To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
Sign in to follow this  
Ladybird

The president of a New York college resigns after more than 700 students test positive for Covid-19

Rate this topic

Ladybird

The president of a New York college resigns after more than 700 students test positive for Covid-19

Updated 12:49 PM ET, Fri October 16, 2020

(CNN)The president of the State University of New York at Oneonta has resigned, as the school grapples with hundreds of reported Covid-19 cases within the university since the beginning of the semester.

In a statement announcing the new interim president on Thursday, State University of New York Chancellor Jim Malatras said that Dr. Barbara Jean Morris had "transitioned from her position as president" and that she wanted to "pursue other opportunities."

A spokesperson for the university told CNN that Morris resigned.

SUNY Oneonta has reported 712 student cases of Covid-19 since residence halls opened on August 17.

That's more than half the total number of reported cases from campus testing across the entire SUNY system. There have been 1,167 positive cases reported from 61 different campuses. The rising number of virus cases prompted SUNY Oneonta to switch from in-person learning to an entirely online format in late August.

Jim Urso, a spokesman for SUNY, commented on the timing of Morris' resignation.

"The Covid spike uptick was at the beginning of September. I just want to clarify her resignation did not come in the middle of that surge," Urso told CNN. "She did not resign in the midst of this crisis. We're conducting a review on what happened. It's not like she resigned in the middle of the night while students were testing positive by the dozens."

University didn't test students on arrival

The resignation of the sitting president of SUNY Oneonta comes after the university decided not to test students or quarantine them on arrival. Soon after, the University saw an uptick in positive results. By the time leadership tried to take punitive measures against students for disobeying social distancing orders, the virus had spread.

"We have acknowledged there were several issues with Oneonta's response to the implementation of their reopening plan in the fall," Urso told CNN. "Our chancellor's acknowledged that. It's public record at this point."

<snip>

Link

..and I'm never going back to my old school.

kestrel
31 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

(CNN)The president of the State University of New York at Oneonta has resigned, as the school grapples with hundreds of reported Covid-19 cases within the university since the beginning of the semester.

In a statement announcing the new interim president on Thursday, State University of New York Chancellor Jim Malatras said that Dr. Barbara Jean Morris had "transitioned from her position as president" and that she wanted to "pursue other opportunities."

SUNY Oneonta has reported 712 student cases of Covid-19 since residence halls opened on August 17.

That's more than half the total number of reported cases from campus testing across the entire SUNY system. There have been 1,167 positive cases reported from 61 different campuses. The rising number of virus cases prompted SUNY Oneonta to switch from in-person learning to an entirely online format in late August.

"The Covid spike uptick was at the beginning of September. I just want to clarify her resignation did not come in the middle of that surge," Urso told CNN. "She did not resign in the midst of this crisis. We're conducting a review on what happened. It's not like she resigned in the middle of the night while students were testing positive by the dozens."

The resignation of the sitting president of SUNY Oneonta comes after the university decided not to test students or quarantine them on arrival. Soon after, the University saw an uptick in positive results. By the time leadership tried to take punitive measures against students for disobeying social distancing orders, the virus had spread.

"We have acknowledged there were several issues with Oneonta's response to the implementation of their reopening plan in the fall," Urso told CNN. "Our chancellor's acknowledged that. It's public record at this point."

<snip>

Link

Just wear your obedience mask....that should do it!..Did you really go there?

Kestrel...

NH Populist

And odds are, they'll all live happily ever after...

Ladybird
26 minutes ago, NH Populist said:

And odds are, they'll all live happily ever after...

Likely, but in a few weeks it will be Thanksgiving break. Maybe not so happily for their older relatives.

• Disagree (-1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 2

Ladybird
1 hour ago, kestrel said:

Just wear your obedience mask....that should do it!..Did you really go there?

Kestrel...

Yes.

• Agree (+1) 1

kestrel
Just now, Ladybird said:

Yes.

Good on ya!..what was your major? if I may ask?

K...

Squirrel
3 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

Likely, but in a few weeks it will be Thanksgiving break. Maybe not so happily for their older relatives.

