Sign in to follow this  
Ladybird

How a handcuffed Black man suffocated as Rochester police restrained him

Rate this topic

Ladybird

Steve Orr

Rochester Democrat and Chronicle

A Black man died of asphyxiation earlier this year after Rochester police officers trying to take him into protective custody pinned him to the ground while restraining him.

The incident occurred in March — two months before George Floyd's very similar death in Minneapolis touched off nationwide protests — yet it didn't become public until now.

The curtain was lifted on the death of 41-year-old Daniel T. Prude at a late-morning news conference Wednesday at which Prude's family and local activists called his death a murder and demanded that the officers involved be fired and charged in his homicide.

"We are in need of accountability for the wrongful death and murder of Daniel Prude. He was treated inhumanely and without dignity," said Ashley Gantt, a community organizer from Free the People Roc and the New York Civil Liberties Union. "These officers killed someone and are still patrolling in our community."

The case also brought calls from activists for changes to policing, including an end to the practice of having police officers respond to mental health calls.

Gantt said what happened to Prude was not an isolated event.

"The Rochester Police Department has shown time and again that they are not trained to deal with mental health crises," Gantt said. "These officers are trained to kill and not to de-escalate. Daniel's case is the epitome of what is wrong with this system and today we stand firmly seeking justice for Daniel and his family, and for all the victims who have been murdered and terrorized by the Rochester Police Department."

Prude's death on March 30 parallels numerous others locally and nationally in which people who are mentally or emotionally stressed, many of them people of color, have been killed when officers forcefully restrained them.

Monroe County Medical Examiner Dr. Nadia Granger ruled Prude’s death a homicide caused by “complications of asphyxia in the setting of physical restraint,” according to the autopsy report.

<snip>

Link

This is my neck of the woods, for the "why post this?" inquirers.  So far everything is peaceful, but..

Edited by Ladybird
  • Disagree (-1) 4

satellite66
19 minutes ago, Taggart Transcontinental said:

You and yours can have the mental health calls. We used to have big men in white coats that would take insane people away, the problem? You leftists closed all those places because it was inhumane. Now you want them back. The problem with the insane is they don't act rational. Until you have dealt with pure crazy, you won't understand. There is a white kid here (19 now) who is as strong as an ox, and when he decides to fight it will take 10 people to get him under control. That's the problem, others that are children throw fits in schools and it takes 2-3 adults to restrain them. Good luck with it. I would be happy pushing those calls to someone else.

Oh and by the way, these moron's keep throwing around the term murder like these officers intended to kill that person. That is what a murder is. INTENTIONAL KILLING, you know like going to an abortion clinic and killing a child. Murder. Trying to restrain someone and having them have a heart attack or asphyxiate while they are battling you isn't murder.

Absolutely on point.  If you've never danced with someone crazy strong you can't understand.  Crazy folks are primal.  They fight and will try and hurt you unlike police who only want to subdue with as little force as needed.  I know this goes against the media and left narrative but it is a fact of life.  

• Agree (+1) 3

LeansToTheRight
59 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

Steve Orr

A Black man died of asphyxiation earlier this year after Rochester police officers trying to take him into protective custody pinned him to the ground while restraining him.

The incident occurred in March — two months before George Floyd's very similar death in Minneapolis touched off nationwide protests — yet it didn't become public until now.

The curtain was lifted on the death of 41-year-old Daniel T. Prude at a late-morning news conference Wednesday at which Prude's family and local activists called his death a murder and demanded that the officers involved be fired and charged in his homicide.

"We are in need of accountability for the wrongful death and murder of Daniel Prude. He was treated inhumanely and without dignity," said Ashley Gantt, a community organizer from Free the People Roc and the New York Civil Liberties Union. "These officers killed someone and are still patrolling in our community."

The case also brought calls from activists for changes to policing, including an end to the practice of having police officers respond to mental health calls.

"The Rochester Police Department has shown time and again that they are not trained to deal with mental health crises," Gantt said. "These officers are trained to kill and not to de-escalate. Daniel's case is the epitome of what is wrong with this system and today we stand firmly seeking justice for Daniel and his family, and for all the victims who have been murdered and terrorized by the Rochester Police Department."

