LongKnife

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg Dies At 87

Rate this topic

LongKnife

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, Champion Of Gender Equality, Dies At 87

NPR

Nina Totenberg

September 18, 2020

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the demure firebrand who in her 80s became a legal, cultural, and feminist icon has died. The Supreme Court announced her death, saying the cause was complications from cancer.

Architect of the legal fight for women's rights in the 1970s, Ginsburg subsequently served 27 years on the nation's highest court, becoming its most prominent member. Her death will inevitably set in motion what promises to be a nasty and tumultuous political battle over who will succeed her, and it thrusts the Supreme Court vacancy into the spotlight of the presidential campaign.

Just days before her death, as her strength waned, Ginsburg dictated this statement to her granddaughter Clara Spera: "My most fervent wish is that i I will not be replaced until a new president is installed."

She knew what was to come. Ginsburg's death will have profound consequences for the court and the country. Inside the court, not only is the leader of the liberal wing gone, but with the Court about to open a new term, Chief Justice John Roberts no longer holds the controlling vote in closely contested cases.

Though he has a consistently conservative record in most cases, he has split from fellow conservatives in a few important ones, this year casting his vote with liberals, for instance, to at least temporarily protect the so-called Dreamers from deportation by the Trump administration, to uphold a major abortion precedent, and to uphold bans on large church gatherings during the coronavirus pandemic. But with Ginsburg gone, there is no clear court majority for those outcomes.

Story

Hieronymous

RIP.  Dealing with major health issues long term is a tough way to go.

BARman29

This will change the presidential election focus. We need Trump to win. 

• Like (+1) 1

wrg39

While I  disagreed with almost all of her votes on the court, my prayers are for her family.  She had a long and successful life may she rest in peace.

Noclevermoniker

Covid 19 will now leave the headlines. Perhaps permanently. The fight is moved to the Senate. 

• Agree (+1) 3

searcher
1 minute ago, wrg39 said:

While I  disagreed with almost all of her votes on the court, my prayers are for her family.  She had a long and successful life may she rest in peace.

I agree. I didn't care for her decisions but they were hers to make and she lived according to her own lights. I hope he finds peace. Having watched Mr. Jay's fight with cancer I also have to admire her strength for battling it for so long so fiercely.

Mark 

Ticked@TinselTown

Just days before her death, as her strength waned, Ginsburg dictated this statement to her granddaughter Clara Spera: "My most fervent wish is that i I will not be replaced until a new president is installed."

May your venom speed you on your way, Ruth.

• Best Post (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 2

zurg

Eventually, sooner or later, we all die. It’s part of the normal course of life on earth. 

I didn’t know her, I had no affinity to her, so I can’t lie and claim to be sad. I’m neither sad not happy; I’m going to be honest and say, let her rest in peace, but her seat is now open and that’s the important thing to me. 

I will respect her life by not complaining about how she felt no compassion for those of us on the conservative side. That I can do. But this just became the most important election in my lifetime, if it wasn’t one already. 

We can’t let her wish come true that a liberal BLM justice takes her spot. 

Edited by zurg
  • Agree (+1) 2

LongKnife
2 minutes ago, zurg said:

I will respect her life by not complaining about how she felt no compassion for those of us on the conservative side. That I can do. But this just became the most important election in my lifetime, if it wasn’t one already. 

SCOTUS appointments are the holy grail for the Democrats. They will now lower the bar for mud-slinging and just outright lying to be able to put one of their kind in that chair.

• Agree (+1) 4

zurg
7 minutes ago, LongKnife said:

SCOTUS appointments are the holy grail for the Democrats. They will now lower the bar for mud-slinging and just outright lying to be able to put one of their kind in that chair.

Abso-friggin-lutely. 

• Agree (+1) 3

Oathtaker

My condolences to her family.

Taggart Transcontinental

This is one I will be celebrating.

• Best Post (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 3

grimreefer

Fully concur with zurg and others here. Condolences to her family and may she RIP.

