) 3

Dutch13
4 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

I don't know what kind of gun he has, but it appears to be a rifle. I don't believe 17 year olds are legally permitted to carry weapons, even if it's a hunting rifle, when he's not engaged in hunting activities.

Now that we have seen skateboards used countless times this summer as weapons, I hope to see this rule enforced.   Kids can't have weapons.

• Agree (+1) 3

oki
7 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

That's not exactly correct.   'Legally' a minor cannot own long gun.  BUT, it's very very common for people under 18 to handle firearms both outside the home for hunting, target shooting, transportation, and so on.  IF, this was a case where he exited a home or business where their was a legal adult/owner of the firearm and acted in self defense or can otherwise prove he was acting in self defense or defense of someone else, then he has a legit case.  If he simply grabbed the rifle and was walking around, then that's another story.

As far as age goes, 18 to buy long guns(shot guns rifles)  and accompanying ammo(which is B.S. as many rifles shoot hand gun ammo anyways).

21 for pistols and to obtain a  Conceal Carry Permit.

Wisconsin does have open carry.

• Agree (+1) 2

Ladybird
1 minute ago, oki said:

That's not exactly correct.   'Legally' a minor cannot own long gun.  BUT, it's very very common for people under 18 to handle firearms both outside the home for hunting, target shooting, transportation, and so on.  IF, this was a case where he exited a home or business where their was a legal adult/owner of the firearm and acted in self defense or can otherwise prove he was acting in self defense or defense of someone else, then he has a legit case.  If he simply grabbed the rifle and was walking around, then that's another story.

As far as age goes, 18 to buy long guns(shot guns rifles)  and accompanying ammo(which is B.S. as many rifles shoot hand gun ammo anyways).

21 for pistols and to obtain a  Conceal Carry Permit.

Wisconsin does have open carry.

For minors too?

• Disagree (-1) 3

oki

Although the youngin' may have broken the law by being a minor in possession of a firearm and out the streets.  BUT, at the same time he was freaken' being chased by a mob.  Also speaks volumes to the mentality of these P.O.S., then again since many are not from the area, Cops haven't done much and neither has city leadership I guess they thought the people of Kenosha wouldn't fight back.  Guess what?  Kenosha isn't Milwaukee, it isn't Minneapolis, or Chicago either. 

• Agree (+1) 4

Specs

Too bad he did not kill a few more democRATs that were rioting. The kid should get a medal for taking care of the problem that the democRAT leaders in the state refuse to do.

• Agree (+1) 1

Ticked@TinselTown
7 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

For minors too?

Minors can't defend themselves or others?

• Disagree (-1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 2

oki
5 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

For minors too?

We don't now where this began.  Judging from the video it is a possibility he was at home and felt unsafe there and was trying to leave.  OR... the freaken' Mob was threatening his home.  Either way, at the time he opened fire it was self defense.  Notice how he was RUNNING FROM THE CROWD, as in being chased, it was when he tripped, was swarmed, and what looks like people trying to grab the rifle that he fired a couple rounds.  There is also the possibility he was in the company of an adult when this started, if that is in fact the case then yes, (although a grey area) a minor can technically open carry.  You see this all the time in rural parts of the state, especially during Deer, Goose/Geese, and Turkey Seasons.  A minor legally handling or possessing a firearm is by in large based on if there is an adult close enough to provide supervision and responsibility.  If he cannot prove that there was a valid threat for him to have left the safety of where he was with that firearm he is toast.  If he can say they where all around my home, I was terrified so I grabbed a rifle and was trying to run to safety then he may have case. 

• Agree (+1) 1

Dutch13
1 minute ago, Ticked@TinselTown said:

Minors can't defend themselves or others?

I am shocked beyond belief that he is 17.  Besides the way he handled himself and his weapon, he was interviewed before this happened and he had command of the area.  He dismissed the person interviewing him because he needed to handle something else.

• Agree (+1) 1

Noclevermoniker
14 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

For minors too?

You really don’t get out much, do you. Except to riot, I mean. 

• Haha (+1) 3

Natural Selection
35 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

Probably a misdemeanor.

Severian
30 minutes ago, Dutch13 said:

Now that we have seen skateboards used countless times this summer as weapons, I hope to see this rule enforced.   Kids can't have weapons.

Note that the guy he shot in the chest had a skateboard, the Antifa preferred weapon to beat people to death with. Unprovoked my ass, they swarmed in to attack and got what they deserved, put down like rabid dogs.

• Agree (+1) 3

That_Guy

• Disagree (-1) 2

Ladybird
5 minutes ago, That_Guy said:

Of course. He's one of them and a swell guy..

• Disagree (-1) 3

NH Populist
Posted (edited)

Are you two really this disconnected from reality?  The instigator in this situation wasn't the kid, lots of rioters were also armed!

Edited by NH Populist
Because
  • Best Post (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

ThePatriot

He was being attacked and defended himself.

Don't want to get shot?

Don't attack people.

Simple.

• Best Post (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

Coach

It's been three months since the mob started this war, longer if you include the attacks on Any Gno in Portland last year. 

In any case once the mob went feral they became life threatening. The VAST  majority of American patriots have been long suffering and incredibly patient. 

Good for this young man. 

• Agree (+1) 2

Ladybird
Just now, ThePatriot said:

He was being attacked and defended himself.

Don't want to get shot?

Don't attack people.

Simple.

As I'm so often reminded, we haven't gotten the full story. Is the reason he was being chased was because of a prior shooting? What were those circumstances?

• Disagree (-1) 4

Martin

He was being chased by a mob.  That is not a protest, that is a riot.  

• Agree (+1) 2

zurg
17 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

One of whom? Also, this is what you know: 1) he's white, 2) he defended himself, 3) he had a gun while defending himself.

Is it #1 that bothers you so much?