Prude's death on March 30 parallels numerous others locally and nationally in which people who are mentally or emotionally stressed, many of them people of color, have been killed when officers forcefully restrained them.

Monroe County Medical Examiner Dr. Nadia Granger ruled Prude’s death a homicide caused by “complications of asphyxia in the setting of physical restraint,” according to the autopsy report.

<snip>

Link

This is my neck of the woods, for the "why post this?" inquirers.  So far everything is peaceful, but..

I blame inherent racism from the governor on down, including all local inhabitants for allowing said racism to fester in their neck of the woods.

• Best Post (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

Dean Adam Smithee
34 minutes ago, Taggart Transcontinental said:

You and yours can have the mental health calls. We used to have big men in white coats that would take insane people away, the problem? You leftists closed all those places because it was inhumane. Now you want them back. The problem with the insane is they don't act rational. Until you have dealt with pure crazy, you won't understand. There is a white kid here (19 now) who is as strong as an ox, and when he decides to fight it will take 10 people to get him under control. That's the problem, others that are children throw fits in schools and it takes 2-3 adults to restrain them. Good luck with it. I would be happy pushing those calls to someone else.

Oh and by the way, these moron's keep throwing around the term murder like these officers intended to kill that person. That is what a murder is. INTENTIONAL KILLING, you know like going to an abortion clinic and killing a child. Murder. Trying to restrain someone and having them have a heart attack or asphyxiate while they are battling you isn't murder.

I'll take a (select) few of those mental health calls. As a QMHP,  YES, that's ALWAYS the problem. As a church  'counselor', I can deal with those who have merely "issues"; dealing with the clinically insane is way beyond my pay grade.

Heck, REAL LIFE: Kyle from Kenosha. 17 YO Shouldn't have been where he was but got "caught up in it". Drop the Murder charges in favor of "diversion" (well, probably not technically possible on THAT level of offense) but just sayin'. This kid wasn't "crazy", just has "issues", and NO 17-YO should ever have been put in that position.

Ticked@TinselTown

When bigoted racists go for the daily double...

• Agree (+1) 1

ASE
7 hours ago, Taggart Transcontinental said:

Seems like those that want to do away with the 'nice young men, in the clean white coats' (that are coming to take you away), and later want them to come back - may be somewhat irrational themselves.  

My Grandmother was a night supervisor RN at a mental hospital, and she told me that even a small person who is unstable can have an adrenaline rush that makes them a virtual 'superman' for a brief time.  Those folks can be extremely hard to handle. 

Also, in schools, those with mental issues should not be in with the rest of the students, but then their d@mn idiot parents want to sue because they claim their kid is not being treated fairly or just like the other kids.  NEWSFLASH - your kid is not like the other kids, and the other kids have a right to be safe that trumps your right to be 'treated-just-like-everyone-else'.  It is not reasonable (actually rather nut-case-like) to expect your kid to be treated like the other kids, when you kid is NOT LIKE THE OTHER KIDS you friggin selfish morons!!! Perhaps some parents have problems with accepting the reality of their situation when kids are somewhat 'challenged' in one way or another?

Edited by ASE
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

Taggart Transcontinental
2 hours ago, satellite66 said:

Absolutely on point.  If you've never danced with someone crazy strong you can't understand.  Crazy folks are primal.  They fight and will try and hurt you unlike police who only want to subdue with as little force as needed.  I know this goes against the media and left narrative but it is a fact of life.  

Crap guys on Synthetic MJ are insane strong. Took 4 of us to drag that clown off the bus when he started acting nuts. He didn't like the taser though. And of course it was another idiot white guy tossing around the N word like he was a crip in the hood.

gravelrash
2 minutes ago, Taggart Transcontinental said:

Crap guys on Synthetic MJ are insane strong. Took 4 of us to drag that clown off the bus when he started acting nuts. He didn't like the taser though. And of course it was another idiot white guy tossing around the N word like he was a crip in the hood.

Sure that wasn't Quentin Tarantino delivering an acceptance speech at the Oscars?

• Haha (+1) 1

Taggart Transcontinental
Just now, gravelrash said:

Sure that wasn't Quentin Tarantino delivering an acceptance speech at the Oscars?

