Ladybird

Israel to revert back to full lockdown as coronavirus cases climb

Rate this topic

Ladybird

Israel to revert back to full lockdown as coronavirus cases climb

By Marina Pitofsky - 09/18/20 07:23 AM EDT

https://thehill.com/

Excerpt:

Israel will return to a full lockdown on Friday in an effort to contain the spread of coronavirus, as the number of cases has continued to increase for months throughout the country.

The three-week lockdown will begin at 2 p.m., closing many businesses and limiting public gatherings. The move comes just hours before the beginning of the Jewish High Holidays when people usually attend religious services and gather with family and friends.

Under the order, people must remain within 1 kilometer, or .6 miles, from their home, except for when shopping for food and medicine, attending protests, and going to work at a closed business, among others.

Israel Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu warned on Thursday that additional measures may be needed to prevent hospitals in the country from being overwhelmed with COVID-19 patients.

“It could be that we will have no choice but to make the directives more stringent,” Netanyahu said, according to The Associated Press. “I will not impose a lockdown on the citizens of Israel for no reason, and I will not hesitate to add further restrictions if it is necessary.”

<snip>

Link

• Disagree (-1) 3
  • Agree (+1) 1

CHANG

Do you live in Israel? Why should this matter to you? 

• Agree (+1) 1

Ladybird
9 minutes ago, CHANG said:

Why shouldn't I? Covid-19 affects us all. Plus we have a member here who lives in Israel. 

Just a minor point.. I put this in the section titled 'World', where many posts about other countries live. Got a problem with those too?

Edited by Ladybird
  • Best Post (+1) 1
  • Disagree (-1) 4

Hieronymous
3 minutes ago, CHANG said:

Locally, they are thinking about tightening up restrictions in San Diego County again because of an outbreak at SDSU.  Sounds like businesses are having none of it, especially since cases are dropping statewide.

Alexis

"...attending protests..."  ?

Hieronymous

1 kilometer?  Travel much farther than that and you are out of Israel anyway...

Currahee!
11 minutes ago, Alexis said:

"...attending protests..."  ?

I found that interesting as well.....protesting what?  BiBi? The comments following the Hill article are interesting as well.....bunch of “catfish “ comments......”all mouth and no head”.....

NH Populist
30 minutes ago, zurg said:

Here’s the thing about viruses. They don’t “die” because they aren’t alive to begin with. They can be deactivated/destroyed with chemicals. Or humans can build up a bodily defense either as a natural response or with the aid of vaccines. Or we can have medicines that help with the fight when we get sick. 

So, when numbers go up, if defenses don’t exist, and we do lockdowns, even if we go to zero cases, when human activity picks up again, the cases will start popping up again, and it’ll be the same over and over. 

Today’s situation is that governments decide how we are allowed to try to get through this period. It is clear that we are divided in our opinions. One side wants to use the fear that some people will die (or their demise is hastened because they have the wrong underlying condition(s)) to force everyone to shut down. This IMHO is wrong. The right thing to do is to do our best to identify people at risk, in general continue to be cautious, but continue to do our jobs, go to schools and keep places open. People are more educated now about what to do. People need to be given a chance to lead their lives. 

Exactly!  We know who's mostly at risk, the elderly with previously existing conditions.   Isolate them, which I'm sure most would agree to, and let everyone else live their lives.  We've permanently lost over 100,000 small businesses in this country already, shutting everything down doesn't work here, Israel or anywhere else...

Source

SARGE
2 hours ago, CHANG said:

She suffers from 'Chicken Little' syndrome.

• Disagree (-1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

Ladybird
19 minutes ago, NH Populist said:

Exactly!  We know who's mostly at risk, the elderly with previously existing conditions.   Isolate them, which I'm sure most would agree to, and let everyone else live their lives.  We've permanently lost over 100,000 small businesses in this country already, shutting everything down doesn't work here, Israel or anywhere else...

Source

You mean people like Herman Cain?

Edited by Ladybird
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Disagree (-1) 1

Oathtaker
8 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

We are still a free country at the moment. People are free to ignore warnings. You just better be able to live with or not in this case, with the consequences. If a person has co-morbidities or is compromised health wise in some manner then perhaps they should use caution just like in Flu season. 

That being said, it is the height of illogical behavior to “house arrest”  an entire nation over some groups having elevated risks. I would further suggest that those who are using their energies and influence to enforce policy aimed at causing widespread economic disaster, to instead focus on how they can safeguard those who actually need safeguarding. That is, in lieu of developing policies that have the effect of a firing squad for the groups at risk such as we witnessed in NY, NJ, MI, and PA. 

• Disagree (-1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

zurg
33 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

A 72-yo medical doctor my family knows in the area just passed away after getting sick, tested positive for covid. I don’t have other details, except he could have retired some years ago, but decided - by his own choice - to keep working because he wasn’t ready to walk away from his patients quite yet. 

Should we blame his medical group, the hospital leaders, the mayor, or the governor for this? Or should we simply accept that he made a choice using his own free will? Should he have been forced to stay away? 

• Disagree (-1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

oki

How ever did we survive the Spanish Flu Pandemic of 1918-1919 MILLIONS KILLED.  Entire families wiped out. 

