Trump has his unique version of 'here, hold my beer' — and it's a good thing

Rate this topic

pepperonikkid

Trump has his unique version of 'here, hold my beer' — and it's a good thing

https://www.americanthinker.com/

By Andrea Widburg

September 17, 2020

Article:      

Real Coffee with Scott Adams is worth listening to regularly because Adams, like Trump, is an out-of-the-box thinker.  During one of his recent shows, Adams framed Trump uniquely and insightfully.  According to Adams, while Trump may falter on smaller decisions (why, oh why, did he waste time talking to Woodward?), his gift is his ability to do the impossible.  In other words, when everyone says something can't be done, Trump's response is a version of "here, hold my beer" (or, as he's a teetotaler, "hold my soda").  Tell Trump something's impossible, and he goes and makes it possible.

I was not on Team Trump in the beginning.  What changed my mind was having a New York friend tell me, "Trump gets things done that no one else can."  The example she gave me, something about which I was ignorant since I'm not a New Yorker, was Trump and the Wollman Skating Rink.

The rink was a city-owned property that had fallen into disrepair during the 1970s.  By 1980, the city was planning to refurbish, a project it said would take two years.  Six years and $13 million later, the work already done was wrong, and the city announced that it had to start over.  In May 1986, Trump, then 39, told Mayor Ed Koch that if the mayor handed the project to him, Trump would have the rink ready by Christmas for less than $3 million, none of which would be a profit to Trump.

As it happened, Trump did not do what he had promised.  Instead, he did the impossible by hugely exceeding expectations.  Trump finished the job in four months and came in 25% under budget.  According to my friend, New Yorkers understood that if Trump undertook a task, he'd do it, and do it well.  He would achieve the impossible.

Remember how Barack Obama, during the campaign, talked down Trump's promise to bring manufacturing jobs back to the U.S. and improve the economy?  Obama could not have been more snide or dismissive:

"Well, how exactly are you going to do that? What exactly are you going to do? There's no answer to it," Obama said.

"He just says, 'Well, I'm going to negotiate a better deal.' Well, what, how exactly are you going to negotiate that? What magic wand do you have? And usually the answer is, he doesn't have an answer."

Trump said, "Hold my soda," and, until the Democrats took a hacksaw to the economy with their Wuhan virus overreach, Trump waved his magic wand all over the economy.  By July 2019, Forbes was reporting:

In the last 30 months of President Obama's term, manufacturing employment grew by 185,000 or 1.5%. In President Trump's first 30 months, manufacturers added 499,000 jobs, expanding by 4.0%. In the same 30-month time span during the mature, post-recovery phase of the business cycle, some 314,000 more manufacturing jobs were added under Trump than under Obama, a 170% advantage.

We were told that the sluggish economic growth rate that Obama oversaw was the new normal.  Trump said, "Hold my soda," and, by September 2019, before the lockdown tried to end the party, Trump had the economy chugging along at rates unseen in decades: incomes, especially in the lower brackets, increased at 3.4% annually; poverty declined to 11.8%; unemployment dropped to the lowest in decades, with the most significant benefits flowing to minorities and women; and the number of families in the lowest economic bracket dropped by 1%.

Everyone predicted dire outcomes if Trump moved the U.S. embassy to Jerusalem.  Trump said, "Hold my soda," moved the embassy...and that proceeded so well that he also announced that Israel has sovereignty over the Golan Heights.

And everyone said there could be no peace in the Middle East.  After all, if Obama couldn't make that miracle happen (and, instead, oversaw ISIS's rise, an Egyptian fundamentalist revival, the Syrian civil war, and Libya's collapse), then Trump definitely couldn't bring about peace.  Again, Trump said, "Hold my soda" and began getting the Sunni nations, one after another, to normalize relations with Israel.

Full Story

• Agree (+1) 1

firecoco
20 minutes ago, Severian said:

Expect lots more charts and graphs forthwith to "prove" otherwise.

I don't care if Trump is a meanie, insults people, makes snowflakes feel bad, he gets things done that make sense and benefits the US and its citizens.

Absolutely...In my opinion he doesn’t tweet enough and he’s not mean enough

• Haha (+1) 4

zurg

Most commonly heard arguments from some segments on the right against Trump are “I don’t like him”, “he’s an a-hole”, “his personality is just too brash”, etc. 

Nobody, including leftists, can cite specific things done. The left says, “he’s a tyrant”, “he’s ushering in fascism”, “Nazi/Hitler”, “inhuman treatment of illegal immigrants”, “failed covid response”, etc. But actually nothing specific and nothing provable or actionable. 

Edited by zurg
  • Best Post (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

Coach

Merely explains how ignorant and uneducated they are. Add that to their moral degeneracy and you have a Democrat fool. 

• Agree (+1) 2

Joe the Pagan

I would not use the term out-of-the-box thinker to describe Scott Adams.  I believe it was in his book The Dilbert Principle where she said:

People who use the term thinking outside the box are so deep inside the box they can't see the sides of the box.

wrg39

I was not a Trump fan, I  voted against Clinton  in 2016.

There things he does that are hard to understand why he does it.   However, I can not complain about the results he achieves.   And results are  what matters,  not promises or methods. 

• Agree (+1) 1

Ticked@TinselTown

"Well, how exactly are you going to do that? What exactly are you going to do? There's no answer to it," Obama said.

"He just says, 'Well, I'm going to negotiate a better deal.' Well, what, how exactly are you going to negotiate that? What magic wand do you have? And usually the answer is, he doesn't have an answer."

Well, Barry, when one lives in the real world and does real work for a living, they get experience dealing with obstacles and learning how to master the challenge of working around them.  

They don't create pie in the sky notions that have no basis in reality and expect other people to figure out how to make it happen, spend other people's money to the tune of millions upon hundreds of millions, then just shrug and walk away when things get too tough and point the finger of blame at the meanies who wouldn't help.

When COMPETENT ADULTS take on a job, it gets done.

What you do Barry is let other people do the work while you pontificate and preen like the peacock you are, believing in your own press that claims your brilliant omnipotence is the answer to all the world's ills.

In other words, Barry, while you continue to be a legend in your own mind, Donald Trump becomes one in the minds of those who doubted him.

grimreefer
7 hours ago, wrg39 said:

I was not a Trump fan, I  voted against Clinton  in 2016.

Same... even though we've been thoroughly assured here that there's no such thing as voting against someone. :tap: