Rate this topic

MTP Reggie

A Supercomputer Analyzed Covid-19 — and an Interesting New Theory Has Emerged
A closer look at the Bradykinin hypothesis
Thomas Smith
Elemental
09/01/2020

<More Here>

Earlier this summer, the Summit supercomputer at Oak Ridge National Lab in Tennessee set about crunching data on more than 40,000 genes from 17,000 genetic samples in an effort to better understand Covid-19. Summit is the second-fastest computer in the world, but the process — which involved analyzing 2.5 billion genetic combinations — still took more than a week.

When Summit was done, researchers analyzed the results. It was, in the words of Dr. Daniel Jacobson, lead researcher and chief scientist for computational systems biology at Oak Ridge, a “eureka moment.” The computer had revealed a new theory about how Covid-19 impacts the body: the bradykinin hypothesis. The hypothesis provides a model that explains many aspects of Covid-19, including some of its most bizarre symptoms. It also suggests 10-plus potential treatments, many of which are already FDA approved. Jacobson’s group published their results in a paper in the journal eLife in early July.

According to the team’s findings, a Covid-19 infection generally begins when the virus enters the body through ACE2 receptors in the nose, (The receptors, which the virus is known to target, are abundant there.) The virus then proceeds through the body, entering cells in other places where ACE2 is also present: the intestines, kidneys, and heart. This likely accounts for at least some of the disease’s cardiac and GI symptoms.

But once Covid-19 has established itself in the body, things start to get really interesting. According to Jacobson’s group, the data Summit analyzed shows that Covid-19 isn’t content to simply infect cells that already express lots of ACE2 receptors. Instead, it actively hijacks the body’s own systems, tricking it into upregulating ACE2 receptors in places where they’re usually expressed at low or medium levels, including the lungs.

In this sense, Covid-19 is like a burglar who slips in your unlocked second-floor window and starts to ransack your house. Once inside, though, they don’t just take your stuff — they also throw open all your doors and windows so their accomplices can rush in and help pillage more efficiently.

The renin–angiotensin system (RAS) controls many aspects of the circulatory system, including the body’s levels of a chemical called bradykinin, which normally helps to regulate blood pressure. According to the team’s analysis, when the virus tweaks the RAS, it causes the body’s mechanisms for regulating bradykinin to go haywire. Bradykinin receptors are resensitized, and the body also stops effectively breaking down bradykinin. (ACE normally degrades bradykinin, but when the virus downregulates it, it can’t do this as effectively.)

The end result, the researchers say, is to release a bradykinin storm — a massive, runaway buildup of bradykinin in the body. According to the bradykinin hypothesis, it’s this storm that is ultimately responsible for many of Covid-19’s deadly effects. Jacobson’s team says in their paper that “the pathology of Covid-19 is likely the result of Bradykinin Storms rather than cytokine storms,” which had been previously identified in Covid-19 patients, but that “the two may be intricately linked.” Other papers had previously identified bradykinin storms as a possible cause of Covid-19’s pathologies.

(snip)

<More Here>

USMCforever60

Again, similar to the "Spanish Flu" without all the media hype and govt (from local to fed level) hysteria! No surprise just saddened by all the virtue signaling of mask wearers. 

• Agree (+1) 1

mjperry51

I referenced this article here -- one wonders how our response might nave been different if someone had thought to initiate this kind of analysis at the start?

:coffeenpc:

• Agree (+1) 1

MTP Reggie
26 minutes ago, MTP Reggie said:

The hypothesis provides a model that explains many aspects of Covid-19, including some of its most bizarre symptoms. It also suggests 10-plus potential treatments, many of which are already FDA approved.

The left whining about using FDA-approved treatments for the new Covid now, in 5.. 4.. 3.. 2..

USMCforever60

My thoughts are we have dumbed down so many generations that logic and critical thinking are that thing of the past. Learning has become only what the leftist/marxist demand our children learn, which is nothing! Media has become 1984 with most of pseudo-journalist wanting to become the next Woodward/Bernstein (do not get me started on those two mental dwarfs) and not investigating into anything, less they find their leftist/marxist continuation is at a risk.

But in the end, it is about only one thing.MONEY!

• Best Post (+1) 1

mjperry51
15 minutes ago, MTP Reggie said:

The left whining about using FDA-approved treatments for the new Covid now, in 5.. 4.. 3.. 2..

This. . .

What really caught my eye was the discussion about how the lungs are actually affected by COVID. Imagine the lives that could have been saved by properly treating the issue and the money that could have been saved by not ramping up for all the "needed" ventilator assets.

mjperry51
5 minutes ago, USMCforever60 said:

My thoughts are we have dumbed down so many generations that logic and critical thinking are that thing of the past. Learning has become only what the leftist/marxist demand our children learn, which is nothing! Media has become 1984 with most of pseudo-journalist wanting to become the next Woodward/Bernstein (do not get me started on those two mental dwarfs) and not investigating into anything, less they find their leftist/marxist continuation is at a risk.