Even many more millions sickened.  Yes, this stuff can be deadly.  But, truth is if you are otherwise healthy you'll pull through.  Precautions, sure.  But shutting down everything and putting people out of work?  Seriously?  Hasn't the left been telling us for yours that poverty is so bad that it practically is deadly?  Why put even more people into it then?

NH Populist
1 hour ago, Ladybird said:

I'm not sure what your point is, I said people at risk should self isolate, Cain attended a Trump rally at 74 years old and supposedly contracted the virus while there.   Is this your rationale for continuing to ruin peoples' lives while destroying the economy?!   

• Agree (+1) 1

Coach
1 hour ago, Ladybird said:

Mr. Cain made his own choice, it was his right, not yours or any dumb ass politician. 

• Disagree (-1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 4

Magic Rat

Israel is an ally but they don't have guaranteed rights listed in a constitution so they are not a small, Jewish United States.  I find every "shutdown" reprehensible and I morally object Israel taking these measures but it isn't worth MY government to muscle them into stopping this kind of overreach.  Especially since most of our politicians are only too glad to take away our own citizens' civil rights in the name of this exaggerated health scare.

And yeah, I saw "attending protests" as an "accepted" activity.  It's funny how some so-called rights supersede others and our benevolent leaders will allow some rights but "suspend" rights they don't find "essential".  I've said this over and over.  When the government gets away with this, we don't have any rights at all.  

• Best Post (+1) 3
  • Disagree (-1) 1

CHANG
4 hours ago, Ladybird said:

Why shouldn't I? Covid-19 affects us all. Plus we have a member here who lives in Israel. 

Just a minor point.. I put this in the section titled 'World', where many posts about other countries live. Got a problem with those too?

It affects us all. Gotta keep the fear alive.  Right?  I’m sure the member who lives in Israel doesn’t need you to tell him what’s going on outside his front door, nor do I think you posted this as an altruistic gesture. 

And to address your minor point, you posted this in the World section, because you’re... I don’t know, worldly or something.  I’m curious, did you post a positive comment in the thread celebrating Trump’s Israel peace deal or do you only post stories that make Trump and the US look bad? 

We know why you posted this story, it’s transparent and pathetic. 

• Best Post (+1) 1

moocow
27 minutes ago, Magic Rat said:

Israel is an ally but they don't have guaranteed rights listed in a constitution so they are not a small, Jewish United States.  I find every "shutdown" reprehensible and I morally object Israel taking these measures but it isn't worth MY government to muscle them into stopping this kind of overreach.  Especially since most of our politicians are only too glad to take away our own citizens' civil rights in the name of this exaggerated health scare.

And yeah, I saw "attending protests" as an "accepted" activity.  It's funny how some so-called rights supersede others and our benevolent leaders will allow some rights but "suspend" rights they don't find "essential".  I've said this over and over.  When the government gets away with this, we don't have any rights at all.  

Exactly. As soon as our “betters” decided to not just allow, but encourage and join protests/riots while demanding compliance with lockdown/house arrests, the farce that is this pandemic response was revealed. Government and Brownshirt health officials lost ALL credibility. I don’t care if cases rise or fall. The response to this virus has been atrocious and people should hang for it. 

• Best Post (+1) 1

satellite66

Lefties are despicable sub humans getting joy over Herman Cain's demise from the China virus  No concern for the thousands murdered by democrat governor's nursing home debacle or the unborn  

Ladybird
41 minutes ago, CHANG said:

It affects us all. Gotta keep the fear alive.  Right?  I’m sure the member who lives in Israel doesn’t need you to tell him what’s going on outside his front door, nor do I think you posted this as an altruistic gesture. 

And to address your minor point, you posted this in the World section, because you’re... I don’t know, worldly or something.  I’m curious, did you post a positive comment in the thread celebrating Trump’s Israel peace deal or do you only post stories that make Trump and the US look bad? 

We know why you posted this story, it’s transparent and pathetic. 

Jeez the whining never ends. 

• Disagree (-1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

kestrel
2 hours ago, Ladybird said:

How do you know he wasn't out and about doing "Essential" things like protesting white privilege..or maybe the Patriarchy..or even better Climate Change! and when you said "people like Herman Cain?" did you mean "Black People"...or is this some other Racial dog whistle?..What if Herman was getting himself some "Sweet Loot"..and maybe some infected Honky sneezed on the Big Screen he done took...That would be ok right?

kestrel X...

kestrel
10 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

Jeez the whining never ends. 

Says the local chapter of RACE INC

Kestrel X...

• Best Post (+1) 1
  • Disagree (-1) 1

Severian

I don't blame/fault her for posting this in World, it's an interesting data point from Israel and what's happening there I hadn't seen.

• Agree (+1) 2

Magic Rat
4 minutes ago, Severian said:

I don't blame/fault her for posting this in World, it's an interesting data point from Israel and what's happening there I hadn't seen.

Yeah, I don't understand the venom spitted at LB for posting it.  She didn't even comment on the pros or cons.  I'm sure I know her opinion on the shutdowns but she's certainly not alone with them.  Hell, until very recently, many other RN members shared them.  I believe some still do.

• Disagree (-1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 2