To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Shaky McSelfie

19 families buy nearly 97 acres of land in Georgia to create a city safe for Black people

Rate this topic

Shaky McSelfie

19 families buy nearly 97 acres of land in Georgia to create a city safe for Black people

By Pamela Kirkland, CNN

Updated 8:53 AM EDT, Sat September 12, 2020

(CNN)"Welcome to Freedom!" exclaims real estate agent Ashley Scott as she surveys the nearly 97 acres of land that she and a group of 19 Black families purchased in August.

"I'm hoping that it will be a thriving safe haven for people of color, for Black families in particular," Scott says.

The land sits just East of Macon in rural Wilkinson County, Georgia. Scott and her friend, investor and entrepreneur Renee Walters, didn't initially plan on buying a large plot of land, but they had a vision that was clear -- to create a safe space for their Black families.

"Being able to create a community that is thriving, that is safe, that has agriculture and commercial businesses that are supporting one another and that dollars circulating in our community, that is our vision."

A safe space

The unrest that took hold of the country earlier this year after the killings of George Floyd and Breonna Taylor at the hands of police, and closer to home, the shooting death of Ahmaud Arbery while jogging outside Brunswick, Georgia, prompted the women to search for a new community, one they could start themselves.

Land purchased by the Freedom Georgia Initiative in Wilkinson County, Georgia.

"Watching our people protesting in the streets, while it is important, and I want people to stay out in the streets, bringing attention to the injustices of Black people. We needed to create a space and a place where we could be a village, again, a tribe, again," Scott said.

"We wanted to create this safe space where we can address our own issues and concerns."

The two wanted to launch an initiative that would create a new city founded by Black families.

"We both have Black husbands. We both have Black sons. And I was starting to get overwhelmed and have a sense of anxiety when my husband will leave the house to go to work," said Walters. "So, it was like, OK, what can we do? And once I saw the post of Toomsboro going viral, about a town being on sale, I was like, 'Oh, this is perfect.'"

Scott and Walters reached out to family and friends to see who might be interested in joining their effort. Together, they created the Freedom Georgia Initiative to spearhead the purchase. They hope to incorporate the land they bought into a new Black city, called Freedom, Georgia.

Link

If they are smart, they will not let any Democrats in.  Now, let's get to work on building that "pro white" town.  ;)

LongKnife

"I'm hoping that it will be a thriving safe haven for people of color, for Black families in particular," Scott says.

I bet there will systemic racism in that city. Now I feel oppressed. Dang. And I still say white is a color.

• Agree (+1) 1

mjperry51
Just now, LongKnife said:

I bet there will systemic racism in that city. Now I feel oppressed. Dang. And I still say white is a color.

Actually from a color spectrum perspective white is the presence of ALL colors; black is the absence of any color. . . .

• Agree (+1) 1

Shaky McSelfie
1 minute ago, Ticked@TinselTown said:

Uhm... isn't that segregation, do it yourself edition?

Yup, we have come full circle.  But this time, they are fleeing their own violence.  

"We both have Black husbands. We both have Black sons. And I was starting to get overwhelmed and have a sense of anxiety when my husband will leave the house to go to work," said Walters. 

Sounds like they live in Chicago.  ;)

• Agree (+1) 2

LongKnife
3 minutes ago, mjperry51 said:

Actually from a color spectrum perspective white is the presence of ALL colors; black is the absence of any color. . . .

That's racist.

mjperry51
1 minute ago, LongKnife said:

That's racist.

😃

No - that's science. . . .

• Best Post (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

Rock N' Roll Right Winger
10 minutes ago, Shaky McSelfie said:

Yup, we have come full circle.  But this time, they are fleeing their own violence.  

This idea was tried here in my city a few decades ago. Now their neighborhood has as many black on black murders and domestic violence incidents as much as the west end.

I predict that will occur in this one too.

Blacks can do this and it's not considered racism or bigotry but when white people do it's always said to be racism,  bigotry or gentrification . A clear PC double standard.

