To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
E Van der Vliet

C-SPAN’s Steve Scully Suspended Indefinitely after Admitting to Lying about Twitter ‘Hack’

Rate this topic

E Van der Vliet

C-SPAN’s Steve Scully Suspended Indefinitely after Admitting to Lying about Twitter ‘Hack’

By TOBIAS HOONHOUT

October 15, 2020 4:07 PM

C-SPAN announced Thursday that political editor Steve Scully was suspended indefinitely after admitting to falsely claiming that his Twitter account had been “hacked” after he publicly asked anti-Trump activist Anthony Scaramucci if he should “respond” to criticism from President Trump.

“Out of frustration, I sent a brief tweet addressed to Anthony Scaramucci,” Scully — picked to moderate the now-cancelled presidential debate — said in a statement. “The next morning when I saw that this tweet had created a new controversy, I falsely claimed that my Twitter account had been hacked.”

Top ArticlesReports of Trump’s Political Demise Are GreatlyExaggeratedREAD MOREREAD MOREREAD MOREREAD MOREREAD MOREREAD MORESKIP AD

Scully blamed “relentless criticism on social media and in conservative news outlets” for frustration that “culminated” in his tweet to Scaramucci, which stemmed from Trump criticizing him to Sean Hannity and calling him a “never-Trumper.”

“These were both errors in judgement for which I am totally responsible,” he said.

C-SPAN said Scully confessed to lying about his actions on Wednesday.

“He understands that he made a serious mistake,” the network said. “We were very saddened by this news and do not condone his actions.” It added that “after some distance from this episode, we believe in his ability to continue to contribute to C-SPAN.”

Scaramucci reacted to the news by criticizing the decision, calling it a “brutal outcome for a silly non political tweet.”

Last week, Scully’s tweet — apparently meant as a private message — raised eyebrows and prompted questions of bias. White House deputy communications director Brian Morgenstern told Fox News that Scully “certainly seems not to be very impartial.”

Scully later deleted the tweet and claimed he was “hacked.” Twitter sleuths then pointed out that Scully had made similar claims of being “hacked” on Twitter multiple times over his career.

Link

Looks like Trump dodge a biased reporter.  ;)

• Haha (+1) 2

LeansToTheRight

So C-SPAN is saying they are going to keep him on long term?  They are going to keep an admitted liar on their payroll and expect the audience to accept that he won’t lie again?  Must be nice to be a Democrat.

• Agree (+1) 2

Ben Cranklin

He doesn't belong on C-SPAN, and undermines what they are supposed to be. He should be cleaning toilets at CNN.

• Agree (+1) 2

Rock N' Roll Right Winger

It's nice to see a closet progtard get busted! :lol:

I never liked the guy. I could tell by his winces on his face whenever conservatives spoke that he was a proggy all along.

SARGE
26 minutes ago, LeansToTheRight said:

So C-SPAN is saying they are going to keep him on long term?  They are going to keep an admitted liar on their payroll and expect the audience to accept that he won’t lie again?  Must be nice to be a Democrat.

WTF?

An admitted liar can be trusted to report facts and tell the truth in the future?

Journalism in this country is a farce.

• Agree (+1) 1

RedSoloCup

Karma. 

Now it needs to happen to many more media hacks...

Taggart Transcontinental

They suspended him until they can memory hole the situation and get him back to bashing the President.

• Agree (+1) 2

Tikk
20 minutes ago, Taggart Transcontinental said:

They suspended him until they can memory hole the situation and get him back to bashing the President.

Foxnews is reporting:

Scully issued his first statement addressing the controversy to CNN following his suspension:

For several weeks, I was subjected to relentless criticism on social media and in conservative news outlets regarding my role as moderator for the second presidential debate, including attacks aimed directly at my family,   This culminated on Thursday, October 8th when I heard President Trump go on national television twice and falsely attack me by name. Out of frustration, I sent a brief tweet addressed to Anthony Scaramucci. The next morning when I saw that this tweet had created a controversy, I falsely claimed that my Twitter account had been hacked..

These were both errors in judgment for which I am totally responsible. I apologize.

These actions have let down a lot of people, including my colleagues at C-SPAN, where I have worked for the past 30 years, professional colleagues in the media, and the team at the Commission on Presidential Debates. I ask for their forgiveness as I try to move forward in a moment of reflection and disappointment in myself.

Link

<Emphasis Mine>

So yea.  You got busted for being politically biased when it was your job to be an unbiased moderator in a Presidential election.

And now you're b!tching that the evil Trump, somehow, made you do it!?

You were biased against Republicans when you volunteered for the Jimmy Carter campaign in High School.  You were biased against Republicans when you interned for the Senator Joe Biden in college.  You were biased against Republicans when you worked on Ted Kennedy's failed presidential campaign.

And you're just as biased now.  Fortunately for us, you fu---messed up and your own mistake outed you as a liar and a hack.

And you were too stupid to hide it.

Maybe Bernie Sanders has a job opening .....

ETA:  And it looks like Donald Trump was 100% correct about Steve Scully.

Edited by Tikk
  • Agree (+1) 4

CHANG

This can’t be true. I was told by the media that even though Scully interned for Biden, his character was beyond reproach, and he was going to be an exemplary, impartial moderator. 

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

Taggart Transcontinental
55 minutes ago, Tikk said:

Foxnews is reporting:

Scully issued his first statement addressing the controversy to CNN following his suspension:

Link

<Emphasis Mine>

So yea.  You got busted for being politically biased when it was your job to be an unbiased moderator in a Presidential election.

And now you're b!tching that the evil Trump, somehow, made you do it!?

You were biased against Republicans when you volunteered for the Jimmy Carter campaign in High School.  You were biased against Republicans when you interned for the Senator Joe Biden in college.  You were biased against Republicans when you worked on Ted Kennedy's failed presidential campaign.

And you're just as biased now.  Fortunately for us, you fu---messed up and your own mistake outed you as a liar and a hack.

And you were too stupid to hide it.

Maybe Bernie Sanders has a job opening .....

ETA:  And it looks like Donald Trump was 100% correct about Steve Scully.

SO it's Trumps fault!

large.1151203655_ScreenShot2020-05-19at11_14_40AM.png.c762e240706adabc7ce30dcb50280348.png

grimreefer

small.small.4cvkd6.jpg.ad4edf34758848c02