To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
pepperonikkid

University Of Virginia Researcher Charged After Trying To Board Flight To China While Allegedly In Possession Of Stolen Research

Rate this topic

pepperonikkid

University Of Virginia Researcher Charged After Trying To Board Flight To China While Allegedly In Possession Of Stolen Research

https://dailycaller.com/

Marlo Safi

August 28, 2020

Article:

A researcher at the University of Virginia who was arrested while trying to board a plane to China with allegedly stolen research has been charged with federal crimes, including theft of trade secrets, the Justice Department announced Friday.

Haizhou Hu, 34, a Chinese national, roused the suspicions of authorities after a routine screening at Chicago’s O’Hare Airport Aug. 25 as he was trying to board a flight to China. “The screening revealed Hu was alleged to be in possession of bio-inspired research simulation software code that he was not authorized to possess,” the statement said.

Hu was charged with accessing a computer without authorization or exceeding authorization to obtain information from a protected computer and theft of trade secrets. He was conducting research in bio-mimics and fluid dynamics at the university.

Numerous researchers and professors at American universities have been arrested in 2019 and 2020 as the Justice Department cracks down on Beijing’s influence on college campuses, often on charges related to lying about ties with the Chinese government.

Full Story

Natural Selection

Most of China was built with stolen technology. Communism does not provide an incentive to innovate so their only option is theft.

Oathtaker

How about a blanket ban on Chinese nationals working or studying in this country until we can get a handle on who they actually work for?

Just Chinese, not all Asians so spare me with the Xeno/Bigo/White Supremo BS... XBWS?

Dean Adam Smithee
19 minutes ago, Oathtaker said:

How about a blanket ban on Chinese nationals working or studying in this country until we can get a handle on who they actually work for?

Just Chinese, not all Asians so spare me with the Xeno/Bigo/White Supremo BS... XBWS?

There already is a sort-of ban on Chinese (and/or other nationals) having access to certain classified documents. It's called a "NOFORN" marking (No Foreign Access) in addition to whatever other classification level, and I can't even count how many times I've seen this marking both way back in my Navy crypto days or even more recently as a DoE contractor...

... all of which means absolutely zilch if someone is willing to do what it takes to STEAL the material and/or persuade someone else to STEAL it so they can pass it on.

663AA6E1-4569-495F-83EF-CCC6788203D0__92

It's sort of like various gun laws; they deter the honest persons not the criminals.

Oathtaker
51 minutes ago, Dean Adam Smithee said:

There already is a sort-of ban on Chinese (and/or other nationals) having access to certain classified documents. It's called a "NOFORN" marking (No Foreign Access) in addition to whatever other classification level, and I can't even count how many times I've seen this marking both way back in my Navy crypto days or even more recently as a DoE contractor...

... all of which means absolutely zilch if someone is willing to do what it takes to STEAL the material and/or persuade someone else to STEAL it so they can pass it on.

663AA6E1-4569-495F-83EF-CCC6788203D0__92

It's sort of like various gun laws; they deter the honest persons not the criminals.

So more or less the old “locks are for honest people” routine. 

How about a public flogging then literally a “slow boat to China” instead? Or “thanks but no thanks” hang out in your own country.

Holland25
21 hours ago, Oathtaker said:

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. This is out of control. The world needs to wake up and realize China is the enemy and China has been at war for sometime. This people who think there is a peace have no idea of the danger.

zurg
9 hours ago, Holland25 said:

Sounds perfectly reasonable to me. This is out of control. The world needs to wake up and realize China is the enemy and China has been at war for sometime. This people who think there is a peace have no idea of the danger.

China is also the enabler of North Korea. NK won't lose their nukes unless China decides that it's worth it. Which they probably won't.

We should do the same. Tell Jamaica they need to elect a bat-shlt-crazy looking dude and start threatening Venezuela and Cuba with their miraculously developed new nukes. Let's see what the commies think then.

Severian
13 hours ago, zurg said:

China is also the enabler of North Korea. NK won't lose their nukes unless China decides that it's worth it. Which they probably won't.

We should do the same. Tell Jamaica they need to elect a bat-shlt-crazy looking dude and start threatening Venezuela and Cuba with their miraculously developed new nukes. Let's see what the commies think then.

Better yet, give some nukes to Taiwan.

zurg
Just now, Severian said:

Better yet, give some nukes to Taiwan.

I thought about that too.... (but chose a base closer to home, like NK is to China). 

Severian
3 hours ago, zurg said:

I thought about that too.... (but chose a base closer to home, like NK is to China). 

Well, India already has theirs. How about Tibet?

• Agree (+1) 1

zurg
15 minutes ago, Severian said:

Well, India already has theirs. How about Tibet?

Takes care of China, Pakistan and Iran all in one fell swoop.