To change color scheme, click on themes at bottom of page ×
RightNation.US
MTP Reggie

Is It Legal for Liberals to Move to Georgia So They Can Vote in Runoff Elections?

Rate this topic

MTP Reggie

Is It Legal for Liberals to Move to Georgia So They Can Vote in Runoff Elections?
Leah Barkoukis| @LeahBarkoukis
Posted: Nov 18, 2020 3:05 PM 
Townhall

<More Here>

The two Senate runoff elections in Georgia will determine whether Republicans hold a majority in the upper chamber or if it will be tied, with the next vice president serving as the tiebreaker. If the litigation does not go in President Trump’s favor, that VP will be Kamala Harris.

That’s why what happens in The Peach State will determine the future of this country. With so much at stake, there has been serious talk of liberals, especially Californians, moving down south to vote in the January runoff elections.

One of the biggest names to say they are doing this is former Democratic presidential candidate Andrew Yang.

Great news #yanggang - Evelyn and I are moving to Georgia to help @ossoff and @ReverendWarnock win! This is our only chance to clear Mitch out of the way and help Joe and Kamala get things done in the next 4 years. More details to come but let’s go!!! ???????? https://t.co/egcdwqC1qZ

— Andrew Yang?????? (@AndrewYang) November 8, 2020

He’s not alone.

Others are prepared to physically travel to Georgia. Manny Yekutiel, a political activist who owns a civic engagement space in San Francisco’s Mission District, said he has been bombarded with calls asking him: “When do I move to Georgia? Where can I stay? Should I get a block of hotel rooms?” (Fox News)

But this raises a serious question: Is it legal?

(snip)

<More Here>

Dutch13

To me, it should not be legal.  They already voted in the 2020 General Election in another state.  If Georgia allows it, they were stupid to ever allow such a travesty.

Dutch13
27 minutes ago, MTP Reggie said:

But this raises a serious question: Is it legal?

<More Here>

Since it is behind a paywall......is it legal, MTPReggie?

Edited by Dutch13

MTP Reggie
22 minutes ago, Dutch13 said:

Since it is behind a paywall......is it legal, MTPReggie?

It's not a pay wall - only a registration wall. Although, sometimes I don't have to be signed in to access Townhall stuff, and sometimes I do.

Dean Adam Smithee

Being IN Georgia, I can answer that: Yes, it's "legal", sort of, but it's no cakewalk. 

Georgia requires Gov't issued photo ID to vote, generally speaking that means Drivers License (or State ID if you don't drive) . GA is a "Real ID" state, and requires "proof of residence" such as a utility bill. In GA, voter registration follows your D/L (or ID card), and bear in mind that this cancels whatever you had in the state you came from.

So, YES, jump through those hoops - Move here, rent an apartment, sign up for utilities, wait for a utility bill to arrive, take the bill to the DMV and get a GA D/L - AND get all that done in the next two weeks because the registration deadline is December 7th - then, YES, you can vote in the Jan 5th runoff.

However...

WXGA Fox 24 Macon: 'Going to have a hard time': Thinking of moving to Georgia just to vote? Think again.

MACON, Ga. (WGXA) – As all eyes are turned towards Georgia for two upcoming Senate runoff races, some might be looking to cast their vote when they aren't eligible.

Secretary of State Brad Raffensperger gave a stern warning to those who might seek to move to Georgia with the sole purpose to illegally register and vote in the historic Senate races, which would decide which party holds the majority of the U.S. Senate.

Let me be clear, those who come to Georgia with the intention of voter fraud will be prosecuted.

Raffensperger continued, “We thoroughly investigate every single allegation of voter fraud. Anyone is welcome to move to the state named the No. 1 place to do business. However, let me warn anyone attempting election mischief: If you illegally participate in our elections, you might be spending a lot more time in Georgia than you planned.”

But what are the determining factors to decide if someone has illegally registered to vote?

"We have people moving into the state of Georgia and registering to vote in legal ways," explains Cathy Cox, Dean of Mercer Law and former Secretary of State. "But it is illegal to vote, or register to vote in Georgia if you do not intend to become a permanent resident of Georgia for the foreseeable future."

For example, a college student can legally register to vote in the state of Georgia. As an attendee of a Georgia college, they have declared themselves to be a resident of the state as they live and pay taxes in the state.

Cox explains, "If you are only here for a temporary visit, then that is not considered to be residency."...

...Cox says Georgia law gives a number of criteria that determine residency, from someone's driver's licenses to their tax status, to corroborate they are filing taxes where they say they live...

...If it is proven that someone has falsely registered to vote with the intent of committing voter fraud, they would be facing felony charges. "A felony crime punishable for up to ten years in prison and a fine up to $ 100,000," says Cox. "This is not something to sneeze at."

Edited by Dean Adam Smithee
  • Like (+1) 1
  • Best Post (+1) 1

gregor

That this conversation is even being had, says all we need to know about this entire election, and all of the fraud being perpetrated by the democrat party.  

They will be stopped..  one way or the other.

• Disagree (-1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 4

zurg
58 minutes ago, gregor said:

That this conversation is even being had, says all we need to know about this entire election, and all of the fraud being perpetrated by the democrat party.  

They will be stopped..  one way or the other.

Every fair minded person should immediately recognize this, jump up and say, I'm not going to even consider your attempts at explaining something that you obviously shouldn't do.

Hieronymous

It's only legal if they move there from California, and they don't come back.