Fauci's significant financial conflict of interest in this matter is staggering. . .

• Agree (+1) 1

BARman29

I hate my mask. I only wear it when I need the goods or services that hide behind it.

• Agree (+1) 3

kestrel
1 hour ago, USMCforever60 said:

its always about the money!...there are several "treatments" for the Bradykinin and Cytokine storms. Hydroxycloroquine and Zinc +Vitamin D for the former and Quercetin with Bromelain W/Vitamin D for the latter (both are cheap hence not widely popular with the medical Establishment). Full Disclosure I'm not a MD nor do I play one on the internet (full time) but I read about these modalities months ago but now it seems you have to go thru many pages at googoo to find them..but they are still there just somewhat buried.

Kestrel...

Edited by kestrel
  • Agree (+1) 1

mjperry51
4 minutes ago, kestrel said:

its always about the money!...there are several "treatments" for the Bradykinin and Cytokine storms. Hydroxycloroquine and Zinc +Vitamin D for the former and Quercetin with Bromelain W/Vitamin D for the latter (both are cheap hence not widely popular with the medical pharmaceutical Establishment). Full Disclosure I'm not a MD nor do I play one on the internet (full time) but I read about these modalities months ago but now it seems you have to go thru many pages a googoo to find them..but they are still there just somewhat buried.

Kestrel...

Kestrel...

Fixed it for you. . .

😃

• Agree (+1) 1

kestrel
16 minutes ago, mjperry51 said:

Fixed it for you. . .

😃

Thanks mj!

Pop Quiz!...Who provides a VERY large percentage of the funding thru add revenue (and training) for the Medical Establishment ie: Lancet, New England Journal of Medicine and JAMA?....?

Kestrel...

mjperry51
1 minute ago, kestrel said:

Thanks mj!

Pop Quiz!...Who provides a VERY large percentage of the funding thru add revenue (and training) for the Medical Establishment ie: Lancet, New England Journal of Medicine and JAMA?....?

Kestrel...

:scratch:

kestrel
1 minute ago, mjperry51 said:

:scratch:

to use your own word's "pharmaceutical Establishment"..one example is a company named Gilead that has a drug (recommended by the infamous Dr Fao-Chi) called Remdisavir whose redeeming qualities are "Shortening Hospital stays by 2-3 days at a cost of $3,300 per course of the drug as opposed to say HCQ and zinc which is about $25.00.

Kestrel...

mjperry51

to use your own word's "pharmaceutical Establishment"..one example is a company named Gilead that has a drug (recommended by the infamous Dr Fao-Chi) called Remdisavir whose redeeming qualities are "Shortening Hospital stays by 2-3 days at a cost of $3,300 per course of the drug as opposed to say HCQ and zinc which is about $25.00.

Kestrel...

I was being coy -- FYI!!

kestrel
Just now, mjperry51 said:

I was being coy -- FYI!!

and doing a hell of a job..We're kinda like a vaudeville act eh?

Kestrel...

mjperry51
Just now, kestrel said:

and doing a hell of a job..We're kinda like a vaudeville act eh?

Kestrel...

Can I be Bob Hope??

"Hello, Special Effects. . ."

kestrel

Can I be Bob Hope??

"Hello, Special Effects. . ."

How about Bing Crosby?..I'll be Danny Kaye!

K...

mjperry51
3 minutes ago, kestrel said:

How about Bing Crosby?..I'll be Danny Kaye!

K...

Well I worked with Rosemary Clooney's brother. . .

kestrel

Well I worked with Rosemary Clooney's brother. . .

The news caster?..really?

K...

Magic Rat
4 minutes ago, kestrel said:

K...

Isn't he George Clooney's father?

kestrel
3 minutes ago, Magic Rat said:

Isn't he George Clooney's father?

maybe?... I'm confused...and not up to speed on who's who in HollyWeird:):):)

Kestrel...

Coach

How do the news hawks at FOX and even ANY of our so called representatives manage to stay so ignorant of information found by people like those of us here ?

Magic Rat

maybe?... I'm confused...and not up to speed on who's who in HollyWeird:):):)

Kestrel...

I think the newscaster is.  I guess I could look it up...  Yeah.  Nick Clooney.  They even look alike.

kestrel
Just now, Magic Rat said:

I think the newscaster is.  I guess I could look it up...  Yeah.  Nick Clooney.  They even look alike.

Wow...I had no idea.:2up:

Kestrel...

mjperry51
30 minutes ago, kestrel said:

K...

Yup. At WKRC in Cincinnati.

Real easy to work with. Knew him when I was a boy as my dad worked with him at WCPO in Cincy.