Muir Woods, Queer Woods

Rate this topic

Martin

Muir Woods, Queer Woods

'Rod Dreher, Author at The American Conservative

Muir Woods, Queer Woods' | The American Conservative

Home/Rod Dreher/‘Muir Woods, Queer Woods’
‘Muir Woods, Queer Woods’

Ranger Ricky Martin and the National Park Service queer the Muir Woods for you (NPS video)
NOVEMBER 19, 2020|7:57 PM
ROD DREHER

Ever been to the Muir Woods, the redwood forest north of San Francisco? It is like heaven on earth. First time I went, I thought, “So this is why people become druids and worship trees.” It is not only one of the great treasures of America, but of the world. To enter the Muir Woods is to walk into a garden of transcendence.

Here’s what the National Park Service tells you about the Queer Ecology of the Muir Woods. Excerpt:

Queer ecology is the series of practice that reimagines how people think about nature. It studies gender, sexuality, and behavior in the natural world. It uses the word “queer” because it draws from a related field called queer theory. Queer theory studies dominant, social norms around sexuality and the way those norms hurt people who are queer. Queer ecology looks at how dominant, social norms impact our understanding of nature.

A common way mainstream American society understands nature is in “either/or” boxes like “male/female,” “natural/unnatural,” and “human/nature.” Looking at nature with our societal norms, we might look at two spiders and assume the big one is the male or “dad” and the smaller one is the female or “mom.” Queer ecology investigates if the norms we put on people apply to plants, animals, and insects. Often, the answer is no, just like the answer is no with the spider example above. In many species of spiders, the physically larger spiders are female. Many times these societal perceptions don’t universally apply to people either. When we impose our societal norms on nature, we miss how diverse nature really is. But when we learn to recognize societal norms and question them, we can more accurately study the natural world.

The Redwood forest is a wonderful place to experience queer ecology. When we look at Muir Woods in the lens queer ecology provides, we see past the structures that we have traditionally held to be true in nature. Redwood forest ecosystems are so diverse and there is a lot we can learn from this incredible variation. Here are a few examples of queer ecology in the redwood forest.

Video (U.S. National Park Service) (nps.gov)

Your tax dollars at work.  

Hieronymous

So if I go to a redwood grove and say, "these trees are awesome", does that make me a homophobe?

• Haha (+1) 2

Ticked@TinselTown

Oh, FFS.

• Agree (+1) 2

Ticked@TinselTown
1 minute ago, Natural Selection said:

Plenty of big Mom/small Dad examples in human relationships. To me, queer ecology would be two spiders of the same sex trying to have sex with each other.

And the teacher of the course about ecology would require their students to engage in it as well to pass the class.

Natural Selection
3 minutes ago, Ticked@TinselTown said:

And the teacher of the course about ecology would require their students to engage in it as well to pass the class.

Wouldn't surprise me a bit. :shrug:

Howsithangin
56 minutes ago, Ticked@TinselTown said:

Oh, FFS.

Precisely

• Haha (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

Dean Adam Smithee
4 hours ago, Martin said:

Ever been to the Muir Woods, the redwood forest north of San Francisco? It is like heaven on earth. First time I went, I thought, “So this is why people become druids and worship trees.” It is not only one of the great treasures of America, but of the world. To enter the Muir Woods is to walk into a garden of transcendence.

Here’s what the National Park Service tells you about the Queer Ecology of the Muir Woods. Excerpt:...

Equivalent to Muir woods when we lived in Portland ORE was "Forest Park", miles and miles of forest and hiking just west of the city limits. Equivalent in the Atlanta area is Red Top Mountain State park about half an hour north. Not to mention Kennesaw Mountain, Stone Mountain plus innumerable county parks.

I can state for an absolute fact:  Mrs Smithee and I have hiked all of the above and at not time whatsoever did any "Queer" thought ever enter my mind.   

EtA: And to whomever gave me that "thumbs down":  Yeah, well, sucks to be YOU that you've never seen Mrs. Smithee nekkid in either Forest Park OR or Red Top Mtn GA.

Edited by Dean Adam Smithee
  • Disagree (-1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 4

Dean Adam Smithee
2 hours ago, Martin said:

Redwood trees are monoecious.  That is, they pollinate themselves as each tree has both male and female sex organs.  They do not, however, sue a baker to force him to bake homosexual-themed cakes for them.  They do not claim to be able to change their sex at will and they do not conduct Monoecious Pride Parades.  

I assume some SJW in the National Park Service thought this Queer Ecology video would gain him applause from liberal nut jobs.  Yet, his or her or zits's abuse of his, her or zits's position to voice a personal political opinion in guise of a biology lesson is a good example of why Americans hate their government.  I wish he would make like a redwood and go f**k himself.  

An expression I grew up with in the '60's/'70s was, "Make like a tree and leave"

Rock N' Roll Right Winger
2 hours ago, Martin said:

Redwood trees are monoecious.  That is, they pollinate themselves as each tree has both male and female sex organs.  They do not, however, sue a baker to force him to bake homosexual-themed cakes for them.  They do not claim to be able to change their sex at will and they do not conduct Monoecious Pride Parades.  

I assume some SJW in the National Park Service thought this Queer Ecology video would gain him applause from liberal nut jobs.  Yet, his or her or zits's abuse of his, her or zits's position to voice a personal political opinion in guise of a biology lesson is a good example of why Americans hate their government.  I wish he would make like a redwood and go f**k himself.  

:lol:

Edited by Rock N' Roll Right Winger
  • Like (+1) 1

tonguezilla

Been to the redwoods, several times....did'nt see any queers there.

But, a few rest stops on the freeway...now thats a different story.

• Best Post (+1) 1
  • Agree (+1) 1

Dean Adam Smithee
1 hour ago, tonguezilla said:

Been to the redwoods, several times....did'nt see any queers there.

But, a few rest stops on the freeway...now thats a different story.

LOL

FWIW, "WORST"  I've  ever seen was a skank giving a BJ in the Men's room in the Infield of the Indy 500. Like Ewwww. Really? Here?

gravelrash

Ranger Ricky Martin and the National Park Service queer the Muir Woods for you (NPS video)

"Service" and "queer" in the same sentence.  I see what you did there.

ricky-martin-292x352.jpg

Edited by gravelrash
  • Haha (+1) 1

MontyPython
12 hours ago, Dean Adam Smithee said:

An expression I grew up with in the '60's/'70s was, "Make like a tree and leave"

Make like a hockey player and get the puck outta here.

(Hat tip Tom Waits)

:giggle: 

Howsithangin

there are so many paths to a joke here...  hardwood, "in the bush", morning wood...

:whistling:

Howsithangin
18 hours ago, Martin said:

I wish he would make like a redwood and go f**k himself.  

It is distinctly possible that he/she/it/xe/xi/xo/fum has tried

oki

Gee, after not only walking through the woods in the pre dawn pitch black through the late morning sun rise the only thoughts that entered my mind is where are the f'ng dear and damn what the F has got those Coyotes so excited, holy sh$t they are close, crap I gotta' pee, I'm hungry, I'm thirsty, crap I gotta' pee again, and damn sun is up and I'm colder know then when it was still dark...freaken' a.  Also I am ready to shoot that f'ng squirrel already, yes I got a bead on the little ba$tard!   Also, those son's a b$tches, it's still dark and they are shooting? What the F already.   Or, yesterday morning, who is the mother f'ng, co$$sucking, a$$hole who runs a chainsaw in the morning on opening weekend? What a s.o.b.

Funny thing, never once did even the most remote gee I wonder if the trees and animals are queer pop into my head.