Yeah but just barely, this guy had a CDL so apparently he worked for a living at one point before he got into drugs.

kestrel
2 hours ago, Dean Adam Smithee said:

I'll take a (select) few of those mental health calls. As a QMHP,  YES, that's ALWAYS the problem. As a church  'counselor', I can deal with those who have merely "issues"; dealing with the clinically insane is way beyond my pay grade.

Heck, REAL LIFE: Kyle from Kenosha. 17 YO Shouldn't have been where he was but got "caught up in it". Drop the Murder charges in favor of "diversion" (well, probably not technically possible on THAT level of offense) but just sayin'. This kid wasn't "crazy", just has "issues", and NO 17-YO should ever have been put in that position.

and what part of your vast experience as a QMHP  (full time?) would qualify you to render judgement of Kyle Rittenhouse's mental state? and if he has "Issues" and just a little hint here Doc, there are a lot of 17 yr olds that were put in that position (self defense) it's called the military..I was once a 17yr old in some certain "positions" that IMO sure thought I shouldn't "be there" (would 395 days in that place qualify as a part or full time K-9 handler?)..You dude have done it all EMT-QMHP-BAR FIGHTING STRIPPER HERDING QUAKER COUNSELOR...Maybe its just me and the fact that I don't have any professional titles (full or part time) but I think the kid showed a lot of balls..and restraint. As to his mental issues...no clue...but yours?...in the immortal words of Robert Zimmerman.."You don't need weatherman to know which way the wind blows" But I got to hand it to you... If you really did what you claim you did with regard to a certain individual Member of Parliament on here good on ya!

Kestrel...

Edited by kestrel
  • Agree (+1) 3

Howsithangin

Strung out on drugs (this one PCP) and wrestling with the police.  He spat at officers and said he had Corona.

It's the same story again and again.

Perhaps of these people didn't do drugs and fight the police?   :shrug:

Edited by Howsithangin
  • Agree (+1) 1

satellite66

If you think you can talk down a hopped up druggie or a EDP off his meds God bless you.  It is not impossible but it is often unlikely to work.   Rational thinking is not top of their list more often than not.  Fight or flight is real for them.  If they can't run guess what happens.  

Every watch teen age kids at a pool.  Inevitably a group of boys decides to throw a cute skinny little girl in the pool against her will for fun.  They are not trying to hurt her in any way just being dumb kids.  That skinny little girl will fight them like a bobcat to avoid it.  She will kick, scratch, punch and bite to get away.  All these kids are friends and probably know each other.  Now imagine trying to coral a 200 pound paranoid psycho who doesn't know you.  

• Like (+1) 1

Ladybird
11 minutes ago, satellite66 said:

If you think you can talk down a hopped up druggie or a EDP off his meds God bless you.  It is not impossible but it is often unlikely to work.   Rational thinking is not top of their list more often than not.  Fight or flight is real for them.  If they can't run guess what happens.  

Every watch teen age kids at a pool.  Inevitably a group of boys decides to throw a cute skinny little girl in the pool against her will for fun.  They are not trying to hurt her in any way just being dumb kids.  That skinny little girl will fight them like a bobcat to avoid it.  She will kick, scratch, punch and bite to get away.  All these kids are friends and probably know each other.  Now imagine trying to coral a 200 pound paranoid psycho who doesn't know you.  

OK. But he was naked, handcuffed, and lying on his stomach, with some kind of restraint over his head.  Do you think this warrants at least a second look?

• Disagree (-1) 1

Martin

From the linked news report:  

The autopsy report listed "acute phencyclidine intoxication" as a complication of his death. The medical examiner did not say whether the levels of PCP in his blood explained Prude's behavior before and during his detention by city police, and did not make any mention of pre-existing mental health issues that might have come into play.  The autopsy report also listed several health conditions — two different lung diseases, heart inflammation and a brain injury — that were complications of his death. 

The report at one point indicated the cause of death was "complications of asphyxia in the setting of physical restraint due to excited delirium due to acute phycyclidine intoxication,” as if one followed on the other.

mjperry51
2 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

OK. But he was naked, handcuffed, and lying on his stomach, with some kind of restraint over his head.  Do you think this warrants at least a second look?

Depends on the FACTS of the matter; I see plenty of unsupported assertions by the family and local "activists" :

Prude's family and local activists called his death a murder and demanded that the officers involved be fired and charged in his homicide.

