Jump to content
To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
pepperonikkid

Baylor University interferes with the campus 9/11 memorial

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

pepperonikkid

Baylor University interferes with the campus 9/11 memorial

 

https://www.americanthinker.com/

By Andrea Widburg

September 12, 2020

 

Article:

 

Baylor University is a private Baptist institution located in Waco, Texas. Because it’s Baptist-run, Baylor has always had a strict code of conduct. It’s one of the few completely “dry” campuses in America, for it forbids any alcohol on campus, regardless of a student’s age. This innate conservativism makes it all the more surprising that the Baylor Student Activities office decided that a simple display of flags to memorialize 9/11 needed to have a trigger warning.

The Young Conservatives of Texas chapter at Baylor University has an annual practice of putting up a simple display of flags every September 11th to commemorate those people who died when jihadists launched their attack on America. There are never signs or political statements; there are only the flags.

This year, however, there were signs on the flag display. What upset the Young Conservatives was that the signs came from the Baylor Student Activities office, which decided that the flags required a trigger warning notifying students that, merely by looking at the flags, they were being exposed to sensitive content.

In a press release, the Young Conservatives explained that they had made it clear to the Student Activities office that this was a purely non-partisan activity:

Less than 24 hours before the event, Baylor Student Activities informed us they would need to place “expression activity” signs near the flags. 

Baylor Student Activities placed a sign that read; “Please be advised: sensitive content”. These signs amount to nothing short of a trigger warning for an event that should unite all Americans.

My first thought was that the Student Activities office might be a student-run organization, which would explain its ludicrous and demeaning decision. However, a quick check on the Baylor website revealed that the Student Activities office has a staff of twenty adults who hold paid positions.

No matter how one looks at it, the decision is shameful. If the (ahem) adults in the Student Activities office thought that American flags require a trigger warning, once-conservative Baylor has become as much a cesspool of leftism as any other academic institution in America. To the extent it receives any federal funds, those funds should be withdrawn immediately.

 

 

Full Story

  • Confused 1
  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Timothy

I don't agree with it in either case, but are they doing it because it will "offend" people or because the reminder of death and loss could be upsetting in a sad way?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
LongKnife
14 minutes ago, Timothy said:

I don't agree with it in either case, but are they doing it because it will "offend" people or because the reminder of death and loss could be upsetting in a sad way?

Either of those reasons should be irrelevant. If a person can’t look at a flag without losing their composure, maybe college isn’t the place for that individual.

  • Agree (+1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Timothy
3 minutes ago, LongKnife said:

Either of those reasons should be irrelevant. If a person can’t look at a flag without losing their composure, maybe college isn’t the place for that individual.

I agree that neither reason is a good one or should be relevant.  But I'm willing to forgive the University if it was a matter of sad emotion.  Again, I don't agree with it, and I agree that if someone can't handle that they college isn't the place for them.  If it was about the politics of it, that would be a lot more outrageous.

On a related note, this is something YCT has been doing since at least the late 2000s when I was in school.  YCT invited liberal student groups to help set it up and I personally helped set it up 2 or 3 times.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mjperry51
30 minutes ago, Timothy said:

I don't agree with it in either case, but are they doing it because it will "offend" people or because the reminder of death and loss could be upsetting in a sad way?

Please show me where it's codified (either in the Constitution or law) that people are have the "right" to not be upset.

These "feeling protectors" are doing their students no favors by not allowing them to experience life, which is and will be full of disappointment and "upset". They need to learn to deal with it; they need to learn resilience, how to come back from failure and disappointment. It's a damn good thing these types of people didn't represent the majority of the Greatest Generation -- you'd be speaking German or Japanese now.

Timmy --this is my major issue with you. You can't take a hard position; you almost always straddle the fence. "I don't agree BUT . . ." When you add the BUT it negates everything you said prior to it. And what you say after the BUT in threads such as this usually has to do with someone's feelings getting hurt. You're seemingly preoccupied with always creating a balanced equation. Life doesn't work that way.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Timothy
29 minutes ago, mjperry51 said:

Please show me where it's codified (either in the Constitution or law) that people are have the "right" to not be upset.

These "feeling protectors" are doing their students no favors by not allowing them to experience life, which is and will be full of disappointment and "upset". They need to learn to deal with it; they need to learn resilience, how to come back from failure and disappointment. It's a damn good thing these types of people didn't represent the majority of the Greatest Generation -- you'd be speaking German or Japanese now.

I agree with all of this.

29 minutes ago, mjperry51 said:

Timmy --this is my major issue with you. You can't take a hard position; you almost always straddle the fence. "I don't agree BUT . . ." When you add the BUT it negates everything you said prior to it. And what you say after the BUT in threads such as this usually has to do with someone's feelings getting hurt. You're seemingly preoccupied with always creating a balanced equation. Life doesn't work that way.

I often try to take a balanced position, that is true.  But I disagree that I don't ever take a hard position and I can list plenty of examples of positions I hard positions that I take regularly or semi-regularly on this forum.  Immigration, Trump, conspiracy theories and misinformation (most recently about coronavirus), separation of religion and state, freedom of speech, the Confederacy, etc.

  • Disagree (-1) 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
rustinone
2 hours ago, Timothy said:

I agree with all of this.

I often try to take a balanced position, that is true.  But I disagree that I don't ever take a hard position and I can list plenty of examples of positions I hard positions that I take regularly or semi-regularly on this forum.  Immigration, Trump, conspiracy theories and misinformation (most recently about coronavirus), separation of religion and state, freedom of speech, the Confederacy, etc.

I think you should start a thread and state your position on those examples. I would be interested in them. The why's are what forums should be about. It generally seems you just post the why's from other people's posts. (talking points)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Noclevermoniker
5 hours ago, Timothy said:

I agree that neither reason is a good one or should be relevant.  But I'm willing to forgive the University if it was a matter of sad emotion.  Again, I don't agree with it, and I agree that if someone can't handle that they college isn't the place for them.  If it was about the politics of it, that would be a lot more outrageous.

On a related note, this is something YCT has been doing since at least the late 2000s when I was in school.  YCT invited liberal student groups to help set it up and I personally helped set it up 2 or 3 times.

Most current college students don’t have a memory of 9/11/01. My son, who’s a Junior, was 2 years old. He has no memory of it. I’ll wager few others his age do either.
 

I’m not tagging on you, Tim, but most students aren’t going to feel sad over a silent memorial of something they have no memory of. The staff that posted the warning should have thought of that. If the faculty is triggered, they need to grow up just a little. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ticked@TinselTown

My late grandmother was a nursing school graduate from Baylor, class of 1927.

I know for a fact she would have been on the phone to read them the riot act for doing something so absolutely moronic AND spineless.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

×
×
  • Create New...