Rate this topic

Moderator T

Feehery: A surprising Republican wave election could be looming

JOHN FEEHERY,

The Hill

9/15/20

EXCERPT:

Political waves come unexpectedly.

That is especially the case when it comes to the House of Representatives.

In 1994, nobody expected the House to flip to the Republicans for the first time in 40 years.

The Contract with America was seen as a curiosity, Rep. Newt Gingrich’s (R-Ga.) vanity project. The media roundly lampooned it. And then November rolled around and history was made.

In September 2006, George Bush wasn’t that popular, the Iraq War wasn’t going that well, but most pundits and most Republicans thought the House would hold. Then the Rep. Mark Foley (R-Fla.) scandal consumed Washington, and Nancy Pelosi was swept in as history’s first female Speaker of the House.

In September 2010, after the Tea Party summer, the smart set still didn’t see how the future would unfold. I remember seeing an analysis from an investment bank which confidently predicted that the House would stay in Democratic hands. Oops.

The election of 2018, perhaps, was more predictable. The Democrats raised unprecedented gobs of money and mounted unprecedented opposition to the unpredictable presidency of Donald J. Trump. But that new House majority was built on an unsteady foundation of districts that were initially captured by Trump two years before.

Most analysts now believe that Trump will lose his bid for reelection and Pelosi will stay on as Speaker.

But I wonder if that is true.

(Full Story)

Taggart Transcontinental

If you believe the media, Trump is going to lose. If you believe your eyes, show up and vote. Then we shall see another epic. The night of the long wails, shall once again encompass our nation.

• Agree (+1) 1

NH Populist

4 hours ago, Moderator T said:

Most analysts now believe that Trump will lose his bid for reelection and Pelosi will stay on as Speaker.

With what's at stake in this election, the tsunami of Trump voters waiting for November 3rd highly disagree... :coffeenpc:

• Agree (+1) 1

Coach

I called our Supervisor of Elections yesterday to request our absentee ballots. The lady I talked to could not make a partisan statement but by way of a little code talking she indicated huge Trump support among 80,000 requests for absentee ballots. I live in Yoho's district and his female aide is leading in all polling. 

• Agree (+1) 1