"These officers are trained to kill and not to de-escalate. Daniel's case is the epitome of what is wrong with this system and today we stand firmly seeking justice for Daniel and his family, and for all the victims who have been murdered and terrorized by the Rochester Police Department."

So is it murder or homicide? Two different things.

These go to points I previously raised elsewhere regarding the objective of these types of statements. They are meant to emotionally inflame, not to uncover facts. They're posturing for revenge, not justice. Notice the assertions are unchallenged by the reporting entity. And I have to question the motives of writing this article about a March incident in September - 6 months after the fact.

grimreefer
14 hours ago, Ladybird said:

Why not throw in the color of their eyes? Maybe a hair color description? Maybe their zodiac signs? Are you sure it's many? Maybe it's just some. Good news though leftists. You've made me a believer in systemic racism. The systemic racism of the media in it's quest to divide us.

F***tards.

:coffeenpc:

• Agree (+1) 1

Specs
1 hour ago, Ladybird said:

No. 

Noclevermoniker
2 hours ago, Ladybird said:

Is there a translation for “don’t resist arrest / fight with the police” that “people of color” might understand better?

Also, “die while in police custody” is about a light year different than “killed/murdered by police”, would you agree?

What was the deceased’s zodiac sign, anyway?  Might go to motive in this case. 

• Haha (+1) 1

oki
2 hours ago, Ladybird said:

Doesn't matter how many or if there are any 2nd looks, it won't stop popular narratives or riots.  Nor does it change the fact that day in and day out Police are tasked to deal with people who are freaken' nuts, have serious health issues(and still do drugs) die from the drugs or health issues while fighting with the cops and yet somehow it's still the cops fault, they where suppose to know just what to do when dealing with someone who refuses to obey commands, behaves like a wild animal, and fights with the strength of ten.  There is an old saying, many a person suddenly became the biggest advocates for Officers or incredibly silent in their criticisms after either doing a ride along or getting to know a couple. 

Severian
2 hours ago, oki said:

Doesn't matter how many or if there are any 2nd looks, it won't stop popular narratives or riots.  Nor does it change the fact that day in and day out Police are tasked to deal with people who are freaken' nuts, have serious health issues(and still do drugs) die from the drugs or health issues while fighting with the cops and yet somehow it's still the cops fault, they where suppose to know just what to do when dealing with someone who refuses to obey commands, behaves like a wild animal, and fights with the strength of ten.  There is an old saying, many a person suddenly became the biggest advocates for Officers or incredibly silent in their criticisms after either doing a ride along or getting to know a couple. 

This. If you look at the autopsy/toxicology results of a fair number of people who managed to die in police custody or while fighting with the cops, given their general health and drug load they had one foot in the grave and the other on a banana peel.

kestrel
9 hours ago, Howsithangin said:

Strung out on drugs (this one PCP) and wrestling with the police.  He spat at officers and said he had Corona.

It's the same story again and again.

Perhaps of these people didn't do drugs and fight the police?   :shrug:

Like this? (Language warning)

Funny..but apt.

K...

Edited by kestrel
  • Best Post (+1) 2
  • Agree (+1) 1

Novaprime
19 hours ago, Ladybird said:

Steve Orr

<snip>

Link

Why is this just coming out now? This happened back in March. I'm thinking that someone is just trying to keep the train moving down the tracks with another police "killing". I'm sorry he died but maybe he contributed to his own death by taking drugs and fighting/spitting on police.

Truthfully there is no maybe to him contributing to his own death. His actions whether drug induced or not lead to his death. Plus his other health problems, possibly caused by drug use, didn't help his cause.

Ticked@TinselTown
9 hours ago, Ladybird said:

No.  It was clearly a COVID death.

• Haha (+1) 2

Moderator T
9 hours ago, Ladybird said:

I haven't seen the video, only a few still images, plus with the way the media has been handling use of force stories lately its hard to trust the initial outrage, so I won't comment on the incident. 

One clarifying point though, the restraint over his head looks like a spit hood to me.  Its made of breathable material designed to keep bad guys from spitting on the police and others.  Departments that use them only do so after the bad guy has started spitting at people (which is considered an assault).