About as unhappy as any other year when the kids came to thanksgiving dinner with the flue. But by all means panic and stay scared. Normal people would prefer to live their lives.  But hey rock on maybe you can get anouther covid stimulus check or covid bonus check. Guess what this year isn’t a record death count in the us. What it is is a record low death count for most other thing. Gee how is that possible?

• Like (+1) 2
  • Haha (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

Ladybird
7 minutes ago, kestrel said:

Good on ya!..what was your major? if I may ask?

K...

Economics and Music

• Agree (+1) 1

kestrel
Just now, Ladybird said:

Economics and Music

Music?..really?..what do you play..Instrument I mean?

K...

• Disagree (-1) 1

Tikk
39 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

Yes.

Well, I did not think the girl, could be so cruel

• Like (+1) 1
  • Haha (+1) 1

BootsieBets
3 hours ago, Ladybird said:

<snip>

Link

Wow, like in the rest of your life never?  Just on principle to “punish” them or because you believe the school is permanently infected and can never be decontaminated?

Tikk
46 minutes ago, BootsieBets said:

Wow, like in the rest of your life never?  Just on principle to “punish” them or because you believe the school is permanently infected and can never be decontaminated?

It's from a Steely Dan song ....

Ladybird
1 hour ago, zurg said:

Do the older relatives have to go to thanksgiving with them? Why can’t they skip this year? 

This logic is a lot like the one used by democrats on illegal immigrants. Oh, the parents are being deported. The kids can stay so we’re tearing families apart! What a horrible policy, parents losing their kids! Wait, why don’t the parents take the kids with them? 

The point is the high rate of infection could have been avoided with testing and enforcement of social distancing, as has been done at other SUNY campuses. 

• Agree (+1) 1

Ladybird
8 minutes ago, Tikk said:

It's from a Steely Dan song ....

Great song. Did you know G Gordon Liddy is mentioned?

Tikk
4 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

Great song. Did you know G Gordon Liddy is mentioned?

/shrug

It was 1973.

DIdn't know that was "Daddy G" though.

zurg
18 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

The point is the high rate of infection could have been avoided with testing and enforcement of social distancing, as has been done at other SUNY campuses. 

That wasn’t YOUR point with the comment about older relatives though. I responded to that one; now you see I had the better point; you moved the goalposts. Nice. 

Ladybird
3 minutes ago, zurg said:

That wasn’t YOUR point with the comment about older relatives though. I responded to that one; now you see I had the better point; you moved the goalposts. Nice. 

Don't tell me "that wasn't your point". I know better than you what point I am making. It's rude.

There are 700+ students who are infected and will be going home in a few weeks. 

zurg
15 minutes ago, Ladybird said:

Don't tell me "that wasn't your point". I know better than you what point I am making. It's rude.

I don’t care AT ALL if you think my revealing of your misplaced point is rude. 

Dean Adam Smithee
6 hours ago, Ladybird said:

SUNYO president resigns a 1/4-$mil/yr job over from THIS???

I'll bet a good yankee dollar against a Tim Horton doughnut that there's a "MORE" to this story.

kestrel
1 hour ago, Ladybird said:

If these people were not symptomatic #1 How infectious are Non-symptomatic carriers? #2 How long are the one's that are symptomatic "Infectious?" #3 How useful/accurate are the "Tests" were they the "PCR" tests?

Kestrel...

Big Dave

Cases mean nothing.  How many actually showed symptoms.  Spikes in Europe, but not deaths and hospitalizations.

• Agree (+1) 1

kate318

Yep, it’s called herd immunity. Anyone who thinks masks, social distancing and lockdowns will stop the virus are dreaming. Perhaps if we stopped doing what clearly isn’t working and took another look at actual human biology and immunology, we might find a better strategy. There is a word for doing the same thing over and over, and expecting different results. In my world, we will continue to work, see our families and friends, and carry on with our lives, including a nice Thanksgiving dinner. Get busy living, or get busy dying. Your choice.

• Best Post (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 2

Bad_Apple

So I would like to know how many students tested positive for being clueless zombies.  

• Haha (+1) 1