Magic Rat

Rest her soul.  I didn’t care for her but I certainly admire her saltiness.  

I am not too sure how the White House and Senate can appoint a nominee after denying Obama when he pulled a similar stunt.  I don’t like hypocrisy.

• Best Post (+1) 1

Specs
3 minutes ago, Magic Rat said:

Rest her soul.  I didn’t care for her but I certainly admire her saltiness.  

I am not too sure how the White House and Senate can appoint a nominee after denying Obama when he pulled a similar stunt.  I don’t like hypocrisy.

The biden rule is when the opposition party controls the senate, then they wait. No hypocrisy by appointing a Justice now as it is not the same.

Time to break out the 1988 Mouton. It is celebrating time for all the babies she helped to kill.

• Agree (+1) 3

USNJIMRET
1 hour ago, LongKnife said:

Sorry dear, but pretty sure we're not going to leave a vacancy until 2024!!

• Agree (+1) 1

Magic Rat
16 minutes ago, Specs said:

The biden rule is when the opposition party controls the senate, then they wait. No hypocrisy by appointing a Justice now as it is not the same.

Time to break out the 1988 Mouton. It is celebrating time for all the babies she helped to kill.

I am aware of the rule.  However, it is considered hypocrisy because of timing before an election.  This is why it is crucial that Biden loses.

i agree with your point about dead babies.  I do think old time lefties have themselves convinced that those aren’t real and I’m getting older and more forgiving.

By the way; why is this in the “Education” forum?

Edited by Magic Rat

Moderator T

Supreme Court Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg dies at 87

Elizabeth Chuck, Alex Johnson and Dareh Gregorian

NBC News

9/18/20

EXCERPT:

Ruth Bader Ginsburg, the Supreme Court justice who was as pioneering as she was brash, died on Friday, the court said. She was 87.

The court said Ginsburg, a lifelong champion of women's rights and a fierce advocate for gender equality, died "surrounded by her family at her home in Washington, D.C., due to complications of metastatic pancreas cancer."

Chief Justice John Roberts said: "Our Nation has lost a jurist of historic stature. We at the Supreme Court have lost a cherished colleague. Today we mourn, but with confidence that future generations will remember Ruth Bader Ginsburg as we knew her — a tireless and resolute champion of justice.”

Despite her diminutive stature, Ginsburg was larger than life, both on and off the bench. Viewed as a feminist icon, she broke countless barriers, never shying away from making contentious comments along the way — with everything from her high court opinions to her octogenarian workout routines, earning her the nickname the "Notorious R.B.G." by her rabid fan base.

Diagnosed with cancer four times, Ginsburg had had numerous health scares, including several recent hospitalizations. Her death will open a pivotal seat on the court less than 50 days before the election.

(Full Story)

Mod Note:  Lets try not to emulate the DU when Scalia passed and try to keep it at least a little classy.

pepperonikkid

Next week the Senate will vote on her replacement

😀:clap:

• Agree (+1) 3

JerryL

Not sad, but RIP Justice Ginsburg.  Gotta give it to her...she was one tough lady.

I hope that Trump doesn't try to get a nomination through before the election.  While I would love to see another conservative on the court to counter Roberts, this would be bad and hypocritical following blocking Obama's nomination due to the upcoming election.  We are less than two months out.

• Agree (+1) 2

zurg
26 minutes ago, Magic Rat said:

By the way; why is this in the “Education” forum?

(Predictable answer:) 

Because Trump is about to school the democrats a second time? 

• Haha (+1) 3
  • Agree (+1) 1

JerryL
5 minutes ago, JerryL said:

Not sad, but RIP Justice Ginsburg.  Gotta give it to her...she was one tough lady.

I hope that Trump doesn't try to get a nomination through before the election.  While I would love to see another conservative on the court to counter Roberts, this would be bad and hypocritical following blocking Obama's nomination due to the upcoming election.  We are less than two months out.

Posted this in a different thread.  

ETA:  Looks like they have been combined!  Sorry for double post :) 

Edited by JerryL