What a warped world.

Edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger
  • Disagree (-1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

Shaky McSelfie
2 minutes ago, mjperry51 said:

😃

Then science is racist!   Except when it come to climate change and Orangemanbad.  ;)

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 2

2 minutes ago, mjperry51 said:

😃

And that's FACT.

• Disagree (-1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

Jon Wayne

They tried this once,  It was called Apartheid.  It wasn't exactly a big success.  

• Agree (+1) 2

Alexis
26 minutes ago, Shaky McSelfie said:

It seems like THEY are white themselves.  Aren't THEY not going to be allowed to live there?

Dean Adam Smithee

Like there's not already enough all-black or near-all-black communities in Georgia. Or even the USA as a whole.  Can't think of a single one that any sane person would willingly move to if given a choice of being somewhere else.

In GA, Union City (86%), College Park (79%), Riverdale (79%) would top the list. But ask yourself, where in GA is a colored person ALSO most likely to be murdered?

Violent Crime Rate:

Union City: 1224 per 100,000

College Park: 1466 per 100,000

Riverdale: 579 per 100,000

USA Average: 246 per 100,000

GA Average: 327 per 100,000

mjperry51
20 minutes ago, Dean Adam Smithee said:

Like there's not already enough all-black or near-all-black communities in Georgia. Or even the USA as a whole.  Can't think of a single one that any sane person would willingly move to if given a choice of being somewhere else.

In GA, Union City (86%), College Park (79%), Riverdale (79%) would top the list. But ask yourself, where in GA is a colored person ALSO most likely to be murdered?

Violent Crime Rate:

Union City: 1224 per 100,000

College Park: 1466 per 100,000

Riverdale: 579 per 100,000

USA Average: 246 per 100,000

GA Average: 327 per 100,000

Facts -- big deal. . .

</sarcasm>

Junto
56 minutes ago, Natural Selection said:

The biggest danger to black people are other black people.

Was just going to say that statistically speaking they would be best off not allowing any blacks on their 97 acres.

• Agree (+1) 3

Martin

How do you make a city safe for black people?  Same way you make a city safe for white people:  Shun the poor.  

• Agree (+1) 1

52 minutes ago, mjperry51 said:

Facts -- big deal. . .

</sarcasm>

Facts are racist.

• Disagree (-1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

AntiObama

If they would have moved to Nigeria think of how many more acres they could have bought?

A place where people don't have to worry about freedom. Beautiful Nigeria.

1200px-Ibadan_skyline_roof_top.jpg

Severian

I believe Liberia was setup for this exact purpose.

• Agree (+1) 1

Noclevermoniker

I’m old enough to remember blacks fighting against segregation. 

My, my. 

• Agree (+1) 1

Dean Adam Smithee
2 minutes ago, Severian said:

I believe Liberia was setup for this exact purpose.

Capitol city Monrovia, Liberia (Named after US Pres James Monroe):

?m=02&d=20111014&t=2&i=515537088&w=&fh=5

_105702288_slum--area-of-monrovia976.jpg

Photo Credit: BBC.com: Liberia - where no-one dares to tackle President George Weah

BqqOF4TnwTCu0a19-GReRvXWVsaynqx0oXO2AmE1

5yduru0fh5kz.jpg

Photo Credit: Reddit: r/Urban Hell: Monrovia, Liberia. Disease, warlords, and poverty.

Dean Adam Smithee
2 minutes ago, Noclevermoniker said:

I’m old enough to remember blacks fighting against segregation. 

My, my. 

... Until it got to that whole part about being "judged by the content of your character". MLK and Abernathy are probably rolling over in their graves.

• Agree (+1) 2

ThePatriot
2 hours ago, mjperry51 said:

It depends - if we're talking about light, then yes, white is the presence of all color and black is the absence of all color.  If we're talking about pigment, black is the presence of all color and white is the absence of all color.

kestrel

"where in GA is a colored person"

Don't you mean "People of Colored"?

Kestrel X...